“Pam”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Lovely stay as usual, just wish I had the time to stay longer. Will be back in December! very relaxing, food lovely and very friendly staff. The spa was very busy but still had nice swim used steam room changing rooms are nice to.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to feed back on your recent experience at Sopwell House and I am so glad we exceeded your expectations again.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back again next month and I hope we can make your next visit even more memorable.

Please do let me know when you plan to visit via enquiries@sopwellhouse.co.uk and it would my pleasure to welcome you back personally.

Thank you once again.

Best wishes

Alessandro Convertino

Write a ReviewReviews (2,416)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I visited Sopwell House, near St Albans (£6 in a cab from the city centre) for half-term in October 2013.
This is a beautiful hotel/spa with a superb gym and great pool area.
It is a short drive from Sopwell to The Making of Harry Potter Warner Studios Tour which is well worth a visit.
The staff are efficient and polite, nothing is too much trouble. Afternoon tea with champagne is not to be missed.
The ideal hotel for a weekend break, with or without the children.

Room Tip: Room 159 is perfect for a family of four - the room is split into two so the children have their own...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve H

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such fabulous feedback following your recent stay at Sopwell House with your family.

I am thrilled you had such a fantastic time and may I suggest for your next visit you might also want to visit Willows Farm or Butterfly World which are also very close by and perfect for families.

Alternatively, not many people realise we are just a short 20 minute train ride into London for all the usual attractions.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House very soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed for one night as part of a conference group. We rather swamped the reception area by all arriving together so there was a delay. Room was OK - not large but with a massive bed, Wifi was a bit flaky at times.

The hotel is a real rabbit warren and its easy to get lost. Those in the group who used the pool / spa facilities seemed happy with them.

A good touch is the Sky box in each room, although you cant record a programme to watch later.

Breakfast is pricey - they added £15.50 for a fairly standard English breakfast. One disappointment was the fried eggs were hard and rubbery while the scrambled were soft and watery.

The bar is well stocked and service quick for the size of group we had.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for review following your recent stay for a conference.

You haven’t mentioned your event specifically and therefore I hope our experienced Conference & Banqueting team delivered this professionally as expected. As an aside, we have some gorgeous new conference rooms on the first floor at Sopwell House which have just been upgraded and are most definitely worth seeing.

I am glad your party enjoyed our luxurious spa and pool and that you also appreciated the Sky box in your room which seems to be a very welcome addition amongst our guests!

I will pass on your comments regarding breakfast to our Chef and his team and thank you also for your very positive feedback regarding service in our bar.

Once again, thank you for taking time to provide your feedback and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House in the very near future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We had a newly refurbished Executive room with a huge bed covered in comfortable cushions and pillows, and a high quality bathroom with separate shower cubicle and bath. There was an HD Tv with Sky box. The evening meal was extremely high quality, I can recommend the scallops with belly pork, and the breakfast buffet was fairly good with lovely fresh fruit and pastries, good quality sausages (although the eggs looked like they'd been standing a while). The pool area and steam room were pleasant although I didn't have time for any treatments

Room Tip: Executive rooms were very well appointed
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review of Sopwell House following your recent visit and I am of course delighted you had a comfortable stay in one of our luxurious Executive rooms.

I am also pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your evening meal and breakfast and I will certainly pass your excellent comments back to the Chef and his team who always welcome all feedback.

I so hope you will come and visit us again very soon and manage to pamper yourself with a treatment or two as well next time.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Warm regards

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I had spent thousands of pounds at this hotel taking my company there for a Christmas party for over 150 people, all staying the night. The service last year was excellent, however when I went back for an overnight spa stay with my girlfriend the service levels were poor.
During check-in the receptionist was approached by another member of staff. She stopped checking us in, ignored us for a while and had a conversation past us in Italian with the other member of staff. Once she had managed to give us attention again she directed us completely the wrong way to our room, so we ended up going all around the hotel, when our room was quite close to reception. The spa could not accommodate 2 of us for a massage and the massage that my girlfriend had was little more than stroking. She requested more pressure multiple times, but it seems the masseuse was incapable. While she was having her massage I sat in the bar at the only unreserved table (all others reserved for afternoon teas). I ordered a coffee and the waiter responded along the lines that I could not stay long as they needed the table for afternoon teas. It was the only unreserved table, where else do you for for a coffee in the hotel unless you have booked afternoon tea. Despite wanting me to move quickly, it still took 25 minutes for my latte to arrive. Breakfast was in one of their restaurants which was very busy and noisy with lots of wedding guests, who apparently had to communicate by shouting loudly at each other. We were trying to have a quiet and relaxing time away. The buffet was not replenished enough to cope with the numbers. They have another restaurant which I have seen open in the past for breakfast, but not this time. Finally when we came to check out, they tried to charge us again for our pre-paid room. I think they had a change of management recently and sadly it is not for the better. Such a shame as my previous experience of the hotel was good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review, the contents of which were obviously most disappointing and not at all typical of the very high standards we so pride ourselves on delivering at Sopwell House and you have enjoyed in the past.

