Ardmore House(St Albans)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$130
US$124
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$86
The White Hart Hotel(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$81
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$125/night.

US$94
US$80
US$87
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$84
  • Restaurant
178 London Road(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$85
TripAdvisor
US$202
2,590 results
All reviewsspa breakafternoon teacocktail loungefull body massagespa areabreakfast and lunchexecutive roomhead butlerterrace barbrasserie restaurantlovely spaspa staffsteam roombirthday treatrelaxing weekendsandwichesmy mum
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Afternoon tea at Sopwell is a treat for all. Tea this time was served in the sumptuous library ( I have been before for tea in the conservatory ) non intrusive excellent service & delicious food.
I have been going to Sopwell for quite a few years either as a day Spa guest, staying overnight on a Spa break or just eating in either of the 2 restaurants & of course having afternoon tea. The service from all staff has always been excellent and the rooms comfy, clean & quiet. Prices for this quality hotel are reasonable compared to others in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Princesmum
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Sopwell House, particularly as such a regular and loyal visitor.

Our Afternoon Tea is certainly very popular and I hope you have the opportunity to come and try the chocolate inspired version we have introduced for the Easter period – it is delicious!

In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back for many more years to come.

Thank you once again for sharing your experiences.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Having little faith in the quality of UK country house hotels - typically over-priced and under-delivering - I wasn't expecting to be wow-ed by Sopwell House. However, from the incredibly friendly and courteous check-in through to cosy bedrooms (complete with Sky HD) and excellent food offering, this property really is a cut above the competition.

The only minor niggles were a lack of seating in the public areas (every table being reserved for afternoon tea) so perhaps a residents lounge may be in order, and the spa/pool area was very busy on Saturday (with day guests and members of the hotel leisure club). This would be less of an issue in the summer as there are outdoor seating areas overlooking the grounds.

I thoroughly enjoyed the food offering in both the brasserie and restaurant, and it is well priced for the quality. The wine list was small but well considered so sufficient choice for a short stay (and reasonably priced), and cocktails were pretty good. Breakfast was excellent.

Leisure facilities - gym, pool, sauna/steam - are high quality but busy at times.

I think the staff really make this place, and the management should be congratulated for creating an environment where staff are polite, approachable and eager to please. Even on a very busy Saturday afternoon no request was too much trouble.

Sopwell is obviously undergoing some subtly managed refurbishment with brand new spa treatment rooms, and I understand from an overheard conversation at the front desk that bedrooms are being refreshed (the carpet in my room was measured up for replacement during my stay).

All in all, an excellent choice for a relaxing break. I'll definitely be back again later this year.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Bright0nNick

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your excellent review of Sopwell House following your recent visit.

Your feedback about the food and our staff in particular was a delight to read and I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back for your next relaxing break and in the meantime, thank you once again for taking the time to share your very constructive and valuable feedback.

Best wishes

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Had been bought a Friday spa break as a wedding anniversary present. Checking in painless and eventually found our room. Rather on the small size we thought and bathroom crazy small with no bath only a shower. Literally turning around in bathroom meant I kept touching the hot towel rail - not ideal.
Spa treatments nice and renovated rooms v good. However, pool area rammed and extraordinarily hot. Unbearable. Eventually got a lounger but didn't last long due to heat. Changing rooms fine.
Dinner in the Brasserie was an odd experience. Seated and asked what water we wanted. No time given to look at menu so had to ask for the waiter to give us a couple of minutes. No one took wine order and we had to ask for this. Then when our order was taken, literally within 90 seconds our starter was there! I asked for a break before our main course, just to try and slow the staff down a tad! But we had the main course within 5 minutes!! Then, after finishing our wine a waiter came over and whisked our ice bucket away without asking if we wanted anything else and gave it to another table - how rude! We had a quiet word with the manager who advised that if we were staying another night we should visit the fine dining restaurant!? The food was lovely but I have never felt so rushed to vacate a table before!
Drinks prices obviously inflated hotel prices but be aware that if like I did you order a gin and tonic they automatically serve doubles which meant the two I had came to over £21!!!
All in all an average experience. As said food lovely, but let down due to service issues, spa treatments nice, hotel room far too small (and on SH website it states all rooms have a bath??) pool way too crowded and hot and therefore not the most relaxing of experiences. Would we return? Probably not.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House although I was very disappointed to read that your experience was only average on this occasion.

I am pleased you liked our new Spa treatment rooms which have just been refurbished.

As a result of your feedback I have asked my maintenance team to investigate why the pool area was so warm in order it can be rectified so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Thank you also for your comments on your room and hopefully you will be aware we are in the process of a phased refurbishment of all our bedrooms. Whilst this is not yet quite complete, the vast majority have been done. As an aside and also for the benefit of other readers, we have recently re-catergorised our room types on the website and can confirm that certain room types (single, standard and superior rooms) do only have showers therefore please ensure you particularly request a room with a bath if this is required.

In terms of your dining experience, this does indeed sound bizarre and not at all typical of the service we so pride ourselves on giving. I have therefore asked my Food & Beverage Director to investigate and take immediate corrective action and I can only apologise for the seemingly poor service on this occasion.

I do hope you will return and allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our fabulous hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I had heard great reviews of this hotel for several years but this was my first visit. I stayed for one night following a function. The staff at reception were extremely helpful and I was allocated a newly refurbished room. All of the staff throughout my stay were obliging, nothing was too much trouble.
The breakfast was superb with proper fresh orange juice and as much coffee and toast as you wished.
The spa had many staff and they all seemed very friendly.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House and I am so pleased you managed to visit us after all the years of recommendations.

I couldn’t be happier than to be described as a perfect hotel and I am delighted we exceeded your expectations.

I hope you will come back and see us again very soon and in the meantime, thank you once again for sharing your valuable and rewarding feedback.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is the perfect venue to celebrate that special occasion. We booked a triple room, but they were all being renovated so we were upgraded to the lovely mews room which was adapted for the three of us and had a lovely private area outside overlooking the garden with table and chairs. My friend arrived too late for her treatments but they booked her in for the next day no problem. My friends and I were pleasantly surprised at how extremely friendly all the staff were, asking if there was anything we needed to just ask - a first class service. The Spa rooms were being renovated and the double bedrooms used were beautiful. The pool area is a bit of a let down in that there are not enough loungers but that is due to available space, but there are more outside. Our spa treatments as part of our package were very good and the staff were lovely. It would be nice if when the spa renovations are complete, there could be a relaxation area, perhaps near the pool.The food was first class and the cocktails menu excellent. We had a marvelous time made more pleasurable by the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: The Mews room away from the main hotel are a real treat.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your superb review of Sopwell House and I am thrilled you and your friends chose to spend this very special occasion with us.

It was so rewarding to read your comments and particularly those about our wonderful team who work so hard to exceed our guest expectations.

I am so glad you enjoyed the first class food and of course the cocktail menu is always worth a try whatever the occasion!

I hope we will see you again very soon and thank you once again for sharing your fantastic experience.