“Sopwell Service stands the test of time.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Sopwell Service stands the test of time.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

It's been some 11 years since I last visited and stayed at Sopwell. The charm and quality of the place and what I experienced, has if anything improved over the years.
Rooms well appointed with massive comfortable bed, public areas at their seasonal best, food ( al la carte) was excellent and the people friendly and helpful.
Well done Sopwell.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Sopwell House, particularly as a returning customer.

I am so glad we lived up to our reputation and I am delighted you liked the improvements we have made since your last visit.

I do hope you won’t leave it quite as long before you visit us again.

Thank you again for your lovely feedback.

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

From the moment you drive up to Sopwell House to the moment you leave you will feel pampered and spoilt. Myself and my friend have been recommending it to everyone and are planning to visit again next year. Go on....book it.....because you're worth it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review of Sopwell House – I particularly loved the title!

We really do appreciate the wonderful feedback and I am so pleased we could make your stay so special.

We look forward to seeing you and your friend again very soon.

Best wishes

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Excellent hotel with very efficient and friendly staff. We stayed in Executive rooms and these were really comfortable and spacious lovely comfortable king size bed and also had separate seating area with 2 armchairs. Satellite TV was a bonus. Bathroom had separate bath and roomy waterfall shower. We ate in the Brasserie and the food was excellent. Did not have time to use the Spa but it looked really impressive so will return in the New Year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your fantastic review of Sopwell House.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff efficient and friendly.

I do hope you decide to return soon and yes, the Spa is definitely worth a visit if you do. For your information we are in the process of making further improvements to our treatment rooms which will be completed in March.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I do hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a 1 night spa break at Sopwell house. We stayed on a Sunday night in December. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the receptionist who quickly checked us in and made our dinner and lunch reservations. We stayed in an executive suite which was fantastic. A lot of care has been taken in the refurbishment and although we found a few niggles with the suite it did not taint our stay. The spa is fantastic and I thought that being able to use the sauna and steam as a couple is fabulous. We will return once the couples treatment room is available also. My therapist Adele was great and the massage I had was superb. My only gripe was the loungers and tables around the pools should have been cleaned more, during the few hours we were there on the Sunday there were finished water bottles and damp towels around.
The restaurant was closed as it was a sunday so we ate dinner, breakfast and lunch in the brasserie. The staff were all fantastic, there was a blonde waitress there for all 3 meals, I did not catch her name but she was so warm and genuinely friendly that she is a great asset to Sopwell house! Dinner was served a la carte and was nice but I would choose to dine in the restaurant next time we visit. Breakfast and lunch were both self service and as a self confessed hater of buffets, I can honestly say the areas where the food were kept were spotless, food was replenished frequently and both meals were of a good standard. Plenty of choice for breakfast and lunch.
Every staff member we came into contact with were friendly and attentive.
I would definitely recommend Sopwell house for a spa break whether a romantic stay or a girlie break.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 10661981
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous recent review of Sopwell House following your recent spa break and in particular for taking the time to highlight some of the staff you came into contact with during your stay.

I cannot underestimate how rewarding this feedback is and your recommendation is very much appreciated.

For your future reference our fine dining Restaurant is open for dinner from Wednesday to Saturday each week.

Thanks once again and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the near future to try out our new couples treatment room which I am pleased to advise will be ready in March.

Best wishes

Biggleswade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

On arriving at Sopwell house the Christmas lights on the beautiful hotel, took our breath away.
The reception was large and very welcoming.,the receptionist was very informative and a concierge took our luggage to our room, he was very friendly. our room was lovely very spacious, clean, and the bed was large and extremely comfortable.
We were there for my birthday celebrations and we had other family members join us.
We ate in the brasserie, the menu was very good and we all found something that we liked.
The surroundings were very cosy and the staff very efficient ,they even bought out a cake singing to me, which made my evening even more special.
After dinner we went to the cocktail bar for a drink, then made our way to their main reception sat by the lovely fireplace looking around thinking how individual this hotel is, it really stands out from others.
All this and only a stones throw away from St. Albans City centre, which we found very quaint.
So Sopwell we will defiantly be back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review of Sopwell House following your recent birthday celebrations and may I firstly wish you a belated Happy Birthday.

I am so pleased you chose to spend your special occasion with us and I must admit the hotel is looking particularly breathtaking at the moment so thank you for your fabulous feedback which is always rewarding for the whole team.

Your experience sums up all we strive for here at Sopwell House and so I look forward to warmly welcoming you back when you next venture to St Albans.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and on behalf of us all here at Sopwell House, Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Borehamwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We held our office Christmas Party at Sopwell House and we were extremely pleased with the excellent service provided to us on the evening. The staff were extremely helpful and could not have been more accommodating and the function room looked absolutely amazing. We had lots of positive feedback from our guests, complimenting the food and the service and would definitely recommend this hotel.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your fantastic review of Sopwell House following your recent Christmas Party.

We have had an amazing festive season so far and all the team are thoroughly enjoying adding a bit of extra magic and sparkle to all the Christmas festivities so thank you for your feedback.

I am thrilled you have had some great comments from your guests and know how important this is to any event organiser.

We hope you will be back next year if not before!

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and we wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2014.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed at Sopwell House during a business trip recently and can highly recommend it. It's a beautiful house and I felt well looked-after from the moment I arrived. It is located in some gorgeous countryside and the view from my window was stunning. The staff warmly welcomed me and were helpful and kind at all times. My room was immaculately clean, nicely decorated and very comfortable. All the public spaces were beautifully furnished and very cosy. I wish that I'd have had more time to enjoy all the facilities. However I did make use of the lovely pool, jacuzzi and sauna (I particularly loved the fact that the sauna had a glass side so you could see out to the pool area). I would definitely visit again if I returned to this area. The only downside is that I did hear loud footsteps quite late at night from the room above. I'm not sure if this was due to poor sound isolation or very heavy-footed guests!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful five star review of Sopwell House following your recent business trip.

I am glad you agree the hotel and grounds are as beautiful as we do and that you found our staff so warm and helpful. The whole team are very passionate about our guest experience and so I am delighted this came across to you.

Although I note you are based in the Netherlands, I do hope you will think of us the next time you plan to visit the UK for business or pleasure. You may be interested to know we are based just 20 minutes from central London by train so we are the perfect location for either a city break or a relaxing rural retreat.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful festive season.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,678 reviews
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!