“Good business stay, excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
United Kingdom
“Good business stay, excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed at Sopwell house during a business trip and I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. The hotel has good facilities, gym/spa, restaurants, location is good (for me anyway, nice and quiet setting). The rooms are adequate but a little dated but that is probably in the style of the building. In room TV has a good choice of freeview/freesat channels. Free WiFi throughout which was an added bonus as most hotels charge for this (the small things make the experience so much better). I dined in the brassiere on two occasions. The food is excellent and well presented. The tiramisu was superb (I have just returned from Milan and yet I preferred the Sopwell House version of this classic desert). Service is also excellent, highly attentive and friendly. Breakfast is also excellent, good choice, catering for all needs. I will definitely return for future business trips.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review following your business trip to Sopwell House recently.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and in particular your dining experiences at breakfast and in the Brasserie - our Executive Chef and his team are of course thrilled you preferred the Sopwell House version of Tiramisu over the version you had in Milan which is high praise indeed!

Thank you for your comments on your room and I am glad you appreciate the free WiFi and TV channels on offer. You may be aware that we have refurbished many of our bedrooms already and are in the process of completing this plan and so I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again and see for yourself the fabulous new standard we have achieved – they really are luxurious and I would love to know what you think.

In the meantime, thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at this special hotel (courtesy of my mum).

A really warm welcome - little things like porters opening the main door and welcoming you make such a difference!

Checked in quickly and directed to our room - which we absolutely couldn't fault (well read on....).

We decided to do a smooch around the hotel and noticed lots of other functions on (we lost count after the wedding, a company 50th bash, charity do).

Then we realised that our room was right above all the activity. We decided to speak to reception and ask about the noise levels and they couldn't guarantee we would not be affected so we asked if we could move. The lady on reception was one of the most professional I have come across in the many hotels i have stayed in. She recommended that we move to one of the rooms at the front of the hotel (called the mews). I can only describe these as small 2 story houses with a kitchenette, lounge and upstairs bedroom and bathroom. OK, they were not as nicely decorated as the rooms in the main hotel but perfectly acceptable and, guaranteed peace and quite! Perfect. All our cases and belongings were moved for us to the new room - no fuss.

We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the spa (even managed to get some sleep in one of the loungers by the pool). One complaint about the pool areas was that it was extremely hot and stuffy. Even though we did ask them to open a window or turn the fan on, it didn't seem to make a difference. We just put up with it.

We went into the brasserie for our evening dinner which was totally full. Even so, service was excellent and prompt and food the 3 course set menu was good value for money.

Breakfast the next day was good considering how full the hotel was. Good choice, again good service hot and tasty.

Overall, this hotel is fantastic. Without doubt, service is excellent, like a central London hotel.
The hotel did really well considering that it was so busy - so much going on but this was not reflected in the service or experience.

Thank you Sopwell house for making our stay so enjoyable. We'll be returning very soon.

Room Tip: If you're staying at weekends or when the hotel is busy, ask where your room is located - if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nigel S
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for choosing Sopwell House to celebrate your very special occasion recently and may I also take this opportunity to congratulate you on your anniversary.

I am thrilled you found the team to be welcoming and professional and that the service you received throughout your stay was excellent.

We are all certainly passionate about exceeding expectations and delivering great service and I am so delighted that we contributed to such an enjoyable stay.

Thank you again and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards

Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Having stayed at sopwell hse numerous times over the last decade, I found my recent leisure break surpassed all expectations. Food, service and treatments were excellent and represent amazing value for money. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your delightful review of Sopwell House following your recent visit, particularly as a regular and loyal customer.

To have surpassed your expectations on your leisure break is wonderful reward in itself and your additional recommendation is truly appreciated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback on your visit and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Warm regards

Houston, TX. USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had a great weekend at Sopwell House for a wedding. Even to our coming in early on the Thursday after a ten hour flight. Our room was ready early. Staff, very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was everything one could want and the wedding(Narain) went off superbly.

Room Tip: Ask for one near an elevator as corridors are long.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review of Sopwell House following your recent visit.

I am aware the wedding celebration was indeed a wonderful occasion and I am delighted our helpful and friendly team looked after you so well after your long flight and managed to arrange an early check in.

Thank you also for your comments regarding our breakfast offering which our Executive Chef and his team always appreciate receiving.

I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again when you are next in the UK as it would be a delight to welcome you back.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Kindest regards

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I literally just went there yesterday and I went by myself, I must say it is such a lovely tranquil place to be. the staff are lovely and helpful. the women who done my facial and full body massage was amazing, she took care of me and having problems with my back to took care of me and i must say feels amazing. being able to just be in my robe and slippers was bliss.
gym is cool, and the studio i personally loved my own little work out time. The only problem i have is the robe was massive for me....i was drowning in it thats my only downful but thats just me being short ha. staff are brilliant and the place is just beautiful. I am definately going again and have told my mum to go there next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Sopwell House following your recent visit.

I am so pleased you had such a delightful time and felt relaxed and spoiled by the team.

I look forward to welcoming you (and hopefully your mum!) back to the hotel in the very near future for another tranquil stay.

Thank you for taking the time to chare your experience.

Kindest regards

Harrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Great hotel well run great staff room a delight lovely location stayed Over night for a lovely wedding lucky couple breakfast very good staff were very friendly anf helpful would stay again recommend thus hotel. Frances Thomas Harrow.

• Stayed September 2013
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of Sopwell House and I am so pleased you had a wonderful time.

I also sincerely appreciate your recommendation and most of all that you plan to visit us again which is reward in itself.

We are looking forward to warmly welcoming you back and thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Best wishes

hertfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We visited sopwell house for an evening charity event and stayed over. The check in went smoothly and the staff were very pleasant. We had a snack in the cocktail lounge bar which was fine. The room was offered at a reduced rate because it was a charity event so £120 instead of £169. The room was ok, decor a bit tired, the handle on the bathroom door was hanging off and it wasn't totally clean in the bathroom, wires hanging out of e heated towel rail. Shower was very powerful and hot water. Towels lovely and fluffy. Coffee and tea facilities in the cupboard. Bed nice and comfy. The corridors are noisy, creaky floors. Room service took quite a while and was cold when it arrived. Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice and fresh. This overlooks the pool. Huge queue at check out but again friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 2aspen
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent visit for a charity event at Sopwell House.

I am pleased check in was smooth and that you enjoyed your snack in the cocktail bar. I also understand the event was a wonderful success for a great cause.

As you may be aware, the hotel has been undergoing a phased refurbishment plan and I am sorry you were not allocated one of our lovely new rooms on this occasion. That said, the feedback on your room is not in keeping with our very high standards and I would therefore be grateful if you would be kind enough to contact me via enquries@sopwellhouse.co.uk with the details of your stay in order I can investigate the faults in your room as soon as possible. I would always encourage any guest to report any issues while on site in order these can be rectified or addressed immediately.

In contrast I was encouraged by some of your other very positive comments and I would really like the opportunity to correct the disappointing aspects of your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for taking the time to provide your comments.

Kind regards

4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,682 reviews
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!