“Spa Break”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We booked a spa break at Sopwell House on lastminute.com which included a nights stay, 2 25minute treatments, use of the spa facilities, 3 course dinner, as well as breakfast and lunch on the day of departure.
The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and the room was lovely - nice decor, comfortable bed, sky TV, modern bathroom. The food was really tasty - especially the 3 course dinner we had in the Brasserie. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming.

The spa treatments were very enjoyable and relaxing, although you do have to walk through the hotel (out of the spa) in your gown to get to the treatment rooms, which is a little odd.
The one negative we found with the spa was...children! Once we'd had our relaxing treatments and made our way back down to the spa area (pool, small jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and lots of comfortable beds to relax on) we found that the pool had several children playing in it. They were very well behaved children, but they were making noise - splashing, shouting, laughing etc. This did create a less-than-relaxing atmosphere, and was a surprise to both my partner and I. We found out later that children are allowed to use the pool at certain times of day, but we hadn't realised this before booking our break. It was half-term so perhaps we should have expected this, so be aware when booking that there may be children in the spa area, which is not something I have previously experienced at other spas.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House following your recent spa break and I am delighted you thoroughly enjoyed the rooms, facilities, spa, grounds and food in particular.

It is also most rewarding when guests comment on our warm and friendly team so thank you most sincerely for that.

In relation to the location of our treatment rooms, I can advise that we used specially converted bedrooms for treatments recently purely as a temporary measure whilst we refurbished all our treatment rooms. I am delighted to advise these have just been completed and so I do hope you will return soon and let us know what you think. We have also introduced a couple’s treatment room by popular demand and so hope you have the opportunity to try this on your next visit.

I also note your comments on children using the pool area and can confirm we do have only specific times for this but I am sorry this was not communicated to you in advance.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House in the very near future.

Alessandro Convertino

Write a ReviewReviews (2,413)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was an overnight stay on a valentines dinner package. We stayed in an Executive room which was very nice, shower was great and room overall was very clean, well presented and comfortable. Layout of the hotel as far as bar and restaurants is a little confusing at first. The hotel did seem quite busy and I found we were waiting to be served drinks for quite a while on each occasion, we attempted to order our drinks at the bar to speed things up but were ushered away every time but still left to wait. Clearing of tables from the bar and afternoon tea areas was slow so dirty tables sat for sometime, quite unsightly. Overall our stay was nice and I would stay again in an executive room.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us over the Valentine’s weekend.

Whilst we were particularly busy that weekend, that does not excuse the slow service you experienced and therefore I am sorry if this impacted on your stay on this occasion.

I am delighted you are planning to return and you may be interested to know that we have just completed the refurbishment of our treatment rooms in our Spa which now includes a new couple’s room which I hope you have the opportunity to try. I would love to know what you think.

In the meantime, thank you for your valuable comments and I hope we can warmly welcome you and your partner back again very soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We were staying after visiting Harry Potter studios which are conveniently only 15 mins drive away. The hotel is of a good standard and beautifully presented. Our room was overlooking the large air conditioning units and staff entrance so it was very noisy. We contacted front desk for a room change and were told that someone would get back to us. After an hour's wait, we rang again and they were very apologetic for having forgotten us, and we were moved immediately and upgraded to an executive room which was a delight. The room was immaculate but the air conditioning/ heating was relatively noisy during the night so we had to switch it off - we don't mind sleeping in a colder room but others may mind. If we are being picky, a greater supply of teas and coffees in the room and some fresh milk, rather than little UHT tubs, would have gone a long way! We ate in the Brasserie in the evening and the food did not disappoint. A good vegetarian selection and the service was attentive but not overwhelming. The Brasserie had a good atmosphere without noise from other tables invading our privacy when dining. Breakfast was also served in the Brasserie and there was a vast range to choose from. We didn't have time to experience the spa on this occasion but it looked busy. All in all a pleasant stay and convenient for our purpose.

Room Tip: Room 240 - superior double room - was overlooking a number of rather noisy external air conditioning...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Sopwell House and I do hope you also enjoyed your visit to the nearby Warner Bros Studio for The Making of Harry Potter tour which is certainly very popular.

