2,660 results
All reviews spa break afternoon tea cocktail lounge full body massage breakfast and lunch spa facilities executive room head butler terrace bar brasserie restaurant lovely spa steam room birthday treat sandwiches my mum course dinner relaxing stay
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Afternoon tea was served in a comfortable, tastefully decorated and comfortable room. We had a nice quiet spot in the corner overlooking the gardens. The staff were friendly and prompt, and we weren't kept waiting. The afternoon tea was very nice, sandwiches were cucumber, smoked salmon, tuna, egg and cream cheese, all very good. The scones were warm and you got a decent amount of clotted cream and spreads. I think what made this a better afternoon tea that some others was the variety of cakes you got, there was something to suit everyone from chocolate eclairs, fruit tarts, mini battenberg, chocolate cake etc. The champagne was very nice, and the tea was Twinings so I was happy.

My only comment is towards the end of our afternoon tea somebody switched the music on and it was like listening to demos playing on a keyboard. It wasn't relaxing and it was a bit naff. If they need to play music maybe some soft piano tunes would suffice.

I would definitely recommend this place and I would take family here as I think it is reasonable value and very tasty.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Afternoon Tea at Sopwell House.

Afternoon Tea is one of our specialities and we are very lucky to have superb pastry chefs who take so much pride in delivering a wonderful experience.

I am delighted you had a lovely time and I hope you have the chance to try our chocolate inspired version of Afternoon Tea being introduced over the Easter break (see website for details).

In relation to the music you refer to, I take on board your comments fully and we already have plans to introduce our resident pianist for extended hours.

Thank you once again for your fabulous feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was out second visit as a group of four friends to Sopwell House.
Unfortunately this time we were only able to stay for 24 hours but it was still a very enjoyable break.
All the staff are friendly, efficient and eager to please
Rooms - nicely decorated and equipped ( although ours felt a little on the small side it was fine for a one night stay)
Food - Good choice
Spa - The treatments rooms have just been given a make-over and they look great. They're well equipped and staff are excellent - one of the best massages I've had in a long time.
Bar - good atmosphere and some well made cocktails
Setting - We were lucky enough to have sunny weather and this is where the hotel really comes into its own - pretty gardens and a lovely terrace to have drinks on.
Great value for money
We hope to be back - for longer next time

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very rewarding review of Sopwell House following your recent stay, particularly as a returning guest.

I am so pleased you and your friends had another enjoyable stay and that the team looked after you so well.

We are certainly very lucky to be able to show off our beautiful grounds which are looking just gorgeous at the moment and so I am pleased the sun was shining for you on this occasion.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we can warmly welcome you back for an even longer stay on your next visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Didn't stay overnight and did the signature spa day package with some friends. Having been to quite a few spas I though this was overpriced for what you get. For £125 I got 3 treatments and a buffet lunch and use of the spac facilities such as gym, swimming poll, sauna etc which at the time seemed good value for money but quickly discovered wasn't really. The treatments included a body salt scrub, a shoulder, neck and back massage and a facial. Each 25 min long & done one after the other. Bud after looking at my watch if you include the shower and all the waiting around you only really get a 15 min treatment for each one so thought this was cheeky. Also the spa bag they give you after is a rubbish quuality mini shampoo and conditioner which didn't even foam in my hair. Food was average. Good mushroom soup but the rest was pretty mediocre. Stale bread, salad and a chicken dish which tasted like wine and cream and not much else. I was relaxed and lived the setting of sopwell house but wouldn't say you get value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Sopwell House although I was disappointed that your experience did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.

We believe our fantastically popular Spa Days are excellent value for money however it is important all our clients understand treatment times will include an element of consultation which is usually approximately 5 minutes depending on the client. This is standard practice in all good Spas and ensures your therapist can meet your individual requirements.

Our travel bags offered as part of our packages include well known ESPA products which is a luxury brand supplying the world’s leading Spas so again, I am sorry you did not personally enjoy these as they are usually well received.

However, I am pleased you still left the hotel relaxed and seemed to love the hotel and grounds and so I do hope you will return again with your friends sometime in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Afternoon tea at Sopwell is a treat for all. Tea this time was served in the sumptuous library ( I have been before for tea in the conservatory ) non intrusive excellent service & delicious food.
I have been going to Sopwell for quite a few years either as a day Spa guest, staying overnight on a Spa break or just eating in either of the 2 restaurants & of course having afternoon tea. The service from all staff has always been excellent and the rooms comfy, clean & quiet. Prices for this quality hotel are reasonable compared to others in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Princesmum
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Sopwell House, particularly as such a regular and loyal visitor.

Our Afternoon Tea is certainly very popular and I hope you have the opportunity to come and try the chocolate inspired version we have introduced for the Easter period – it is delicious!

In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back for many more years to come.

Thank you once again for sharing your experiences.

Warm regards

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Having little faith in the quality of UK country house hotels - typically over-priced and under-delivering - I wasn't expecting to be wow-ed by Sopwell House. However, from the incredibly friendly and courteous check-in through to cosy bedrooms (complete with Sky HD) and excellent food offering, this property really is a cut above the competition.

The only minor niggles were a lack of seating in the public areas (every table being reserved for afternoon tea) so perhaps a residents lounge may be in order, and the spa/pool area was very busy on Saturday (with day guests and members of the hotel leisure club). This would be less of an issue in the summer as there are outdoor seating areas overlooking the grounds.

I thoroughly enjoyed the food offering in both the brasserie and restaurant, and it is well priced for the quality. The wine list was small but well considered so sufficient choice for a short stay (and reasonably priced), and cocktails were pretty good. Breakfast was excellent.

Leisure facilities - gym, pool, sauna/steam - are high quality but busy at times.

I think the staff really make this place, and the management should be congratulated for creating an environment where staff are polite, approachable and eager to please. Even on a very busy Saturday afternoon no request was too much trouble.

Sopwell is obviously undergoing some subtly managed refurbishment with brand new spa treatment rooms, and I understand from an overheard conversation at the front desk that bedrooms are being refreshed (the carpet in my room was measured up for replacement during my stay).

All in all, an excellent choice for a relaxing break. I'll definitely be back again later this year.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Bright0nNick

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your excellent review of Sopwell House following your recent visit.

Your feedback about the food and our staff in particular was a delight to read and I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back for your next relaxing break and in the meantime, thank you once again for taking the time to share your very constructive and valuable feedback.

Best wishes