2,646 results
All reviewsspa breakafternoon teacocktail loungefull body massagebreakfast and lunchspa facilitiesexecutive roomhead butlerterrace barbrasserie restaurantlovely spasteam roombirthday treatsandwichesmy mumcourse dinnerrelaxing stay
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Weekend stay with a party of 17. Very tedious booking in process with two charming trainees...all annoyed by the end of 8 separate name, address and credit card entries, albeit that we had booked and were paying as a single bill. Rooms good, spa not too busy, quiet - no disturbance at all from weddings and parties, and easy location to find.

The breakfasts were amazing, but the two pre-ordered meals from their set menus were very poor indeed, and no way lived up to the rest of the experience. One in brasserie (where we wee not offered the brasserie menu, but a fancy and expensive menu) and one in the restaurant, and there isn't a single one of all 6 dishes that I'd eat again. Several did not match the menu from which we had pre ordered only a week before. It felt a bit like the Emperor's new clothes...nobody dared to say that it was bad, as we didn't want to spoil our occasion, but it was expensive and disappointing. Final brasserie meal from the brasserie menu was probably the most successful, but i did have to send my soup back twice, and in the end gave up, as lovely waitress was running out of options. So great place but beware of over priced and over fancy food that does not actually taste nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House following your recent visit and for your very positive feedback about the hotel, spa and of course our warm and friendly team.

I was sorry to learn you found the check in process tedious for your group of 17 guests and surprised that we did not treat this as a group booking which would have alleviated your frustration but I hope it did not affect your stay too much.

I was also disappointed to read your feedback regarding your dining experience which does not sound typical of the service and standards we so pride ourselves on delivering and therefore I have passed your comments to my Food & Beverage Director to share with the team and take any necessary action.

Thank you for your lovely feedback on breakfast which receives great feedback time and time again and I am pleased that overall you seem to enjoy your weekend with us.

I hope we can warmly welcome you back again in the future and thank you once again for sharing your feedback.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked this trip with my friend as a treat for our birthday.

Easy to find if you are unfamiliar with the location. Lots of parking, short walk to reception through the well maintained gardens. Reception looks great, really busy on arrival but check in was efficient. Lots of hen parties and clientele but no problem at all. Had a drink while we got room sorted, we had arrived early but they sorted us out really quickly which was much appreciated.

Room was well equipped and clean. Beds comfy and bathroom well thought out - liked the de-misting mirror in the bathroom, meant 2 women could get ready at the same time.

Spa was really good. Again staff efficient, warm and friendly. Treatments were good, facilities good. Only downer was lack of sun beds around the pool area as the venue was so busy. This didn't matter though, just used the pool and steam room after which time we found two beds. Very relaxing despite being busy. Areas well maintained and clean. Met people that had been numerous times which is always telling.

Our meal in the bistro type restaurant was excellent. The maître de was hilarious, professional and efficient. The food was a set menu and delicious. Surroundings lovely and atmosphere was lively and enjoyable.

After dinner there is a wonderful lounge to sit in, we had drinks and chilled.

I have just tried another venue which was appalling, so we have already decided to go back to Sopwell within the next year. I hope it is as good!

Only negative - in our room we could clearly hear the band playing at the wedding. Having enjoyed the wine, we decided to play "pop quiz"! Didn't impact much on our overall experience and would recommend the spa packages wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your wonderful 5 star review of Sopwell House and for choosing the hotel for your very special occasion.

I am so pleased you and your friend had such a good time and seemed to make the most of all our lovely facilities.

It is always wonderful when a member of our dedicated and passionate team is singled out for a mention but most rewarding of all is that you plan to return. I am confident your next visit will be everything you want and more, particularly if you manage to visit during the Summer months when the outdoor relaxation areas and terrace bar which overlook our stunning gardens are in full use.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House very soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Plenty to like at Sopwell but plenty of work to do.

Booking via their website always means you have to enter all of your information, every time. You then need to give all of your information, every time, upon check-in despite almost being on first name terms with staff. Can the booking system be upgraded - computer says no, apparently. They'll just keep annoying their staff and customers; plain lazy.

Don't be fooled with the luxury mews accommodation - nice and spacious but decor from the 80's and over priced, ask for one of the recently decorated rooms in the main building which are nice.

