“time to relax”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 6 May 2012

For my birthday my sweetheart booked a spa break at sopwell house. Jenny took the booking, very warm and friendly, sorted all my spa treatment times out and we had a lovely junior suite for the night as a free upgrade due to visiting a year ago and not having the best of service. Had to move lunch to the next day, not a problem and staff very accommodating. Arrived, dealt with efficiently, very big reception area, brick work, lots of sofas, chairs and a fireplace(not on), it was a bit chilly in that area.

Room spacious, reasonable bathroom although a little small (I suppose we are in the UK so the norm really.) Lovely huge bed and very comfortable, lounge area and a tiny balcony but still a nice touch. Did see the standard room and much nice to have the space in the junior suite. The rest of the hotel grounds are lovely and well kept and would be beautiful in the summer.

Spa modern, clean and staff very friendly. No need for change for the lockers, all digital you just enter a code. Had a full body massage and enjoyed every second, very professional.

Dinner was in the more casual dinining area with a set menu (fine dining area did look very nice and I would think definitely worth trying on another visit.) Dinner was okay, nothing special but value for money. Mandy the manager came over and said hello which was very nice and she was always smiling. The dinner was a bit bland on the old taste buds. Duck starter was however very tasty, lamb okay maybe better to go for the seabass on reflection, desserts okay. Choice of four starters, mains and desserts so most people could find something they fancied.

Not a noisy hotel but there was a wedding going on so more noise then usual I would think and lots of people but it did not bother us the slightest. Bar and lounge area for after dinner but I did not see a pooltable not to say there isn't one. Lounge area also near the spa with nice views of the gardens and big loungy chairs and a bar ( I think that would be used in the daytime rather than the evening but I am not sure.)

Breakfast lovely, all very fresh and a very good range of food from cereal, fruit, pasteries to a full english. Went for a swim, and a sauna, again very clean and not crowded. Changing rooms modern and clean with facilities for drying your hair. Had a pedicure and manicure and the staff were chatty and friendly. Extended the checkout from 11 to 12 without extra charge which was good because it meant we could go back to the room and get showered and changed before checking out and then have a relaxing lunch.

Lunch was a three course buffet which was really tasty; salmon, meat pastries, fresh veg, pasta, noodles and a beef type stew so lots to choose from as well as a salad bar, bread, cheese board and minature desserts all very tasty. Mandy came over and asked how our stay was which was lovely and she was still smiling.

Good value for money as we had a Friday night deal; three course lunch, three course dinner, breakfast, four treatments between us, and a junior suite (*which was an upgrade without extra charge otherwise you get a standard room) all for £268 for the both of us. Planning to go again, lovely place to go for a girls day out, mill around in a huge fluffy dressing gown (can go into the casual dining area with it on no need to change) eat and have spa treatments! Much improved customer service since a year ago, I understand there is new management which has had a positive impact. Thanks for Jenny for the friendly booking and all the friendly staff, particularly in the casual dining area, aways smiling and helpful, as well as the friendly staff in the spa.

Room Tip: upgrade to a juinor suite if you want more space.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thankyou so much for taking the time and trouble to post your comments on Trip Advisor, and I was very happy indeed to read that you had an enjoyable stay, and thank you for the very positive feedback! Jenny will be delighted to read the comments and I will convey to the entire team your feedback regarding the Spa food and general service. I do hope that you will be able to join us again soon, and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sopwell House.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,418)

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I recently attended a wedding reception and ceremony at SH. Whilst it was a lovely occasion, what struck me and many others was the extortionate prices being charged at the bar for drinks. £2.25 for a standard can of fizzy orange drink (average price approximately £2.00 for six cans of the same brand) was ridiculous and the beer and spirit prices was priced in a similar manner. It became a topic of conversation as to how much you had been charged, particularly when the same order created different totals simply depending upon which member of staff had served you. The prices were still very high but it did feel that the prices were being made up as you were served. SH has a captive audience and it feels that they are exploiting this through the drinks on offer. I could add that they ran out of popular bottled drinks as early as 8.45 p.m., but I suspect you have got the drift of my annoyance. Be prepared to have deep pockets if you enjoy having a drink and have been invited to SH. Or does SH feel that the venue and it's reputation can justify these level of prices?ŷ

