For my birthday my sweetheart booked a spa break at sopwell house. Jenny took the booking, very warm and friendly, sorted all my spa treatment times out and we had a lovely junior suite for the night as a free upgrade due to visiting a year ago and not having the best of service. Had to move lunch to the next day, not a problem and staff very accommodating. Arrived, dealt with efficiently, very big reception area, brick work, lots of sofas, chairs and a fireplace(not on), it was a bit chilly in that area.
Room spacious, reasonable bathroom although a little small (I suppose we are in the UK so the norm really.) Lovely huge bed and very comfortable, lounge area and a tiny balcony but still a nice touch. Did see the standard room and much nice to have the space in the junior suite. The rest of the hotel grounds are lovely and well kept and would be beautiful in the summer.
Spa modern, clean and staff very friendly. No need for change for the lockers, all digital you just enter a code. Had a full body massage and enjoyed every second, very professional.
Dinner was in the more casual dinining area with a set menu (fine dining area did look very nice and I would think definitely worth trying on another visit.) Dinner was okay, nothing special but value for money. Mandy the manager came over and said hello which was very nice and she was always smiling. The dinner was a bit bland on the old taste buds. Duck starter was however very tasty, lamb okay maybe better to go for the seabass on reflection, desserts okay. Choice of four starters, mains and desserts so most people could find something they fancied.
Not a noisy hotel but there was a wedding going on so more noise then usual I would think and lots of people but it did not bother us the slightest. Bar and lounge area for after dinner but I did not see a pooltable not to say there isn't one. Lounge area also near the spa with nice views of the gardens and big loungy chairs and a bar ( I think that would be used in the daytime rather than the evening but I am not sure.)
Breakfast lovely, all very fresh and a very good range of food from cereal, fruit, pasteries to a full english. Went for a swim, and a sauna, again very clean and not crowded. Changing rooms modern and clean with facilities for drying your hair. Had a pedicure and manicure and the staff were chatty and friendly. Extended the checkout from 11 to 12 without extra charge which was good because it meant we could go back to the room and get showered and changed before checking out and then have a relaxing lunch.
Lunch was a three course buffet which was really tasty; salmon, meat pastries, fresh veg, pasta, noodles and a beef type stew so lots to choose from as well as a salad bar, bread, cheese board and minature desserts all very tasty. Mandy came over and asked how our stay was which was lovely and she was still smiling.
Good value for money as we had a Friday night deal; three course lunch, three course dinner, breakfast, four treatments between us, and a junior suite (*which was an upgrade without extra charge otherwise you get a standard room) all for £268 for the both of us. Planning to go again, lovely place to go for a girls day out, mill around in a huge fluffy dressing gown (can go into the casual dining area with it on no need to change) eat and have spa treatments! Much improved customer service since a year ago, I understand there is new management which has had a positive impact. Thanks for Jenny for the friendly booking and all the friendly staff, particularly in the casual dining area, aways smiling and helpful, as well as the friendly staff in the spa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in 12 acres of tranquil gardens Sopwell House is a 4 star hotel in Hertfordshire and the former Georgian country residence of Lord Mountbatten. Once you enter this 'home away from home' our attentive staff, family friendly service and luxurious spa facilities will provide the perfect setting to your stay or event. Our Country House hotel enables you to escape from it all and is within easy reach of London, St Pancras National & International Train Station and Luton Airport. With 128 stylish bedrooms and suites including 16 soon to be completed Mews Apartments to choose from, exceptional service, delicious food and our opulent spa you'll find it hard to leave. As well as boasting 19 flexible function suites, Sopwell House has recently been awarded winner of the 2015 Conde Nast Johansens Awards for Excellence in the category 'Best for Meetings' recognising their outstanding contribution to the corporate and social world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Preferred Hotels, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sopwell House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sopwell House Country Club Hotel St. Albans
- Sopwell House Country Club And Spa
- Sopwell Hotel Country