“Spa weekend-fab treatments, spa like sardines...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
“Spa weekend-fab treatments, spa like sardines...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Firstly, I cannot fault the hotel, rooms and staff at Sopwell House. I went for a spa weekend. We had a package deal which included 2 x 25min treatments, overnight stay, dinner, breakfast and lunch.

On arrival I was impressed by the reception area, lots of seating and lots of staff around to take your luggage to store. Check in was from 3, however our room was not ready. Slightly absurd I thought as room check out was at 11am! We had treatments booked in at 3pm and 4pm for our group so some of us left for those while others checked in. My room was ready shortly after 3 but others still had to wait quite a while longer.

Rooms were well presented and equipped, comfy beds and clean. Sky tv in rooms. Heated towel rails in bathroom but could do with more hooks to hang robes on.

Spa - We arrived for our treatments, were given slippers and a towel but told there were no robes left. The towels were TINY especially if you are 6 months pregnant! Not great for covering up. The therapists were very efficient, rooms were beautiful and clearly been recently refurbished. I had back, neck and shoulder plus mini facial. It was fantastic.

Changing rooms were rather crammed and lockers were a nightmare. The pool/spa area was like a load of sardines crammed in. Nowhere to sit, nowhere to put your robe and slippers (if you got one!) and people seemed to be very touchy about "their area of the bench" even if they were in the sauna or steam room. Pool was pretty chilly too.

All food was fantastic especially lunch in the brasserie. Puddings were gorgeous. Can't fault the food. Service on drinks wasn't great tho and took forever.

Drink prices=EXTORTIONATE!!!!! £7.50 for a non-alcoholic cocktail, £8.50 for a glass of wine. £2.60 for a TINY glass of coke. Ridiculous really. I drank a lot of water.

Staff were friendly and helpful, it was a nice hotel but as a spa weekend the facilities and space were at fault. Just not enough room for all the extra groups they pile in for day spas etc.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cmorr86
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review of Sopwell House and I am pleased that overall you seemed to thoroughly enjoy your experience – in particular the rooms, spa treatments, food and our warm and friendly team of staff.

I am also pleased you noticed our newly refurbished spa treatment rooms which are looking just gorgeous and that this added to your experience.

I have noted all your constructive feedback which I will pass to the team for corrective action where applicable so thank you for your valuable comments.

I hope we can warmly welcome you back in the not too distant future and thank you for choosing Sopwell House.

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Arrived on a Sunday to check in at 3pm with a girlfriend. Staff all very welcoming and professional. Room was perfect for a one night stay with a lovely bathroom and flat panel TV. Bed was quite soft and room as little hot so I personally found it a little hard to sleep but that was my personal discomfort. The spa itself is very clean and newly refurbished, very nice and simple facilities. My only advice would be to get more rest loungers as both days people were struggling to find a place to put their things and chill into between using the facilities and treatments. Treatment and therapists were lovely and enjoyed them all. Customer care is 5, my friend wasn't satisfied with a particular treatment and wasn't given the full hour so a full refund was given for that treatment. Food was amazing, breakfast, lunch and dinner was all great. Not like some spas where it's "healthy" portions. Overall, the venue, staff and treatments were amazing and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a spa break. I will 100% be returning.

Room Tip: We had the superior twin room which was a great size for two friends.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your superb review of Sopwell House following your recent visit.
I could not ask for more than a ‘perfect spa break’ and so I am delighted you thoroughly enjoyed all our facilities and services.

We are very lucky to have such a wonderful team who thrive on providing excellent service and so we are all very appreciative of your rewarding feedback.

Thank you for sharing your experience and also for your personal recommendation.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for an evening event. All staff extremely friendly and helpful. Food amazing. Grounds vast and nice to wander around. Problems are, not enough seating in the 2 bars. Taken up by non residents having afternoon tea, spa overcrowded and seats/relaxers all had towels on but in the hour we were in there not used. Room average, chipped bath, no bottled water in room. Not what I've experienced in a room of this price in similar hotels. Also hat to wait over an hour for our room to be ready.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House and for your constructive feedback.

I am glad our warm and friendly team enhanced your stay and thank you also for your fabulous feedback regarding our beautiful grounds and the food which our passionate Executive Chef and his team are always grateful for.

I am sorry you had to wait for your room on this occasion which is very unusual. We are in the final stages of our refurbishment and so I hope on your next stay you will also see a vast difference in the standard of your room.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I hope we can warmly welcome you back to Sopwell House in the not too distant future.

Dunstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Afternoon tea was served in a comfortable, tastefully decorated and comfortable room. We had a nice quiet spot in the corner overlooking the gardens. The staff were friendly and prompt, and we weren't kept waiting. The afternoon tea was very nice, sandwiches were cucumber, smoked salmon, tuna, egg and cream cheese, all very good. The scones were warm and you got a decent amount of clotted cream and spreads. I think what made this a better afternoon tea that some others was the variety of cakes you got, there was something to suit everyone from chocolate eclairs, fruit tarts, mini battenberg, chocolate cake etc. The champagne was very nice, and the tea was Twinings so I was happy.

My only comment is towards the end of our afternoon tea somebody switched the music on and it was like listening to demos playing on a keyboard. It wasn't relaxing and it was a bit naff. If they need to play music maybe some soft piano tunes would suffice.

I would definitely recommend this place and I would take family here as I think it is reasonable value and very tasty.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Afternoon Tea at Sopwell House.

Afternoon Tea is one of our specialities and we are very lucky to have superb pastry chefs who take so much pride in delivering a wonderful experience.

I am delighted you had a lovely time and I hope you have the chance to try our chocolate inspired version of Afternoon Tea being introduced over the Easter break (see website for details).

In relation to the music you refer to, I take on board your comments fully and we already have plans to introduce our resident pianist for extended hours.

Thank you once again for your fabulous feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.

Warm regards

essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was out second visit as a group of four friends to Sopwell House.
Unfortunately this time we were only able to stay for 24 hours but it was still a very enjoyable break.
All the staff are friendly, efficient and eager to please
Rooms - nicely decorated and equipped ( although ours felt a little on the small side it was fine for a one night stay)
Food - Good choice
Spa - The treatments rooms have just been given a make-over and they look great. They're well equipped and staff are excellent - one of the best massages I've had in a long time.
Bar - good atmosphere and some well made cocktails
Setting - We were lucky enough to have sunny weather and this is where the hotel really comes into its own - pretty gardens and a lovely terrace to have drinks on.
Great value for money
We hope to be back - for longer next time

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very rewarding review of Sopwell House following your recent stay, particularly as a returning guest.

I am so pleased you and your friends had another enjoyable stay and that the team looked after you so well.

We are certainly very lucky to be able to show off our beautiful grounds which are looking just gorgeous at the moment and so I am pleased the sun was shining for you on this occasion.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we can warmly welcome you back for an even longer stay on your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Didn't stay overnight and did the signature spa day package with some friends. Having been to quite a few spas I though this was overpriced for what you get. For £125 I got 3 treatments and a buffet lunch and use of the spac facilities such as gym, swimming poll, sauna etc which at the time seemed good value for money but quickly discovered wasn't really. The treatments included a body salt scrub, a shoulder, neck and back massage and a facial. Each 25 min long & done one after the other. Bud after looking at my watch if you include the shower and all the waiting around you only really get a 15 min treatment for each one so thought this was cheeky. Also the spa bag they give you after is a rubbish quuality mini shampoo and conditioner which didn't even foam in my hair. Food was average. Good mushroom soup but the rest was pretty mediocre. Stale bread, salad and a chicken dish which tasted like wine and cream and not much else. I was relaxed and lived the setting of sopwell house but wouldn't say you get value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Sopwell House although I was disappointed that your experience did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.

We believe our fantastically popular Spa Days are excellent value for money however it is important all our clients understand treatment times will include an element of consultation which is usually approximately 5 minutes depending on the client. This is standard practice in all good Spas and ensures your therapist can meet your individual requirements.

Our travel bags offered as part of our packages include well known ESPA products which is a luxury brand supplying the world’s leading Spas so again, I am sorry you did not personally enjoy these as they are usually well received.

However, I am pleased you still left the hotel relaxed and seemed to love the hotel and grounds and so I do hope you will return again with your friends sometime in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Afternoon tea at Sopwell is a treat for all. Tea this time was served in the sumptuous library ( I have been before for tea in the conservatory ) non intrusive excellent service & delicious food.
I have been going to Sopwell for quite a few years either as a day Spa guest, staying overnight on a Spa break or just eating in either of the 2 restaurants & of course having afternoon tea. The service from all staff has always been excellent and the rooms comfy, clean & quiet. Prices for this quality hotel are reasonable compared to others in the area.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Princesmum
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Sopwell House, particularly as such a regular and loyal visitor.

Our Afternoon Tea is certainly very popular and I hope you have the opportunity to come and try the chocolate inspired version we have introduced for the Easter period – it is delicious!

In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back for many more years to come.

Thank you once again for sharing your experiences.

Warm regards

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
De Vere Hunton Park
De Vere Hunton Park
#1 of 1 in Hunton Bridge

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!