“Fantastic, Well-Run Hotel, 5* Service - We Can’t Wait to Return!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
London
“Fantastic, Well-Run Hotel, 5* Service – We Can’t Wait to Return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

I went to Sopwell House for hen/spa weekend as a group of 10. From the minute of arrival this place had a wonderful feel about it and looked impressive with lovely modern décor. We checked in quickly, and although we were early, some of the rooms were already available to check-in. We headed straight down to have afternoon tea which was lovely, such good service, surroundings and food (and lots of it!) – I thoroughly recommend.
We then went to the spa; the pool, steam room etc was all wonderful – really good facilities, very clean but get there early otherwise all the beds disappear! We each had treatments which were wonderful – the staff are all very professional and very skilled at their jobs. I had a neck, back and shoulder massage and the lady got all my knots out! Followed by a wonderful facial – the management needs to praise the spa-staff as the reputation is fantastic and many people had heard of this spa before my arrival and were praising it. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back for further treatments – although it is pricey!
The rooms are lovely – really comfy beds, nicely decorated rooms with big telly’s! The bathroom was gorgeous and comes with little toiletries and the shower is perfect. Some of party forgot toothbrushes and the reception provided this for free (complete with toothpaste and floss!) to me these are signs of a really well run hotel! We realise upon checking in that we could adjoin our room with our friends next door and within minutes of phoning reception someone had come up and rectified this for us!
We had dinner that evening and breakfast and lunch the following day and the food is amazing! There is a lot to choose from on the menu and at the buffet and the food is of such high quality and is constantly refilled. Being a large party of 10 they ensured they reserved tables for us prior to arrival and were so attentive to various allergy and dietary concerns of the group – we were a fairly fussy group of eaters and they made us feel it was no trouble at all.
I can’t praise this hotel highly enough and a result of such a successful weekend we have decided to make this an annual trip! Sopwell House I can’t wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vicki52

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Cambridgeshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Sopwell House a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed. The rooms are very tired and in need of upgrading - tatty carpets, very spartan. The bathroom fittings were old and the bath panel was bowed and water damaged. The Brasserie was rather good - friendly staff and good food. However, the bar was rather different - extortionate prices, no waiter service and surly staff.
The breakfast service was a nice surprise - a good selection of hot and cold food and efficient staff.

We were at the hotel for a function and found the bar staff rude and again the bar prices were very expensive (with different prices for the same drinks at different times!). The staff working in the function area were not very customer friendly and felt very much that we were an inconvenience.

This hotel may be popular with football teams, but for us mere mortals it is overpriced and just not up to scratch. A real disappointment.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank haribo71
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

It would be cheaper and less frustrating to go to France...

My husband booked a last minute trip for our eleven year old daugher and us to go to. He thought: something close, relaxing and special. He booked Sopwell House through the hotel's website and we were off 20 minutes later. We should have known something would be amiss when the hotel's reception called to say they could not accomodate a child in our room although they took the booking. Instead of a suite, they put us in one of their 'apartments' which was not located at their main building, but a short walk away. OK, fair enough - it was booked last minute.

We had a pleasant dinner at their Bistro. It was nice, but very expensive. What would you expect at a hotel, right? We then had a nightcap in the bar which was like being served at your local pub. You had to go to the bar and order your own drinks. Really? For a £11 cocktail, is it unreasonable to expect someone to wait on you? Our bottle of champagne was served in a plastic cooler.

Our apartment was cute, but it hadn't been dusted for a while. The ceilings had cobwebs, the shower had mould, they had no cable in the room. The beds are nowhere near as comfortable as the Premier Inn.

The following morning, I could not get any spa treatments. Most high end spa hotels allocate appointments for guests. The worst part was the man taking the bookings looked like he relished the fact I could not get in as I wasn't wise enough to book three weeks in advance. My husband tried to take our daughter swimming. She was not allowed into the pool as children are prohibited during certain times. She is a highly educated and mature young lady who has been to spas before, but she was made to feel like a four year old. The worst part was that there wasn't anyone in the pool. Shouldn't this have disclosed prior to booking? My husband then tried to make dinner reservations, but again was turned away since they were fully booked. Again, should they not accomodate the guests of the hotel?

My husband was annoyed so we left less than 24 hours after arriving. He tried repeatedly to speak to someone to no avail. He has sent an email, the Sopwell do not have the decency to answer.