For the benefit of our readers, we do now offer a package to include this experience so please take a look on our website for more details.

That aside, I am glad you had such a lovely time at the hotel and that you particularly enjoyed your experience in our Brasserie. I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope we will see you again at Sopwell House very soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Booked in last minute for my wife, was a bit stressed as never been at sopwell and was valentine's treat. Yet when we arrived the table we sat in the Library was great, very comfy. The service was 1st class from the moment we walked into the bar to the moment we left, the kind you would expect in a 5 star hotel, attentive but not intrusive. Food selection is to die for especially the scones. My partner had gluten free ones, the best she ever had. Will def go back with some friends as price is reasonable.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of Afternoon Tea at Sopwell House which was a delight to receive.

Afternoon Tea is one of our specialities and therefore I am so pleased you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed it.

You may be interested to know we are introducing a special Chocolate Afternoon Tea surrounding Easter which you might like to try with your friends next month – details will be on a website very soon.

In the meantime, thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We went for a meeting with wedding coordinator for my son and future daughter in law. We went earlier so we could have some lunch in the hotels Brasserie. We all chose to have the buffet which was very pleasant, with a nice variety of choices for each course. The food was very nice indeed (not best buffet I've ever had, but none the less very nice). The service was excellent and the room itself comfortable and sunny. The ladies room was spotless which for me is a big big deal. The grounds of the hotel are stunning, as indeed is the venue for weddings.
Can't wait to go back for the wedding food tasting.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jan P

Dear Guest

Thank you for the wonderful review you left for Sopwell House following your recent lunch and I am delighted you enjoyed your experience.

I am thrilled you will be holding your family wedding with us and I am confident the team will make it the most special and memorable day for your son and future daughter in law.

We look forward to seeing you soon and I hope I can meet with you personally before the big day.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback.

Best wishes

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed here last week for two days due to my birthday. It was a treat for me getting a year older. First of all we found our room was very nice. Very modern and quite luxurious. No complaints with the room at all. Probably the best I've stayed in, actually. Not sure I can vouch for my partner as she's used to 5 star travel.

The meals we had at Sopwell House were nice too. Above your usual hotel fare, but not particularly fine dining.

The spa and treatment area was ok. Nothing too spectacular. One day the jacuzzi was not working which was a shame. Also the sauna was very hot on the second day and the staff had to be called for to check the temperature. The treatments we both had we're ok too. The girls were very pleasant and sociable. I didn't have any issues with staff friendliness and attitude. Mostly all foreign of course, as we're short of eligible British people who can serve people!!

Over all a nice hotel but the whole experience wasn't exceptional, for the price.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Sporty3334

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Sopwell House to celebrate your birthday recently.

In terms of your luxurious room, I cannot ask for more than the ‘best you have stayed in’ so thank you for the wonderful feedback.

Overall I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will come and visit us again in the not too distant future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I use this hotel quite often for my business trips. Staff is friendly and reliable. Rooms are clean, but it can be a gamble what size and comfort level you get since this is an old house and the variety of room types is huge.
Food is standard, the bar is very cozy.
One thing that seems awkward at least for a Mainland-European: you'll see quite a lot of SPA folks during breakfast walking in in their bath-robe and flip-flops. Can we have a minimum dress code please?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review following your recent business visit to Sopwell House, particularly as a regular visitor.

In terms of rooms, you may be aware we have been undergoing a phased refurbishment plan and have just completed this week our latest batch of room upgrades so please do ask our Reservations team about the options available when you make your next booking and they will be happy to accommodate any specific requests.

I am also pleased to advise that following the fabulous success of our new improved conference facilities recently, we are also now enhancing our larger function suites so this is a very exciting time for the hotel.

I fully appreciate your comments on our Spa guests and as we have just completed the refurbishment of our Spa treatment rooms, we are also taking the opportunity to review some of our hotel guidelines. Currently we have dedicated ‘robe free’ areas to accommodate all of our guests however we would most definitely encourage guests to dress for breakfast.

Thank you once again for providing your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at Sopwell House very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Ardmore House
#8 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!