On the positives, the small gym and pool area are very nice and really well maintained, as are the gardens. Breakfast is excellent and the staff are generally efficient and happy to see you.

Could be a great location but needs some time, money and focus on the customer experience before Sopwell Hopuse really moves above the average.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently decorated room in the main building.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Sopwell House, particularly as you seem to be a regular visit to the hotel.

I am delighted you enjoy our rooms, facilities and food and that you find our very dedicated team welcoming and efficient.

I appreciate your feedback on the website and am pleased to advise that we are already in the process of developing our software to introduce online accounts and therefore I am sure this will be a welcome addition for our guests as well as our Front of House team in the near future.

As you may aware, the hotel has recently undergone huge refurbishment and investment and we are now in the final stages of upgrading the last of our bedrooms with our very popular Mews Apartments being the final stage in this process so I do hope you let us know what you think when these have been completed. In the meantime, I hope you continue to enjoy our fabulously refurbished Executive Rooms.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House time and time again.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My son very kindly treated me to a Spa Day at Sopwell House. The day included two treatments, a facial and a body massage. I must say they were both first class. Natalie K was an absolutely lovely lady that gave me two fantastic treatments. The treatment room was lovely and so relaxing. I probably had two of the best treatments I have ever had. The other facilities were good in general. Lovely pool and the buffet lunch was good, the cheese platter was poor though and the staff in the restaurant were slow to move away plates between courses. In general a lovely experience - thank you. Liz M

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review of Sopwell House following your recent Spa day and I am so pleased you enjoyed your lovely gift from your son.

Your feedback on your treatments in particular was fantastic and it is always so rewarding when a member of our team is singled out for providing outstanding service so thank you most sincerely for this.

I am also delighted you enjoyed the other facilities, pool and buffet lunch and I have passed your additional feedback to our Food & Beverage team for review and any corrective action.

In the meantime, thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Firstly, I cannot fault the hotel, rooms and staff at Sopwell House. I went for a spa weekend. We had a package deal which included 2 x 25min treatments, overnight stay, dinner, breakfast and lunch.

On arrival I was impressed by the reception area, lots of seating and lots of staff around to take your luggage to store. Check in was from 3, however our room was not ready. Slightly absurd I thought as room check out was at 11am! We had treatments booked in at 3pm and 4pm for our group so some of us left for those while others checked in. My room was ready shortly after 3 but others still had to wait quite a while longer.

Rooms were well presented and equipped, comfy beds and clean. Sky tv in rooms. Heated towel rails in bathroom but could do with more hooks to hang robes on.

Spa - We arrived for our treatments, were given slippers and a towel but told there were no robes left. The towels were TINY especially if you are 6 months pregnant! Not great for covering up. The therapists were very efficient, rooms were beautiful and clearly been recently refurbished. I had back, neck and shoulder plus mini facial. It was fantastic.

Changing rooms were rather crammed and lockers were a nightmare. The pool/spa area was like a load of sardines crammed in. Nowhere to sit, nowhere to put your robe and slippers (if you got one!) and people seemed to be very touchy about "their area of the bench" even if they were in the sauna or steam room. Pool was pretty chilly too.

All food was fantastic especially lunch in the brasserie. Puddings were gorgeous. Can't fault the food. Service on drinks wasn't great tho and took forever.

Drink prices=EXTORTIONATE!!!!! £7.50 for a non-alcoholic cocktail, £8.50 for a glass of wine. £2.60 for a TINY glass of coke. Ridiculous really. I drank a lot of water.

Staff were friendly and helpful, it was a nice hotel but as a spa weekend the facilities and space were at fault. Just not enough room for all the extra groups they pile in for day spas etc.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cmorr86

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review of Sopwell House and I am pleased that overall you seemed to thoroughly enjoy your experience – in particular the rooms, spa treatments, food and our warm and friendly team of staff.

I am also pleased you noticed our newly refurbished spa treatment rooms which are looking just gorgeous and that this added to your experience.

I have noted all your constructive feedback which I will pass to the team for corrective action where applicable so thank you for your valuable comments.

I hope we can warmly welcome you back in the not too distant future and thank you for choosing Sopwell House.