“Beautiful house and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Beautiful house and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed at Sopwell House during a business trip recently and can highly recommend it. It's a beautiful house and I felt well looked-after from the moment I arrived. It is located in some gorgeous countryside and the view from my window was stunning. The staff warmly welcomed me and were helpful and kind at all times. My room was immaculately clean, nicely decorated and very comfortable. All the public spaces were beautifully furnished and very cosy. I wish that I'd have had more time to enjoy all the facilities. However I did make use of the lovely pool, jacuzzi and sauna (I particularly loved the fact that the sauna had a glass side so you could see out to the pool area). I would definitely visit again if I returned to this area. The only downside is that I did hear loud footsteps quite late at night from the room above. I'm not sure if this was due to poor sound isolation or very heavy-footed guests!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful five star review of Sopwell House following your recent business trip.

I am glad you agree the hotel and grounds are as beautiful as we do and that you found our staff so warm and helpful. The whole team are very passionate about our guest experience and so I am delighted this came across to you.

Although I note you are based in the Netherlands, I do hope you will think of us the next time you plan to visit the UK for business or pleasure. You may be interested to know we are based just 20 minutes from central London by train so we are the perfect location for either a city break or a relaxing rural retreat.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful festive season.

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here for just 1 night but feel we must go back. We arrived in the dark and all the trees were lit up and the grounds looked very seasonal. The public areas on the ground floor were exquisitely furnished and very welcoming. Our room was very well equipped and comfortable and overlooked the conservatory at the back.
Our deal included dinner, which was an Italian theme, and was presented beautifully and tasted wonderful. The buffet breakfast was just as good. I did not have time to use the spa facilities so another good excuse to return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your five star review of Sopwell House following your recent one night stay.

I must agree that the seasonal decorations make the hotel even more beautiful and inviting than usual.

Thank you also for your valuable feedback on dinner and breakfast which I have passed to our Executive Chef and his passionate team who always appreciate receiving constructive feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again in 2014 and hope you get the chance to relax in our lovely Spa on your next visit.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and on behalf of all the staff at Sopwell House, Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I’ve recently celebrated my 50th Birthday and my friend took me away to Sopwell House for the weekend.

Let’s start with the Room, we were put in to the Mews which although a little tired was still lovely and I’ve been told are going to have a makeover next year we were in suite 9 which had a kitchen seating area fridge sink and twin ring hob and a large bathroom separate shower etc. the standard was really good and the room was spotless. (Well done housekeeping)

The dinner on the first night was not brilliant and we had opted for the Italian Menu which was not that greatest, we were seated in a poor position next to a baby seat right at the very back of the dining room and the service levels were not great we left the table on two occasions to ask for things like bread, butter, poured our own wine and had a good wait for the bill, not much eye contact from the Head Waiter, the wine list was good the bottled water expensive. Breakfast was terrific and plentiful you will not go hungry here, we also had Lunch included in our package which was probably the best meal of the stay, I can highly recommend George the Brassiere Manager who's attention to detail was superb he was attentive without being intrusive and being from Kerala his manners was lovely.

Treatments! well the Spar was amazing the staff terrific I had Jessica who was so good, neck and shoulders massage and foot therapy, it was FAB - U- LOUS we felt great, on the whole we had a wonderful time and I recommend this 100%.

Room Tip: We had a mews room which is bigger than the standard hotel room Suite 9 lovely little terrace handy...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House may I also congratulate you on your birthday milestone.

I am so pleased you chose to spend your special occasion with us here at Sopwell and delighted you enjoyed our ‘little pampering heaven’.

Thank you also for taking the time to mention both George and Jessica and I know they are very flattered with the feedback which is always so very rewarding to receive.

I am sorry the service at dinner on your first night was not to the high standards we so pride ourselves in delivering but I am glad that on the whole you had a wonderful time.

I hope we will see you again in 2014 and in the meantime on behalf of us all at Sopwell House, Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I spent an overnight stay with my daughter on a Spa Break for my bithday and had a lovely time and felt very spoilt. Our room overlooked the gardens and was lovely. The hotel staff were very helpful and attentive, and the food, especially the buffet lunch was excellent. But the Spa was terrific. We both relaxed in and around the pool and jacuzzi and had a couple of really good treatments. We made the most of the Spa facilities and really felt relaxed and chilled at the end of our stay. It was really good value for money and we are now planning to return in the New Year. I must add we came in December and the house was decked for Christmas and looked stunning - well done Sopwell House staff!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your outstanding review of Sopwell House.

Firstly may I wish you a belated Happy Birthday and thank you for choosing to spend your special occasion with us.

Your comments were just a delight to share with the team and it is feedback such as yours that makes all the hard work so worthwhile.

I must agree the hotel is particularly stunning at the moment with all the Christmas decorations and we are also offering a very special Christmas Afternoon tea for the festive season.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope you will come and see us again in 2014.

We wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful New Year.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed at Sopwell House on Sunday 1st Dec for an over night spa break with my partner, what can I say lovely food, service, treatments and Cocktails.... relaxing and fabulous me time, will be back soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful five star review of Sopwell House and for taking the time to share your experience.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your precious ‘me’ time and had such a relaxing break.

You may be interested to learn we are creating a couples treatment room early in the New Year and so I hope you and your partner will come back and let us know what you think.

In the meantime, on behalf of the whole team at Sopwell House I hope you both have a wonderful Christmas and a happy and prosperous 2014.

Kind regards

Hertfordshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was my second visit to the hotel's spa - a day visit this time - and the standards we enjoyed so much last time have not diminished in any way. The levels of courtesy, professionalism and cleanliness are exemplary - much, much better than in other hotels and spas of similar standing. Mention must be made again of the spa's assistant manager, Nicola, whose friendly and efficient welcome sets the scene for a lovely day. My therapist this time was Natalie K who was charming and I had the nicest facial I have ever had (and I have had a few!) - I was so relaxed afterwards that I almost fell asleep. The rooms, equipment, robes, towels, changing rooms etc are the best of any spa I have visited. We also enjoyed another good lunch in the Brasserie where the food and service was excellent. It's hard to write a review without over-using superlatives but Sopwell House is really top quality in every way.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of Sopwell House following your recent Spa Day.

You review was a delight to share and thank you also for taking the time to give Nicola and Natalie special mentions which is always so rewarding for those concerned.

We are thrilled you had such a wonderful time and hope you will also like our upgraded treatment rooms when you return next year.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

In the meantime, we wish you a wonderful festive season.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very relaxed and chilled as it was meant to be. Good value for money (special offer; treatments and one nights stay) and everything as offer listed. Excellent service and lots of lovely food. Beautiful hotel, spa and grounds. Will be arranging another break soon!

Room Tip: Shared a room with my two sisters which was very spacious and quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your fantastic 5 star review of Sopwell House following your recent spa break.

The whole team very much appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and we are absolutely delighted you will be arranging another break soon.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back and in the meantime we wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Kind regards

4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,682 reviews
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!