“Wonderful wedding venue”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We hosted our daughter's wedding at Sopwell House and held the wedding ceremony in the beautiful grounds of the hotel, everything was perfect.

We stayed in room 216 which had been completely refurbished to a very high standard and it was a quiet room which we wanted after the wedding. Good size shower and separate bath.

Lots of our guests stayed at the hotel overnight and we all met for breakfast. The breakfast was of a very high standard lots of fruit and many different choices of cereals which is what I enjoy.. Scrambled eggs were light and fluffy and mushrooms delicious.

If you want to stay at a country house hotel Sopwell House is fantastic.

Louise Mason

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous 5 star review and for choosing Sopwell House for your daughter’s recent wedding celebration.

Perfection is what we strive for each and every day and so I am absolutely delighted we delivered on this very special occasion.

I do hope we can warmly welcome you and your family back again in the very near future and thank you once again for recommending Sopwell House.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband took me here as a suprise, the hotel is lovely and the rooms are lovely too. We had a lovely couple of nights stay. The only thing I would say is that the a la carte menu was the same on both nights we stayed. However buffett food was lovely and make sure you have the Tiramasu as it is delicious. I also found the staff quite unapproachable and unfriendly. They weren't really interested in making sure you were comfortable and welcome. I had two mini spa treatments, the facial was lovely and my nails were rushed and the varnish literally came off the next day, so quite disappointed with that. We had a good time, as we always do whereever we go, I wouldn't give this hotel 5* due it's staff and the unfriendly feel the whole place has.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review following your surprise visit to Sopwell House. What a thoughtful husband you have!

Whilst I was delighted to read you thought the hotel and rooms were lovely (I agree!) and you enjoyed the food, I was most alarmed to read the feedback on our staff and I would therefore like to explore this further with you.

I would therefore be very grateful if you would consider taking the time to contact me confidentially via enquiries@sopwellhouse.co.uk.

In the meantime thank you again for bringing your experience to my attention and I do hope this isolated incident will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I am very low maintenance and so when it comes to Spa treatments, massages etc. I am a reluctant customer. My family wanted to say thank you to me, so off I went for a treat, full massage and cream tea. Fluffy white bathrobe and towels, initially I felt like a small girl learning the ropes at infant school, but the staff and clients were so friendly and helpful, it was great fun. So much so I booked for the following week.

My only criticism is that although the cream tea is booked in advance for a specific time, on both occasions there was a delay in serving it to me. The first time 45 minutes the second almost 20 minutes. Now I know this I will plan ahead. It only matters if you have to leave at a certain time. I could have stayed for a week!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Sopwell House.

Whilst I was thrilled to read your experience with us has converted you from a reluctant customer to one that could have stayed a week, I was also disappointed to learn you had a delay for your Afternoon Tea and may I apologise for any inconvenience this caused.

I have passed your feedback on to my Food & Beverage team for immediate corrective action and so I thank you for brining this to my attention.

In the meantime, I am glad you had great fun with our Spa team and I sincerely hope you will now treat yourself on a regular basis – I can highly recommend it!

Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed as part of a girlie weekend away and absolutely could not fault our experience. As spa packages go, this is slightly more expensive than others I have been on, but worth it for a very luxurious experience. The hotel is lovely and rooms are spacious and have air con and good power showers. The hair dryers in rooms are a bit naff - bring your own or use the spa ones. The spa is gorgeous but Fairly busy and children can use the pool late afternoon/Sundays which some might not like. Lots of loungers though and plenty of outdoor space. We had inclusive treatments and I think the quality was very high - they have been (in my experience) a bit rushed but my therapist was wonderful and my 2 mini treatments were carefully placed back-to-back so I felt like I had a full body massage.
As part of our deal we had dinner, breakfast and a sumptuous lunch. The food is fantastic. Waiting staff can be a bit slow with drinks etc but it was busy and the Guest Service Manager looking after our table was charming and very attentive - loving a bit of Northern Charm. Overall the venue cannot be faulted. A number of weddings took place over the weekend and it was slightly strange to wander about in my gown passing the wedding party but it simply adds to the party atmosphere.
The hotel is good at what it does - though check-in was a bit hairy as we'd paid under one name 4 rooms.
Staff were generally attentive and smiley and the spa staff were lovely. I would love to stay here again - perhaps it could be an annual reunion?

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest

It was with great pleasure I read your wonderful review of Sopwell House following your recent weekend away.

A faultless experience is most definitely what we strive for so thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed the food and your table host sounds very much like our very charming and popular Tony who is well known for being attentive so I am glad this didn’t go unnoticed. I will ensure I pass on your favourable comments to him and all the staff.

In the meantime, I hope you won’t leave it a full year before you return – we would love to see you much sooner.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Just back from staying Saturday night at Sopwell House. Have stayed several times before but not for many years. We were kindly upgraded to an Executive room which was really lovely and luxurious. We spent the evening at Hatfield House for the Battle Proms, an excellent event and the journey back to Sopwell was quick and easy.

The bed was enormous with really great pillows. The bathroom has everything you need, including an illuminated magnifying mirror.

We had breakfast in the Brasserie, which was extremely busy and very noisy (lots of families with children). The staff coped very well with the numbers of people. The food was very good with a great choice - smoked salmon and scrambled egg is my favourite. The fresh strawberries were really tasty too.

