“LADEEZ EVENT MARCH 2012”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
London, United Kingdom
“LADEEZ EVENT MARCH 2012”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Myself and two others helped to organize a group of ladies to enjoy the overnight stay package (15) rooms were ready on time for check-in. Dinner order was excellent all dishes arrived at our table at the same time and was very tasty. We were blessed with a gorgeous buffet breakfast which my daughter (19) had double amounts. Staff were friendly and helpful. There was a little mishap in the spa area which was more than compensated with free drinks at our private lunch in the function room. I would like to say many, many thanks to Sandra in Spa, Anna Osypowicz and my especially Becky my therapist (i need to return soon - fabulous treatment). If you are looking for beautiful quiet surroundings, quality food and good value visit Sopwell House. Myself and my daughter loved and will definitely be back very soon.

Room Tip: The rooms on higher levels have better tvs, etc we're told
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for your kind comments recently posted on Trip Advisor, and I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay. Your comments have of course been passed to the members of staff that you mentioned, and we hope to be able to welcome you back to Sopwell House in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
UK
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Ok, I didn't really experience the hotel restaurant, bar or leisure facilities.
I did however have a very nice room, excellent bed. My room was quiet, there was no light ingress (heavy curtains ensured a really dark room) and really good pillows.
Breakfast was very nice and staff efficient and courteous.
Free wifi which is great.
Nothing bad to say about my stop here, would use again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
May I thank you for the recent comments you have posted on Trip Advisor, and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us recently, and I do hope that you will be able to visit us again, either on a business or recreational stay.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Booked a party for 150 people. We had it confirmed by email. Today we were meant to sort out the final details, only to be told we could not have our party on the date as they had given the room to a wedding.
Very poor service and communication from the start. No wonder they lost our booking!!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Pauline M
In response to your posting on Trip Advisor recently, firstly may I say how sorry I was to learn that you have experience incredible inconvenience whilst trying to book your event with us. I understand that we experienced a problem with yhour booking system whilst moving offices, and it did not provisionally hold your booking as we had requested it to do. I am aware that our Conference and Events department are holding an alternative date for you, and I would very much like to be able to arrange and alternative solution for you in order to satisfy your needs and expectations. Please do feel free to contact me directly, and I would be delighted to assist you.
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Very disappointing. Whilst the staff were pleasant they did not have a clue how to wait at table. From not being able to open a bottle of wine to then spilling it over the table , smiling and just leaving it. The food was mediocre. They did not have all of the ingredients for our starter. The waitress did not know what a creme brulee was and asked us to point to it on the menu. When it finally arrived it was tasteless and practically void of the lovely topping. This was mentioned but did not receive any response. As i was in a socially difficult situation i did not feel i could take this any further. Do not bother to have a coffee in the lounge as an after thought as it was like water. We felt the staff were inexperienced and lacked training. I have just tried telephoning the hotel but nobody was picking up.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
I was sorry to learn of your recent experience in The Brasserie Restaurant and was disappointed that you have left the Hotel feeling as you do, which does not reflect our usual standards. I have spent some time with our Head Chef and also my Brasserie Manager, and have addressed the issues you have raised, in order that they will not re-occur in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion on Trip Advisor, we do value our guests feedback, both positive and negative and hope that you will return to Sopwell House in the future. However, please feel free to contact me and I will be delighted to discuss the matter further if you wish.
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

my advice is dont ever go to their new years eve do - it was advertised as a "hollywood glamour" night. My friend and I paid a hefty £270 which was promised to be a fabulous evening- instead, we had a band that couldnt play, a meal that was less than average and staff that couldnt be bothered. What an absolute waste of money - never again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne C
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for posting your comments and I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with our New Year's Eve Gala. Whilst I have been with the company a very short time, I do understand from previous years that our Gala's are always an enormous succes, and I would like to let you know that we have since carried out major management changes, and when planning this year's events will most certainly take your comments into consideration.

I would very much like to hear from you and if you could please contact me, I would be delighted to speak with you and I am looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Alessandro Convertino
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed on a Spa package and it was wonderful. Lovely treatments, nice food, very comfortable bed and fantastic friendly staff, (especially in the Brasserie) This was our first break since my youngest son (nearly 3) was born so it was so important that it went well and we were not disappointed. They even let us check out later at no extra cost. My only tiny criticism would be that the Brasserie and Bar area's get very warm. Great if you are sitting in a dressing gown during the day but not so good at night. Felt a little uncomfortable after a while. Would that stop me from going back?...absolutely not it was just lovely.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Aston Clinton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I have just returned from a stay at Sopwell House on their Lazy Sunday package. We had an excellent time, the newly refurbished pool is lovely and all the facilities are excellent. The Lazy Sunday package is such a great deal and the food is all superb. Would highly recommend Sopwell House and have stayed their about 4 times now and I thoroughly enjoy it every time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the tyime to post your nice comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our newly refurbished pool and I do hope to welcome you back to Sopwell House in the near future.

Alessandro Convertino
#5 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!