We had never been to the area of St Alban's and booked a room at Sopwell House through Booking.com. We booked an Executive Room which, according to the Booking.com website, offered a separate sitting area. On arrival we found this was a misrepresentation, the website described an Executive Suite which differed from the Executive Room reserved by the hotel. Because of the misunderstanding the hotel upgraded us to an Executive Suite at no extra cost. We were warned that this had not been refurbished but we could not fault the room - a separate sitting area and a four-poster bed. The room was well-decorated, clean and quiet. However, it was approached down a corridor which was rather dark and dingy and would benfit from redecoration.
The hotel boasts a well-appointed spa and fitness centre. There are ample, comfortable public sitting areas. There are two restaurants - a brasserie and a more formal restaurant. We had dinner in the restaurant and found the choice, preparation and presentation of the food to be excellent. Breakfast was served in the brasserie. It was a self-service buffet which offered a wide choice of well-cooked food which was frequently renewed. However, there was no black pudding!
The hotel is also a conference centre and hosts weddings and on arrival we found the space for car-parking at a premium. However, the function rooms are separate and the busyness in those areas was not evident in the hotel.
The staff in the hotel were outstanding - always pleasant and helpful - the duty manager, receptionists, porters, waiters and waitresses and staff in the spa. We would strongly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in 12 acres of tranquil gardens Sopwell House is a 4 star hotel in Hertfordshire and the former Georgian country residence of Lord Mountbatten. Once you enter this 'home away from home' our attentive staff, family friendly service and luxurious spa facilities will provide the perfect setting to your stay or event. Our Country House hotel enables you to escape from it all and is within easy reach of London, St Pancras National & International Train Station and Luton Airport. With 128 stylish bedrooms and suites including 16 soon to be completed Mews Apartments to choose from, exceptional service, delicious food and our opulent spa you'll find it hard to leave. As well as boasting 19 flexible function suites, Sopwell House has recently been awarded winner of the 2015 Conde Nast Johansens Awards for Excellence in the category 'Best for Meetings' recognising their outstanding contribution to the corporate and social world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Ebookers, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sopwell House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sopwell House Country Club Hotel St. Albans
- Sopwell House Country Club And Spa
- Sopwell Hotel Country