We then went to the pool for a swim. I think the pool has had a re-furb since our last visit and is very attractive with quality loungers. It too was very busy and noisy, but eventually emptied out and became more of a relaxing environment.

Lunch was in the restaurant to celebrate my husband's 60th. The food was very good, particularly my tuna starter. Sadly the old Magnolia tree has gone but the restaurant is still very stylish and relaxing. The pianist playing in the foyer was an added bonus.

All staff without exception were extremely pleasant, helpful and professional, especially the receptionist who booked us in and checked us out.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review and welcome back to Sopwell House!

May I firstly take this opportunity to wish your husband a belated Happy 60th Birthday and I am so thrilled you chose to spend it here with us.

Yes, there are been some substantial improvements since your last visit with a considerable amount of refurbishment including a lovely new luxury Spa area and pool, our public areas and many of our bedrooms and so I am pleased you enjoyed them

Sadly we had no choice but to remove the lovely Magnolia tree from the Restaurant but I hope you agree our gardens are looking as stunning as always, particularly now while in full bloom.

Thank you also for your feedback on the food which our Executive Chef, James Chapman has shared with his team and in particular for the comments about our staff. They are always so rewarding.

I hope you won’t leave it too long this time before you next return and we will be waiting to warmly welcome you back again.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband and I have just come back from our delightful four night stay at Sopwell House - it wasn't long enough!!
Although there are mixed reviews for here, I guess you can't please everyone.
Our room was a superior double and was fully air conditioned. The room was well maintained, lovely comfortable bed, large enough bathroom and much needed blackout curtains. The T.V was up to date, there was adequate teas/ coffees/ herbal teas with the tea pot!! The room was spotless, the bathroom clean and lovely toiletries.
Our champers, chocolate and flowers which we paid a little extra for wee waiting for us on the table, and the flower were gorgeous as were the chocolates and the little sip of champers I had was nice too - and it was one of their priciest!
Breakfast: Massive selection of which was constantly replaced if they ran out. We choose to have breakfast a little later on about 9.20 and there was still loads to choose from and everything looked fresh - not as though it had been left out all morning, and we had hot weather the Brasserie was fully air con throughout.
Lunch - In the Brasserie, buffett style, lots to choose from, replaced once they had run out food was lovely, waitresses and waiters where all very friendly and polite.
Dinner: Only ate in the Brasserie, seated quickly, evening staff very pleasant and know what they're doing, asked us for our drinks order virtually straight away which I much prefer rather than waiting for ever, food turn around was quick, not too much time in between but not too little, we didn't feel rushed at any stage and they were on hand with the bill once we asked. All in all the food is lovely, the service is great and all staff are friendly.
Spa: didn't have treatment but perhaps next time!! Gym was well equipped airy, spacious and cool.
Swimming Pool is perfect size, there's a few loungers inside dotted around didn't use Sauna etc as am pregnant but would use if we can again.
Outside with the sun loungers are perfect for a bit of afternoon sunbathing, nice and peaceful, although you're not allowed to reserve the chairs I think a few had been but not a problem.
We didn't use the bar or cocktail lounge etc - too many temptations of alcohol when pregnant but we looked inside and they looked lovely and inviting.
The outside is also perfect to wander around on the well maintained grass, we actually believed we were abroad at one stage as the areas to sit outside is wonderful and the weather was very kind to us. You can be served from the comfort of your chair outside and they bring the bill and change. You could easily sit outside all day in the peace and quiet.
Reception staff were very friendly, always saying good morning, good eve etc, easy check in was also asked if we had been to St Albans before and as we hadn't were given a map of the areas etc, easy check out, there is also a Porter service and lift if you are situated on the first or second floor.
Room Service is efficient - a little pricey but we didn't care!!
Only about 5 mins drive if that to local town, plenty of little shops dotted around
No problems with our stay and we can't wait to come back - perhaps with a baby in tow!!!

Room Tip: Choose a superior double, air con and spacious we had Room 123 not too far away nice little walk to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Wow! Tthank you for your superb review of Sopwell House following your mini break with your husband and may I firstly take the opportunity to congratulate you both on your pending arrival!

Your review was simply a joy to read from start to finish and reflected everything we strive for here at Sopwell House on a daily basis.

Whilst I can’t promise to deliver on the weather on your next visit, I can promise the grounds will be just as beautiful. We are very lucky to be in such a tranquil location and close to the historic city of St Albans.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I am very much looking forward to warmly welcoming the ‘three’ of you back to Sopwell House, at which time I hope you can also make full use of our luxurious spa facilities.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel offers a great place to relax aswell as providing fantastic conferences and events facilities. I spent a week here on business and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The spa and gym was a lovely addition alongside a well run, modern and inviting hotel. Business guests mixed well with leisure guests and I couldn't fault the service. All staff members were very polite, helpful and available to assist when needed. Nothing was too much trouble. I'm looking forward to going back in December. If you get the chance to try this hotel I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for the Executive suite if you can they're beautiful and have a small balcony but standard ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous five star review of Sopwell House.

It is not often we get reviews of our conference facilities so I appreciate you taking the time to feedback on your overall experience as a business guest, particularly as we were your home for a week!

I am also always very proud to receive feedback on service and so thank you for your very rewarding comments – they are always welcomed by the team who work hard to exceed guest expectations.

We look forward to seeing you again in December, if not before.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Ardmore House
Ardmore House
#8 of 10 in St Albans
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!