“Luxury and ultimate relaxation under one roof.”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Luxury and ultimate relaxation under one roof.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I visited Sopwell House for what I thought was going to be a simple overnight stay on route to Heathrow. How wrong could I be. We arrived to be greeted by a smiling doorman, and ultra efficient check in clerk. More was to follow. A sumptuous bedroom, beautiful, clean relaxing spa big enough to accommodate everyone wishing to use it. A must try is the traditional tea, worth a return visit just for that! Amazing food in the restaurant for our evening meal was followed by an equally delicious and very fresh breakfast the next day. I will definitely book a return visit and stay for longer next time.

• Stayed February 2014
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Sopwell House and we are never happier than when we exceed all expectations.

I must admit our Afternoon Tea is a particular speciality and we are very excited about our special chocolate inspired version over the Easter period.

I am delighted you will be returning and we look forward to exceeding your expectations all over again.

Thank you so much for your glowing review – it really is very much appreciated by the whole team.

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked an overnight spa break for my daughter's birthday. We both thoroughly enjoyed our stay. All staff were friendly, helpful and professional. We loved the spa treatments and the spa facilities. The room we stayed in was clean and the bed very comfortable! It was a very relaxing break at a reasonable price. Would definitely recommend a visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review of Sopwell House following your recent spa break with your daughter.

I am delighted you both thoroughly enjoyed your visit and I hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.

Since your visit, we have launched our brand new treatment rooms and so I do hope you let us know what you think following your next stay.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to seeing you both again very soon.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for just one night in an executive room. The room was spacious and comfortable. Large comfy bed, big super clean bathroom with separate shower. My only complaint was that no body lotion was provided along with the complimentary toiletries. I have found this before in spa hotels and can only assume they hope you will purchase some in the spa shop (which incidentally I did at a cost of £30). We didn't use the spa on this occasion. Small choice at breakfast but perfectly adequate. The room was rather warm even though we adjusted the air con. However, all in all it was a very pleasant stay, good value and we will return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House following your recent stay and I am delighted you had such a comfortable stay with us.

Our grounds are certainly looking beautiful now Spring is here and we are looking forward to opening up our outdoor terrace next month.

I do hope you have the opportunity to enjoy our lovely Spa on your next visit and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Best wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Could not fault this stay. We had a one night stay, unfortunetly they were fully booked for the massages but we had full use of the spa facilities and very relaxing. Great atmosphere throughout the hotel, from the fire place when you enter to the super view from the bedroom. great stay!!! The staff were amazing, since the moment we entered till the last goodbye. If you deal with anyone, make sure it's Fabiola, she was superb, so kind, so helpful and a genuine pleasure. Thank you to her. Breakfast was also freshly cooked.

Room Tip: Have breakfast there it was superb.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for you outstanding review of Sopwell House and I am delighted the team looked after you so well during your stay.

Providing excellent service is our passion and I know Fabiola in our Front of House team was thrilled with the feedback which is always so rewarding to receive.

I would definitely recommend booking Spa treatments in advance (particularly at weekends) and so I hope we have the opportunity to pamper you properly on your next stay in one of our gorgeous newly refurbished treatment rooms.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and I hope we can warmly welcome you back to Sopwell House very soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My sister and I booked an overnight spa break for Mum's 70th Birthday. We all had a fantastic time. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and newly decorated. All staff were fantastic. We were made to feel very special throughout the stay.

The management style was superb, when we did raise a concern that the hallway near our room smelt of cigarette smoke, it was dealt with immediately. We were given the opportunity to move rooms as hotel policy is to deep clean after any such incident.

Overall, I can not recommend this Hotel highly enough. We had a fantastic spa break, with fantastic food, fantastic staff and facilities. Will definitely be back and recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review of Sopwell House which was a delight to read and I am glad you loved our new rooms as much as we do.

I am so pleased you all had such a fantastic time and that our very passionate team looked after you so well.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at the hotel for a birthday when we arrived we were " upgraded" to outside the hotel the rooms were sub standard with no heating and cold showers we complained and after 3 people telling us there were no rooms in the hotel they found a room we had paid for a superior room when we were moved inside the hotel the room was lovely and the staff did give my sister the suit so that was good we then went for dinner at the brassier we had eaten a cheese pannini at lunch in the conservatory. So we ordered our dinner which took a long time when we ordered the food it then took another 30 mins to come out when it did my dinner was wrong when we sent it back they brought back a lamb shank which was microwaved needless to say I didn't eat it. The manager was very good and gave us a free bottle of wine however by this time the food poising had kicked in and I felt very poorly for the remainder of the night I spent in the hotel room very poorly :( terrible experience such a shame

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that following your complimentary upgrade to one of our lovely apartments (see previous review), we discovered there was a problem with the heating. However, these things sometimes happen in all hotels and I am pleased the team relocated you swiftly rather than wait for our on site maintenance team to address the issue. I am delighted you were then very happy with your rooms and I hope this reassured you that we do not overbook the hotel.

In terms of your dining experience, I understand that you did not order starters on this occasion and therefore I hope you understand that as we freshly prepare our main meals your wait may have seemed longer in the absence of you enjoying a starter.

However, in terms of your main meal, I do strongly refute your comment that your meal was microwaved as this is just not something we ever do at Sopwell House. Our Executive Chef and his team are extremely proud of our award winning Restaurant and any allegation of food poisoning is obviously very serious indeed. I am therefore extremely surprised that if this was genuinely the case you have not contacted us in this regard.

In the meantime, I am glad the team looked after you during your visit and I hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.

Southampton
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed in apartment 13, which was very pleasant indeed, consisting of lounge / kitchenette, large bedroom, well fitted bathroom, it's own patio and private garden. The bed was very comfortable indeed and pillow quality was excellent - a good night's sleep was assured!

Dinner included a very enjoyable rib-eye steak in the brasserie. The quality of cooked breakfast was also high.

Service was attentive throughout my stay.

Room Tip: The apartments are the ones to go for.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review of Sopwell House following your recent stay.

I am delighted you enjoyed your Apartment which are all unique in their own way and the gardens are certainly looking even more beautiful now Spring is here.

I have shared your very rewarding feedback with the team and we all look forward to warmly welcoming you back very soon.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
#5 of 10 in St Albans
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!