“Pre Christmas Stay”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Excellent hotel with very efficient and friendly staff. We stayed in Executive rooms and these were really comfortable and spacious lovely comfortable king size bed and also had separate seating area with 2 armchairs. Satellite TV was a bonus. Bathroom had separate bath and roomy waterfall shower. We ate in the Brasserie and the food was excellent. Did not have time to use the Spa but it looked really impressive so will return in the New Year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your fantastic review of Sopwell House.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff efficient and friendly.

I do hope you decide to return soon and yes, the Spa is definitely worth a visit if you do. For your information we are in the process of making further improvements to our treatment rooms which will be completed in March.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I do hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Sopwell House

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed for a 1 night spa break at Sopwell house. We stayed on a Sunday night in December. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the receptionist who quickly checked us in and made our dinner and lunch reservations. We stayed in an executive suite which was fantastic. A lot of care has been taken in the refurbishment and although we found a few niggles with the suite it did not taint our stay. The spa is fantastic and I thought that being able to use the sauna and steam as a couple is fabulous. We will return once the couples treatment room is available also. My therapist Adele was great and the massage I had was superb. My only gripe was the loungers and tables around the pools should have been cleaned more, during the few hours we were there on the Sunday there were finished water bottles and damp towels around.
The restaurant was closed as it was a sunday so we ate dinner, breakfast and lunch in the brasserie. The staff were all fantastic, there was a blonde waitress there for all 3 meals, I did not catch her name but she was so warm and genuinely friendly that she is a great asset to Sopwell house! Dinner was served a la carte and was nice but I would choose to dine in the restaurant next time we visit. Breakfast and lunch were both self service and as a self confessed hater of buffets, I can honestly say the areas where the food were kept were spotless, food was replenished frequently and both meals were of a good standard. Plenty of choice for breakfast and lunch.
Every staff member we came into contact with were friendly and attentive.
I would definitely recommend Sopwell house for a spa break whether a romantic stay or a girlie break.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 10,661,981

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous recent review of Sopwell House following your recent spa break and in particular for taking the time to highlight some of the staff you came into contact with during your stay.

I cannot underestimate how rewarding this feedback is and your recommendation is very much appreciated.

For your future reference our fine dining Restaurant is open for dinner from Wednesday to Saturday each week.

Thanks once again and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the near future to try out our new couples treatment room which I am pleased to advise will be ready in March.

Best wishes

Reviewed 21 December 2013

On arriving at Sopwell house the Christmas lights on the beautiful hotel, took our breath away.
The reception was large and very welcoming.,the receptionist was very informative and a concierge took our luggage to our room, he was very friendly. our room was lovely very spacious, clean, and the bed was large and extremely comfortable.
We were there for my birthday celebrations and we had other family members join us.
We ate in the brasserie, the menu was very good and we all found something that we liked.
The surroundings were very cosy and the staff very efficient ,they even bought out a cake singing to me, which made my evening even more special.
After dinner we went to the cocktail bar for a drink, then made our way to their main reception sat by the lovely fireplace looking around thinking how individual this hotel is, it really stands out from others.
All this and only a stones throw away from St. Albans City centre, which we found very quaint.
So Sopwell we will defiantly be back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review of Sopwell House following your recent birthday celebrations and may I firstly wish you a belated Happy Birthday.

I am so pleased you chose to spend your special occasion with us and I must admit the hotel is looking particularly breathtaking at the moment so thank you for your fabulous feedback which is always rewarding for the whole team.

Your experience sums up all we strive for here at Sopwell House and so I look forward to warmly welcoming you back when you next venture to St Albans.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and on behalf of us all here at Sopwell House, Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We held our office Christmas Party at Sopwell House and we were extremely pleased with the excellent service provided to us on the evening. The staff were extremely helpful and could not have been more accommodating and the function room looked absolutely amazing. We had lots of positive feedback from our guests, complimenting the food and the service and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your fantastic review of Sopwell House following your recent Christmas Party.

We have had an amazing festive season so far and all the team are thoroughly enjoying adding a bit of extra magic and sparkle to all the Christmas festivities so thank you for your feedback.