This was an unpleasant, displeasing and depressing place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank jleegirl1
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

As I had heard lots of good thing about Sopwell I booked a weekend stay for a 21st birthday surprise. Due to this being a special occasion I requested an upgrade, unfortunately this was not fulfilled. The standard room we were in looked dated, the bed was too soft and there was no pillow options, the ones provided were too large for me and my partner. We arrived Friday night and decided to go for a sauna and swim before dinner. When we walked into the spa reception the receptionist on duty was somewhat distracted by some footballers that were staying that weekend. It seemed that we were an inconvenience to her as she had to stop talking with the footballers in order to hand us some towels and robes. The customer service in the spa reception really let Sopwell down. When I was in the sauna my robe, towel and magazine seemed to disappear along with a few other people’s belongings, I found this odd as it was only 19:30; the pool area doesn’t close until 10pm. When I asked at reception to have my magazine back they said it had been put in the bin, the cleaner brought back a few magazines unfortunately mines was not in the few he retrieved from the bin. The restaurant and food are amazing, the service was wonderful. I would definitely recommend going for dinner here. The treatment were nice, although at the end of my half hour back massage I was called a different name to mine, which really took a personal touch away. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for the therapist to remember your name for 30 minutes. Overall I would not visit Sopwell house again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

four of us sharing two rooms, deal was £249 each which we were paying individually, I arrived first and was told unless I paid in full for the room, I could not have the key. This was a problem as others were not arriving for a few hrs. Receptionist very miserable and unhelpful. Most staff struggle to speak English, which can be really awkward when asking for something. My room was standard and the bath panel was hanging off and mouldy. Other than that, spa is nice although can be very crowded.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights whilst away for business. I received a genuinely friendly welcome from the reception staff both on arrival, and every time I was in the reception area. Spacious and very comfortable room at a good value price considering the beautiful building and location. Lovely cocktail bar - only had one; it would have been rude not to! Food in the Brasserie was delicious. Many of the staff in the Brasserie were new and receiving training, but couldn't do enough for you. I'd recommend.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely and rewarding review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit.

Our warm and friendly team takes such pride in exceeding our guest expectations and so I am always very proud to receive such excellent feedback.

I am also pleased you liked our newly refurbished cocktail bar (next time have two!) and I do hope we will see you again in the very near future.

Thank you once again.

Warm regards,

Alessandro Convertino
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

My first negative review.
We stayed at this place, which is close to where we live for a spur of the moment luxury weekend break with my wife and daughter. Eating, drinking, swimming etc. Booked it on friday afternoon, set off two hours later.
We couldn't have the room that we wanted, even though I booked it through their own system. Spent £240 on dinner the first night and another 240 at the bar (champagne).
Apart from the fact you have to actually go to the bar from the lounge area to order your drinks it was fine.
The next day I am taking my daughter for a swim (she had been in her bathing suit since early morning) and walk past the restaurant to reserve a table. Restaurant full, can't eat here. Apparently it is popular with non-guest.
The fact that we stay in hotel didn't matter.
Fine, we'll deal with that later. Swim time.
Walked in only to be refused. No kids allowed, only on very restricted hours. My daughter is 11 and very well behaved.
No spa treatments available either. All booked up.
So I go to the front desk to see what can be arranged. The lobby looks like the salvation army is handing out soup.
I ask at the side only to rudely told to join the queue. After standing there for about 15 minutes the line is not getting shorter.
The staff can't cope. Everything takes too long.
So we can't eat, can't swim and can't talk to anybody. Since it's about half an hour from my house we just packed up and went. Daughter upset, wife not happy, me feeling ripped off for spending the best part of a grand in an outhouse where the spiderwebs are in the shower, the silicon is mouldy, the shower head weathered and the heating not working. Tired carpets, stained mattress on the pill out bed.
I sent them an email an hour after I left stating I don't want to pay for the second night, but charge me for everything else.
I have yet to leave a reply.
Poorly trained staff, tired venue, too expensive for what it is. Unorganised.
Don't go here. Might as well stay at a premier in and have a few good dinners for the money.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank Flowerfred
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review which does not reflect a typical stay at Sopwell House Hotel.

I would like to investigate your comments in detail and would therefore be grateful if you would be kind enough to send me your contact and booking details via enquiries@sopwellhouse.co.uk.

In the meantime and for the sake of our readers, I would like to confirm we do have specific allocated time for children in the pool area for the comfort of guests looking for a tranquil experience and I am sorry this disappointed both you and your daughter. I certainly hope my team communicated these access times to you.

In addition, as your booking appears to have been at very short notice, it is highly possible the treatment time in our fabulous Spa was already fully booked and again, I am sorry you were disappointed on this occasion.

I do hope you will take the time to contact us so I can fully investigate the rest of your review.

Kind regards

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
De Vere Hunton Park
De Vere Hunton Park
#1 of 1 in Hunton Bridge

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!