“Little more attention to detail needed”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Oxford
“Little more attention to detail needed”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

My Mum and I stayed here for 2 nights from Boxing Day in a lovely twin bedded wheelchair accessible room. Wonderful walk-in shower but the controls for the shower were extremely difficult to manipulate especially if your strength is reduced. If you're a slow walker then give yourself plenty of time as there are some seriously long corridors to negotiate to get to the rooms! We ordered room service which arrived with my boiled egg but no egg cup, no side plates for cutting/buttering toast and only one saucer despite two guests! The second day the room didn't have some of the drinks sachets or a room service card and the twin beds had been put together as a double. The disabled parking was roped off on the second night and when my Mum asked where we could park we were told to use the general car park until we explained that was much too far to walk! Overall a lovely hotel but a little more attention needed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your recent 4 star review and I was very sorry to learn that your stay was not to the very high standards we so pride ourselves on delivering on this occasion.

We have a very experienced management team on site and I would therefore urge any guest to make contact with Reception to report any issues in order to give us the opportunity to rectify any problems and ultimately ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible.

Please do contact me in advance of your next visit in order I can oversee your stay personally.

In the meantime, thank you for your very constructive feedback.

Warm regards

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Petts Wood
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Went as guests for xmas eve morning breakfast with family members. The food was well presented and tasted really good- excellent cumberland sausages.

Loads of managers walking around ensuring the waiters'waitresses were kept busy.

The hotel does need a bit of a spruce up- but the staff were wonderful and the breakfast excellent.

Worth a visit if you have the cash :-)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ScoutPettsWood
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your excellent breakfast on Christmas Eve at Sopwell House and for taking the time to share your experience.

I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and I do hope your family also enjoyed their stay.

I hope we can welcome you back again in the very near future.

Thank you once again for your feedback

Kind regards

northampton
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My sister, friend and I stayed for Christmas this year. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. We were met with sherry and mince pies and the service just went on getting better. Our room was lovely, with heating you could adjust and a window you could open. Beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was clean and well stocked with toiletries. Afternoon tea was amazing - especially the macrons with crushed raspberries - and again the service was brilliant. The Christmas Eve dinner dance was lovely The food was great and the atmosphere very festive and fun. Christmas Day was perfect - from breakfast to lunch via the spa and pool. We even won a bottle of champagne in the quiz. Altogether a lovely stay with delightful staff. Many of the guests had stayed several times before and I can see why.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Sopwell House particularly at such a special time of year.

I am delighted you enjoyed your Christmas stay which is a period we particularly love at Sopwell House.

You are right that we do have many regular guests that spend Christmas with us and I do hope we can entice you back again next year, if not before.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House.

Best wishes for 2014

Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

It's been some 11 years since I last visited and stayed at Sopwell. The charm and quality of the place and what I experienced, has if anything improved over the years.
Rooms well appointed with massive comfortable bed, public areas at their seasonal best, food ( al la carte) was excellent and the people friendly and helpful.
Well done Sopwell.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Sopwell House, particularly as a returning customer.

I am so glad we lived up to our reputation and I am delighted you liked the improvements we have made since your last visit.

I do hope you won’t leave it quite as long before you visit us again.

Thank you again for your lovely feedback.

Warm regards

Reviewed 26 December 2013

From the moment you drive up to Sopwell House to the moment you leave you will feel pampered and spoilt. Myself and my friend have been recommending it to everyone and are planning to visit again next year. Go on....book it.....because you're worth it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review of Sopwell House – I particularly loved the title!

We really do appreciate the wonderful feedback and I am so pleased we could make your stay so special.

We look forward to seeing you and your friend again very soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Excellent hotel with very efficient and friendly staff. We stayed in Executive rooms and these were really comfortable and spacious lovely comfortable king size bed and also had separate seating area with 2 armchairs. Satellite TV was a bonus. Bathroom had separate bath and roomy waterfall shower. We ate in the Brasserie and the food was excellent. Did not have time to use the Spa but it looked really impressive so will return in the New Year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your fantastic review of Sopwell House.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff efficient and friendly.

I do hope you decide to return soon and yes, the Spa is definitely worth a visit if you do. For your information we are in the process of making further improvements to our treatment rooms which will be completed in March.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I do hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a 1 night spa break at Sopwell house. We stayed on a Sunday night in December. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the receptionist who quickly checked us in and made our dinner and lunch reservations. We stayed in an executive suite which was fantastic. A lot of care has been taken in the refurbishment and although we found a few niggles with the suite it did not taint our stay. The spa is fantastic and I thought that being able to use the sauna and steam as a couple is fabulous. We will return once the couples treatment room is available also. My therapist Adele was great and the massage I had was superb. My only gripe was the loungers and tables around the pools should have been cleaned more, during the few hours we were there on the Sunday there were finished water bottles and damp towels around.
The restaurant was closed as it was a sunday so we ate dinner, breakfast and lunch in the brasserie. The staff were all fantastic, there was a blonde waitress there for all 3 meals, I did not catch her name but she was so warm and genuinely friendly that she is a great asset to Sopwell house! Dinner was served a la carte and was nice but I would choose to dine in the restaurant next time we visit. Breakfast and lunch were both self service and as a self confessed hater of buffets, I can honestly say the areas where the food were kept were spotless, food was replenished frequently and both meals were of a good standard. Plenty of choice for breakfast and lunch.
Every staff member we came into contact with were friendly and attentive.
I would definitely recommend Sopwell house for a spa break whether a romantic stay or a girlie break.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 10661981
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous recent review of Sopwell House following your recent spa break and in particular for taking the time to highlight some of the staff you came into contact with during your stay.

I cannot underestimate how rewarding this feedback is and your recommendation is very much appreciated.

For your future reference our fine dining Restaurant is open for dinner from Wednesday to Saturday each week.

Thanks once again and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the near future to try out our new couples treatment room which I am pleased to advise will be ready in March.

Best wishes

#5 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!