I would be grateful if you could contact me via enquiries@sopwellhouse.co.uk in order I can investigate your comments in more detail.

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

A spa break.

Our bathroom was well past it's sell by date. Various bits of it came away in our hands! Reading other reviews it would seem we must have been in one of the few rooms that were still awaiting refurbishment.

Had a couple of treatments, one a salt scrub which is worthy of no comment. A massage from Natalie which was very good.

We ate in the brasserie, average +, but in very small portions. Before we dined we had thought of booking for Christmas Day, but not after we dined.

Wine list mediocre for choice and quality.

Good breakfast.

The staff were on the whole very keen and friendly. They could generally do with better English and better training.

Bed so soft that if you got near the edge it would squash down and you need to get back or roll off.

No in room tea/coffee making facilities.

Nice grounds.

Easy parking.

A very decent spa area, although it's a tad warren like in finding it. But that's OK as you soon get your bearings.

If you go without too high an expectation, it all works.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry your visit did not live up to your expectations.

We are indeed in the final phase of bedroom refurbishment and so there are still a small number of rooms that we have not completed yet. It is a shame you were not able to enjoy one of fabulous refurbished rooms on this occasion, presumably as the hotel was full.

That said, I would like to stress that all our rooms have tea and coffee making facilities as standard which are located in a unit and also referred to in our in room information booklets.

I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast which is always a highlight at Sopwell House but I was disappointed to read your comments on your dining experience. Our Brasserie offers a buffet option and therefore guests are welcome to help themselves to the lovely choices on offer. In addition, our wine list has well over 40 different choices of wine but I am sorry these were not to your personal taste.

Thank you for your additional comments on our grounds (which I agree are stunning at this time of year), ease of parking and our friendly team. I have also passed your positive feedback to Natalie regarding your massage which is always well received.

I do hope we can warmly welcome you back soon and we will ensure we exceed your expectations in all areas.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed with a group of friends in October 2013 having booked months in advance. It was quite a shambles getting all the details confirmed prior to going and so I was apprehensive that all of the bookings would go according to plan. The actual hotel is lovely, very clean and nicely furnished. The spa treatments were wonderful but the problems were down to the hotel management and a couple of rude members of staff. Firstly, they had clearly overbooked (it's also a member's club) and there were 3 events being held there that same night. This meant live drumming and karaoke until 1am above our rooms, no robes available or lounge chairs for our short time in the spa area, nearly an hour long wait for drinks at the bar in the evening and two of us having to change rooms due to the painfully loud air conditioning units positioned by the single rooms. My advice would be that if you go, ask if they have any big parties/weddings etc on and don't book if they do! Also take plenty of cash, because for some reason they can't organise charging things to your room unless it's a credit card. Really check your bill at the end of your visit as a few of us had lots of miscellaneous spa items added on to our bill. The General Manager was good and sorted out the refunds and complimentary drinks at the end of our stay. It was just a huge shame that so much went wrong over a single night's stay..

Room Tip: Single rooms have very loud A/C units outside of them.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank WendyCShearer

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry your stay did not exceed your expectations on this occasion, particularly as you loved the hotel and spa and thoroughly enjoyed your treatments.

Obviously, I am pleased you gave us the opportunity to rectify any problems during your stay but for the benefit of other guests I would just like to clarify a couple of your points:-

We do not over book our Spa packages and in fact strictly limit the number of Spa packages available. I hope by reading our many fantastic reviews, it will be recognised that rare occasions when the Spa is slightly busier than usual with hotel residents are few and far between.

In terms of charging items to rooms, our policy is the same as the vast majority of hotels in that credit cards are pre authorised for ‘extras’ upon check in which enables guests to charge any additional purchases back to their room bill which is then reconciled and settled on departure. If guests do not have credit cards, a deposit can be made by debit card to cover extras in the same way. Cash is obviously accepted as well if this is preferred.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your comments and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Ardmore House
#8 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!