Firstly, I cannot fault the hotel, rooms and staff at Sopwell House. I went for a spa weekend. We had a package deal which included 2 x 25min treatments, overnight stay, dinner, breakfast and lunch.
On arrival I was impressed by the reception area, lots of seating and lots of staff around to take your luggage to store. Check in was from 3, however our room was not ready. Slightly absurd I thought as room check out was at 11am! We had treatments booked in at 3pm and 4pm for our group so some of us left for those while others checked in. My room was ready shortly after 3 but others still had to wait quite a while longer.
Rooms were well presented and equipped, comfy beds and clean. Sky tv in rooms. Heated towel rails in bathroom but could do with more hooks to hang robes on.
Spa - We arrived for our treatments, were given slippers and a towel but told there were no robes left. The towels were TINY especially if you are 6 months pregnant! Not great for covering up. The therapists were very efficient, rooms were beautiful and clearly been recently refurbished. I had back, neck and shoulder plus mini facial. It was fantastic.
Changing rooms were rather crammed and lockers were a nightmare. The pool/spa area was like a load of sardines crammed in. Nowhere to sit, nowhere to put your robe and slippers (if you got one!) and people seemed to be very touchy about "their area of the bench" even if they were in the sauna or steam room. Pool was pretty chilly too.
All food was fantastic especially lunch in the brasserie. Puddings were gorgeous. Can't fault the food. Service on drinks wasn't great tho and took forever.
Drink prices=EXTORTIONATE!!!!! £7.50 for a non-alcoholic cocktail, £8.50 for a glass of wine. £2.60 for a TINY glass of coke. Ridiculous really. I drank a lot of water.
Staff were friendly and helpful, it was a nice hotel but as a spa weekend the facilities and space were at fault. Just not enough room for all the extra groups they pile in for day spas etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in 12 acres of tranquil gardens Sopwell House is a 4 star hotel in Hertfordshire and the former Georgian country residence of Lord Mountbatten. Once you enter this 'home away from home' our attentive staff, family friendly service and luxurious spa facilities will provide the perfect setting to your stay or event. Our Country House hotel enables you to escape from it all and is within easy reach of London, St Pancras National & International Train Station and Luton Airport. With 128 stylish bedrooms and suites including 16 soon to be completed Mews Apartments to choose from, exceptional service, delicious food and our opulent spa you'll find it hard to leave. As well as boasting 19 flexible function suites, Sopwell House has recently been awarded winner of the 2015 Conde Nast Johansens Awards for Excellence in the category 'Best for Meetings' recognising their outstanding contribution to the corporate and social world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Sopwell House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sopwell House Country Club And Spa
- Sopwell House Country Club Hotel St. Albans
- Sopwell Hotel Country