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments recently posted on Trip Advisor, and I am sorry that you feel our prices are not justified. We do aim to be competitive and continually carry out local surveys of other venues in the area. I will of course continue to monitor the situation and ensure that the items are changed accordingly. I thank you for your valued feedback and I do hope that you will join us again at Sopwell House in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Have been going to sopwell since 1998 last time three years go. Booked a saturday night on 28th April spa package for five and upgraded for The Restaurant A La Carte and extra time on facial.The rooms were basic and had not been updated since my last visit but the food and treatments were superb. The only downside was that the spa area was so busy we could not sit down anywhere for a while, they need more sun loungers to accomodate guests. Good value for food, treatments and accomodation

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can or four poster if you are a couple
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, and I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit recently, and am very glad for your continued support here at Sopwell House.

I do understand your comments regarding the spa area, and we have several projects in hand to improve this area to provide more space and sun loungers, and all this will be in place by the end of May. I would be very happy to hear from you first hand as to what you think of the changes.

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to write to Trip Advisor, and I am looking forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

An overnight spa break for busy mums needing time out. The spa package was incredibly good value for money - food, service, rooms all great. The spa treatments were lovely. Only complaint would be that the spa itself was rather too busy, not really large enough to accommodate the number of guests. Staff were helpful and friendly. All in all a lovely break, great value for money and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor, and I was very happy to read that you enjoyed yourselves. We are always looking at new ideas and ways to accomodate our guests, and I hope that when you visit us next time you will notice the changes we have made, and enjoy your time with us again soon.

My thanks to you again and looking forward to welcome you at Sopwell House in the near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I decided to book a spa weekend for my mother and myself and decided on Sopwell House after a few recommendations from friends. After the initial 'wow' at the beautiful setting, we were totally bowled over by the friendly and very helpful staff at Reception. The Spa itself was just fantastic - my mother is a frequent spa-goer and claims that the massage she had at Sopwell was one of the best! After our treatments, we were able to finish off the un-winding by the pool. All of the facilities are of a very high standard and the lovely Spa girls were very attentive. That evening, we enjoyed a delicious three-course meal in The Brasserie restaurant (included in the package) before an early night. Our room was perfect and spotlessly clean and I had one of the best night's sleep in a long time, followed by a delicious breakfast the next morning. All in all, I can hardly fault our weekend here. I have, and will continue to recommend it to all of my friends or anyone who is looking for a relaxing retreat and opportunity to spoil themselves!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SJ_19810
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thank you for the response you have recently made on Trip Advisor regarding your visit to Sopwell House for a Spa weekend.

I was delighted to hear that you and your Mother had a great time, and the staff will be delighted to hear your comments.

I do hope that you will be able to come back to Sopwell House, and thank you again both for the time and trouble you have taken to write and also for your continued support for Sopwell House.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

booked in for a overnight stay the staff were very helpful and always someone around to answer questions did not get to try the spa/swimmimg pool area but will do next time as a memeber of staff showed us around and there was not many people around !! and it was so clean, we booked a larger room and it was luxury and a good sleep food was fresh with no complaints would love to see what a weekend would be like yes would recommend Sopwell to friends

Room Tip: upgrade to a junior suite as loved the view and the space would recommend this to our friends
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redsetter60
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Want a relaxing spa-day? Don't go here. The pool area is full of children. You can't blame them: children like to jump around,scream and play games in water, but this doesn't mix well with adults who have left their own children at home (with a paid-for babysitter) to try and have a few hours relaxation time.
In the changing rooms one of the club members was complaining about the day package visitors taking up all the lockers. She said that members were fed up .Again, looks like another group the Sopwell isn't satisfying. To be fair, I think it is an impossible task trying to mix the unmixable: guests and children, day visitors and members, each group with separate and competing needs.
Never again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria1100
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor, and I am very sorry indeed that you have left us feeling disappointed. I do completely understand your remarks, and would like to say that this is not usually the case in the pool area, and I think was mainly due to the fact that it was half term. We are looking into the idea of providing extra areas for our members and guests, and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity in the near future to come back and review our Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss the matter further, or if I can be of any assisstance I would be delighted to do so.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Ardmore House
#8 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!