“Great place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Bradwell, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here for a weekend it was nice and quiet .the quality of service was second to none and all the staff were attentive and polite. Food was of good quality and variety. Rooms are a good size and well serviced.
The lift was some way away from my room but I used the nearby stairs so was not too put out by it.
I would definitely return for another visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely review of Sopwell House.

It is always rewarding to receive such wonderful feedback, particularly regarding our passionate team and the service provided.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back for your next visit and in the meantime, we all wish you a happy and peaceful festive season.

Best wishes

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This place is really good. Elegant, spacious, well placed, staff brilliant, relaxing, and well worth a stay. The service and food are second to none and breakfast, eat as much as you like and a massive variety. The spa is just what the doctor ordered, with an atmosphere that as soon as you get in the area oozes rest and recuperation. Overall, well worth the reason we went. Happy teddy :-)...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous five star review of Sopwell House.

Your feedback was a pleasure to read and we are thrilled we could provide the rest and relaxation you were looking for during your stay.

I hope we can warmly welcome you back in 2014.

Thank you once again and may we wish you a Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year from all the team.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Got a package deal for sopwell house. this included an overnight stay, 2treatments, 2 breakfasts, 2 luches and 1 dinner for each of us. everything was great; the food was lovely, pool was great and treatments were nice. We had an executive suite and this was very large and clean. We had a broken light and they immediately came and fixed it. the staff was lovely and really helpful. I would definitely go again.

Room Tip: executive suites are the best!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Sopwell House following your recent spa break.

I am glad you had such a lovely relaxing stay and that our team were able to look after you so well.

I hope we will see you again very soon but in the meantime may I thank you once again and we wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful 2014.

Best wishes

swansea
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We booked into Sopwell hotel for the weekend we travelled up from wales well we were in for a treat the staff were friendly and professional the Hotel was in its own grounds with beautiful gardens including a Japanese garden there was a wonderful christmas atmosphere we decided to walk into town which took 20 min the staff couldn't believe we were going to walk but it was a pleasant walk in the countryside after a busy day we deceived to order room service we ordered 2 steaks they were 1 st class I think I can say they were the best steaks ever tasted well worth the extra to order in our room the room had a bath which I love and was a good size spotlessly clean. Breakfast was Delicious with good quality produce.
The hotel was beautiful with lots of different lounges to relax overlooking the gardens the swimming pool was fab steam sauna and jacuzzi and lots of loungers to relax This is an amazing hotel. In beautiful grounds with lovely staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens in the centre of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your outstanding review of Sopwell House following your recent weekend stay.

I am delighted you enjoyed our beautiful surroundings and I must say the Christmas lights and decorations do give the hotel some extra magic, especially at night.

Your review was a pleasure to read and so may I thank you most sincerely for sharing your wonderful experience with the whole team.

Merry Christmas from all of us at Sopwell House.

Warm regards,

Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We booked an overnight stay package which included dinner, breakfast and lunch plus 2 x 25 min treatments. We were "upgraded" on arrival from a 4 poster bed room to a cramped loft apartment under the roof, bulbs blown and cobwebs and dirt on the bath tiles. We complained about the beds and had to pack up and move to a better apartment plus go and sort out all the pass keys again ourselves. Spa treatments were average although dinner was ok and breakfast had a good choice, all had attentive staff. Trying to leave was a nightmare after a conference was checking out, we got fed up waiting and handed over the pass keys to a member of staff, people and luggage cluttered the car park exit when we tried to drive off and we left fed up. Needless to say we did not bother to return for the lunch.

Room Tip: We ended up in the Mews and not the main house although it was quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, the contents of which were hugely disappointing.

I would therefore be very grateful if you could contact me via enquiries@sopwellhouse.co.uk in order to give me the opportunity to investigate your comments.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed overnight with my daughter and husband, as were visiting Harry Potter Studios nearby, so our visit was quite short but hotels first impression was very good. Fab entrance hall with open fire and cosy sofas and the grill served a good selection of well cooked and flavoursome food. Served quickly, even though they were very busy and prices were good. Room was a Four Poster room (which was just a standard room with a four poster bed in it) so nothing special but the bed was very, very comfortable indeed. Decor a little dated and the bathroom furnishings could do with updating / replacing but everything worked and was clean so absolutely no complaints. Not the heights of luxury but a good sold 4 star for a good price. Happy Customer :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Sopwell House.

A happy customer equals a happy team and so I am delighted we had the opportunity to look after you and your family.

I do hope you will come and visit us again when you next go sightseeing and in case you are not aware, we are just a quick 20 minute train ride into central London and so all the main attractions are within easy reach.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope we can warmly welcome you back in the not too distant future.

In the meantime I wish you and your family a wonderful festive season.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel earlier this year and was very impressed - great service and great rooms

During a recent visit my impression was that the current offer was no where near as good as my previous stay.
This time I was placed in the old part of the hotel where the rooms and ambiance have a much more dated feel - I was under the impression that all their rooms were modern and updated - they are not.
More critically I found the service to be poor - nothing against the staff they seemed positive enough- but it was clear they did not have enough. I went to reception four times and had to queue every time.

During a few group dinners we had guests waiting to be served as others had their plates in front of them as just one or two staff struggled to serve the large group. This continued over a couple of evenings.
We were also given a large room that was far too cold on two evenings - I was served a risotto one evening that had clearly been sitting under a hot lamp for ages - so again not overly impressive. As it is getting near Christmas they are clearly running close to staffing levels and it shows.

Management was also absent. Other guests complained that their rooms on arrival were also freezing

They need to up their game as no where near as good as earlier this year.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room in the new part of hotel - Old part is a bit 1980's in feel and looks...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry you did not enjoy this visit as much as your previous one.

Although our refurbishment is complete in most areas, we do have another phase of bedrooms being upgraded in early January and therefore I can only imagine it was one of these rooms you stayed in on this visit.

I am sorry you were disappointed with our service this time but am confident we will be able to restore your faith in Sopwell House on your next stay.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
#5 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!