I am thrilled you have had some great comments from your guests and know how important this is to any event organiser.

We hope you will be back next year if not before!

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and we wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2014.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed at Sopwell House during a business trip recently and can highly recommend it. It's a beautiful house and I felt well looked-after from the moment I arrived. It is located in some gorgeous countryside and the view from my window was stunning. The staff warmly welcomed me and were helpful and kind at all times. My room was immaculately clean, nicely decorated and very comfortable. All the public spaces were beautifully furnished and very cosy. I wish that I'd have had more time to enjoy all the facilities. However I did make use of the lovely pool, jacuzzi and sauna (I particularly loved the fact that the sauna had a glass side so you could see out to the pool area). I would definitely visit again if I returned to this area. The only downside is that I did hear loud footsteps quite late at night from the room above. I'm not sure if this was due to poor sound isolation or very heavy-footed guests!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful five star review of Sopwell House following your recent business trip.

I am glad you agree the hotel and grounds are as beautiful as we do and that you found our staff so warm and helpful. The whole team are very passionate about our guest experience and so I am delighted this came across to you.

Although I note you are based in the Netherlands, I do hope you will think of us the next time you plan to visit the UK for business or pleasure. You may be interested to know we are based just 20 minutes from central London by train so we are the perfect location for either a city break or a relaxing rural retreat.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful festive season.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here for just 1 night but feel we must go back. We arrived in the dark and all the trees were lit up and the grounds looked very seasonal. The public areas on the ground floor were exquisitely furnished and very welcoming. Our room was very well equipped and comfortable and overlooked the conservatory at the back.
Our deal included dinner, which was an Italian theme, and was presented beautifully and tasted wonderful. The buffet breakfast was just as good. I did not have time to use the spa facilities so another good excuse to return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your five star review of Sopwell House following your recent one night stay.

I must agree that the seasonal decorations make the hotel even more beautiful and inviting than usual.

Thank you also for your valuable feedback on dinner and breakfast which I have passed to our Executive Chef and his passionate team who always appreciate receiving constructive feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again in 2014 and hope you get the chance to relax in our lovely Spa on your next visit.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and on behalf of all the staff at Sopwell House, Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I’ve recently celebrated my 50th Birthday and my friend took me away to Sopwell House for the weekend.

Let’s start with the Room, we were put in to the Mews which although a little tired was still lovely and I’ve been told are going to have a makeover next year we were in suite 9 which had a kitchen seating area fridge sink and twin ring hob and a large bathroom separate shower etc. the standard was really good and the room was spotless. (Well done housekeeping)

The dinner on the first night was not brilliant and we had opted for the Italian Menu which was not that greatest, we were seated in a poor position next to a baby seat right at the very back of the dining room and the service levels were not great we left the table on two occasions to ask for things like bread, butter, poured our own wine and had a good wait for the bill, not much eye contact from the Head Waiter, the wine list was good the bottled water expensive. Breakfast was terrific and plentiful you will not go hungry here, we also had Lunch included in our package which was probably the best meal of the stay, I can highly recommend George the Brassiere Manager who's attention to detail was superb he was attentive without being intrusive and being from Kerala his manners was lovely.

Treatments! well the Spar was amazing the staff terrific I had Jessica who was so good, neck and shoulders massage and foot therapy, it was FAB - U- LOUS we felt great, on the whole we had a wonderful time and I recommend this 100%.

Room Tip: We had a mews room which is bigger than the standard hotel room Suite 9 lovely little terrace handy...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House may I also congratulate you on your birthday milestone.

I am so pleased you chose to spend your special occasion with us here at Sopwell and delighted you enjoyed our ‘little pampering heaven’.

Thank you also for taking the time to mention both George and Jessica and I know they are very flattered with the feedback which is always so very rewarding to receive.

I am sorry the service at dinner on your first night was not to the high standards we so pride ourselves in delivering but I am glad that on the whole you had a wonderful time.

I hope we will see you again in 2014 and in the meantime on behalf of us all at Sopwell House, Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
#5 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!