“Fantastic stay!”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed with my mum in a hotel for a short spa break. I didn't know what to expect but what a pleasant surprise! At the arrival we we're show to our room which was spotless with a view at the garden. We went to spa for our treatments, spa is lovely and treatment rooms clean with relaxing music. I'm a beauty therapist and can't fault any of the treatments we had. Ladies in a spa are polite and attentive. The only disappointment was that spa was very busy and we didn't manage to get any extra treatments which we really wanted.
Personally only bad thing were other guests which couldn't respect other people and staff working in a hotel.
Food was excellent breakfast with a big selection of fresh fruits, bread, cheese etc.
Dinner lovely presented and cooked well.
Lunch with a nice choice of food salads light snacks. Everything fresh clean the minute my plate was empty staff was cleaning it immediately.
I can't describe how polite, attentive and friendly staff working in a hotel and spa is.
Nothing was a problem we never had to do anything. Service is excellent and your staff can work in any high end hotel. It's a big thank you from us to all staff from a hotel specially people working in brasserie and lovely Kamila (sorry if I didn't remember your name correctly).
The only suggestion is that it would be lovely if you can extend the garden, and maybe in a summer you can have bicycles for hotel guests or a tennis court.
We had fantastic stay away from noisy London. We will be coming back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AgathaSi
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much indeed for your outstanding review of Sopwell House following your recent spa break with your mum.

I am so pleased you loved the hotel as much as we do and that you both seemed to have a fantastic time.

Your review was a delight to read and I have circulated it to the whole team – I know our therapists and Kamila in particular are thrilled with the feedback which is always really rewarding.

I am sorry we could not fit you in for extra treatments and would always recommend these are booked in advance to avoid disappointment.

Finally, thank you very much for your suggestions for the gardens – we are actually in the very early planning stages of doing something very exciting outdoors so watch this space!

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we can warmly welcome both you and your mum back to Sopwell House very soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Having been a country club member for over 12 years I decided it was time to test out the rooms (stayed once before and that was fab).
Room was lovely and comfy. Staff were very pleasant although I did find checking out a lengthy process.
Spa area was lovely. As always, slightly busy but very nice all the same.
Breakfast was fantastic.
All in all I was very pleased and we all had a fab time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House following your recent stay, particularly as one of our loyal Country Club members.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your room, the spa and breakfast and that the team was as warm as friendly as always.

I am sorry you found check out process a little lengthy on this occasion and hope the team offer you an ‘express’ check out option on your next visit.

In the meantime, thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and for recommending Sopwell House to your friends.

Warm regards

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We attended a family wedding at Sopwell house and stayed in the hotel that evening. On arrival at check in about 1.30pm we enquired if our room might be ready. We were informed that our room was ready and were even offered a free upgrade to an executive suite. A helpful doorman carried my bags and showed us to our room. It was great to be able to check in early so we could freshen up before the wedding ceremony. Our room had a huge bed, flat screen TV with Sky TV, desk, table and chairs. The bathroom had a huge bath as well as a separate walk in shower. We had a fantastic view of the garden area too. For the price of the hotel room, there were just one or two little things I found if I was being deliberately picky. There was a slight stain on one of the towels, looked like mouthwash stain. Also there were one or two hairs in the shower which was a bit off putting. Also there was some dust on the headboard and picture frames. Tiny things that can easily be rectified. the bed was comfy and the hotel was lovely and quite and I have a great nights sleep.
The wedding was in the hotel. It was a very small ceremony with only 20 people. The room was set out beautifully and after the ceremony the patio doors were opened and we went out onto the terreace area which was lovely area for the bride and groom to have photos. Whilst we were outside the staff re arranged the room into a huge oval table for the wedding breakfast. The food was amazing and we didn't have to wait ages between courses. The staff were attentive but not in the way, very discreet. After the meal we went into the room next door for the evening reception, again, it was very well laid out. We had our own bar away from the public which was nice. there were other functions going on but it was not a problem and didn't affect the wedding party. I was definitely recommend Sopwell house for an intimate wedding. Everything ran smoothly and the staff were fantastic. Very polite, helpful and friendly from the receptionist's, waiters and bar staff.
Breakfast was also fantastic. There was a hot buffet breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, mushrooms etc. There was a huge variety of fresh fruit on offer, pain au chocolate, croissants, choice of breads, and, as it was Easter Sunday Hot Cross Buns. Everything you could have wanted.
Sadly we didn't have time to use the spa facilities so cant comment on those.
Overall, we had a fantastic stay and would definitely return

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your fantastic review of Sopwell House following your family wedding which I know was a wonderful occasion.

We have very lucky to have such wonderful facilities and gardens that make Sopwell House the perfect wedding venue and so I am delighted you all had a wonderful time.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the whole team and have also highlighted the housekeeping points you mention in order the necessary corrective action can be taken and so I thank you for bringing these to my attention.

Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful feedback and I hope you will have the opportunity to use our luxurious Spa on your next visit.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed for two nights in an executive suite which was immaculate and well worth paying extra for. All food and drink quality was very good, cooked well, with a decent selection to choose from and we had no complaints regarding service as we found all staff extremely attentive.
The hotel is well maintained throughout, including the communal areas, and set in lovely, well tended gardens. The spa is well equipped and spotless and although it did get a little noisy when it was busy, this is more to do with some people's thoughtless inability to speak at, or teach their children to speak at, normal volume, and not something the hotel should be expected take responsibility for!
I had a mud wrap spa treatment with a lovely therapist named Kia and it was truly exceptional and something I would recommend highly to anyone staying at Sopwell.
We had afternoon tea in the nicely furnished rooms adjoining the cocktail bar. Again, staff were very pleasant and attentive. The selection of cakes and sandwiches was very good, with some lovely warm, freshly baked scones, although I would have preferred a variety of sandwich bread types other than white.
We also spent our evenings in this area after dinner on both evenings. On the first night, despite it being relatively busy, it was enjoyable and relaxing with a pleasant ambiance. Sadly, our second nights stay wasn't as enjoyable due to the presence of a group of overly loud and generally obnoxious women, who weren't residents and only there for the evening. The entire restaurant area, and later also the bar area, was dominated by their excessive volume and offensive opinions, which one could not fail to overhear. The annoyance of other diners, other then ourselves, was obvious. Although the maître d did apologise to us profusely for this as we left the restaurant.
All in all we had a very pleasant, relaxing stay, slightly marred by the presence of thoughtless individuals lacking manners or consideration for others. This is of course just a sad reflection of society today and is largely inescapable. It's something we certainly wouldn't hold the hotel responsible for, although one has to wonder what happened to the days when people exhibiting such behaviour were politely asked to show some respect for others, or failing that, asked to leave.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GDMrs
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of Sopwell House following your recent visit and I am delighted you to enjoyed the facilities, food, service, treatments and our lovely refurbished bedrooms.

Thank you also for giving Kia a special mention which is always so rewarding for us all.

I am very sorry that a small number of inconsiderate guests blemished your stay and I have discussed this with the team who should have politely and discreetly spoken with the party concerned if they were causing offence so I am sorry if this was not the case.

That aside, I am delighted you had an enjoyable visit and I hope this isolated matter will not deter you from visiting us again very soon.

In the meantime, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Weekend stay with a party of 17. Very tedious booking in process with two charming trainees...all annoyed by the end of 8 separate name, address and credit card entries, albeit that we had booked and were paying as a single bill. Rooms good, spa not too busy, quiet - no disturbance at all from weddings and parties, and easy location to find.

The breakfasts were amazing, but the two pre-ordered meals from their set menus were very poor indeed, and no way lived up to the rest of the experience. One in brasserie (where we wee not offered the brasserie menu, but a fancy and expensive menu) and one in the restaurant, and there isn't a single one of all 6 dishes that I'd eat again. Several did not match the menu from which we had pre ordered only a week before. It felt a bit like the Emperor's new clothes...nobody dared to say that it was bad, as we didn't want to spoil our occasion, but it was expensive and disappointing. Final brasserie meal from the brasserie menu was probably the most successful, but i did have to send my soup back twice, and in the end gave up, as lovely waitress was running out of options. So great place but beware of over priced and over fancy food that does not actually taste nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House following your recent visit and for your very positive feedback about the hotel, spa and of course our warm and friendly team.

I was sorry to learn you found the check in process tedious for your group of 17 guests and surprised that we did not treat this as a group booking which would have alleviated your frustration but I hope it did not affect your stay too much.

I was also disappointed to read your feedback regarding your dining experience which does not sound typical of the service and standards we so pride ourselves on delivering and therefore I have passed your comments to my Food & Beverage Director to share with the team and take any necessary action.

Thank you for your lovely feedback on breakfast which receives great feedback time and time again and I am pleased that overall you seem to enjoy your weekend with us.

I hope we can warmly welcome you back again in the future and thank you once again for sharing your feedback.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked this trip with my friend as a treat for our birthday.

Easy to find if you are unfamiliar with the location. Lots of parking, short walk to reception through the well maintained gardens. Reception looks great, really busy on arrival but check in was efficient. Lots of hen parties and clientele but no problem at all. Had a drink while we got room sorted, we had arrived early but they sorted us out really quickly which was much appreciated.

Room was well equipped and clean. Beds comfy and bathroom well thought out - liked the de-misting mirror in the bathroom, meant 2 women could get ready at the same time.

Spa was really good. Again staff efficient, warm and friendly. Treatments were good, facilities good. Only downer was lack of sun beds around the pool area as the venue was so busy. This didn't matter though, just used the pool and steam room after which time we found two beds. Very relaxing despite being busy. Areas well maintained and clean. Met people that had been numerous times which is always telling.

Our meal in the bistro type restaurant was excellent. The maître de was hilarious, professional and efficient. The food was a set menu and delicious. Surroundings lovely and atmosphere was lively and enjoyable.

After dinner there is a wonderful lounge to sit in, we had drinks and chilled.

I have just tried another venue which was appalling, so we have already decided to go back to Sopwell within the next year. I hope it is as good!

Only negative - in our room we could clearly hear the band playing at the wedding. Having enjoyed the wine, we decided to play "pop quiz"! Didn't impact much on our overall experience and would recommend the spa packages wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your wonderful 5 star review of Sopwell House and for choosing the hotel for your very special occasion.

I am so pleased you and your friend had such a good time and seemed to make the most of all our lovely facilities.

It is always wonderful when a member of our dedicated and passionate team is singled out for a mention but most rewarding of all is that you plan to return. I am confident your next visit will be everything you want and more, particularly if you manage to visit during the Summer months when the outdoor relaxation areas and terrace bar which overlook our stunning gardens are in full use.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House very soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Plenty to like at Sopwell but plenty of work to do.

Booking via their website always means you have to enter all of your information, every time. You then need to give all of your information, every time, upon check-in despite almost being on first name terms with staff. Can the booking system be upgraded - computer says no, apparently. They'll just keep annoying their staff and customers; plain lazy.

Don't be fooled with the luxury mews accommodation - nice and spacious but decor from the 80's and over priced, ask for one of the recently decorated rooms in the main building which are nice.

On the positives, the small gym and pool area are very nice and really well maintained, as are the gardens. Breakfast is excellent and the staff are generally efficient and happy to see you.

Could be a great location but needs some time, money and focus on the customer experience before Sopwell Hopuse really moves above the average.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently decorated room in the main building.