“Four stars from a four star”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have stayed at sopwell house on three occasions now (over a period of about three years) and after all these visits my opinion of the hotel has remained the same. It is a nice hotel with good facilities and helpful staff, however considering the cost, there is some room for improvement. It is fair to say that there is no one particular area where the hotel falls down significantly, rather that small improvements in each 'area' could be made to improve the overall experience.

For my latest visit, I took a short break (a 'minimoon') just after getting married. Whilst it would have been my preference not to mention this, my wife insisted we should mention this, which she did. Upon arrival at the hotel we were met by the friendly staff and given the keys to our room. They commented on our honeymoon and wished us well. When we got to our room, we were really disappointed. The room itself was nice and it was clear it was newly refurbished however, it was very small, next door to a cleaners cupboard and adjacent to a noisy stairwell leading to the foyer. After 10 minutes in the room and experiencing noise from the foyer piano, guests using the stairwell door and staff using the cupboard, we went back to reception to asked to be moved. The staff were helpful but it was to our surprise that on our previous visits we had been upgraded to better rooms without being told. This lead us to a higher expectation (and hence our disappointment) on this latest visit. The receptionist was very helpful and offered us alternative 'superior room' as a complimentary gesture, she also offered to show us an executive room, which would cost extra. On looking at these, it was clear that we had previously stayed in the executive rooms (without being told) and we opted for this at additional (albeit discounted) cost on this occasion. I must say that the staff were helpful and we had some assistance to move out things. My only criticism was that this experience took the shine of our stay a little and of all the times we had been upgraded (for which we are grateful) the hotel could not repeat this on our third stay and as newlyweds. Maybe we expected too much?

Of the rest of our visit, everything was nice. The spa is a great facility and is clean and well kept. The brasserie service and food is also nice. My last and final gripe concerned the food that was served as a starter to my wife. On the first evening she ordered a salad with anchovies and trout. She had no complaints, although we both wondered where the trout was. We agreed it must have been 'in there' somewhere and nothing else was said. On the next evening, I decided to have the same starter. On this occasion the dish was almost completely different, as the trout was evident and so were generous pieces of Parmesan cheese. We obviously did not complain, or comment as the moment had passed (we are not serial complainants!) but it did leave us wondering if they had run out of ingredients the night before and did not have the courtesy to tell us.

Of our stay, these were the main things that took the shine off of our experience. They are not big things and would certainly not put us off going back. However, it would be fair to say that they would not necessarily prevent us from considering somewhere else.

The breakfast waiters (brasserie) are extremely efficient (perhaps too eager to take your plates) but they and other staff are a credit to the hotel. They are polite and helpful and are willing to offer help without being asked.

All in all I would say sopwell gets four out of five. It does not fail significantly in any particular area but a number of minor things add up to reduce the overall experience. The newly refurbished rooms are nice but a standard room can be small.

Room Tip: Standard double rooms can be small. Those near the foyer stairwell maybe not as quiet as those to th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent visit, particularly as regular visitors to Sopwell House.

May I also take this opportunity to congratulate you and your partner on your recent wedding celebrations.

Whilst your overall rating of your stay was positive, I was obviously disappointed with some of your comments, particularly as it was such a special occasion and as you had such high expectations (quite rightly) having been looked after so well in the past.

We will certainly take on board your comments and hope on your next visit we will exceed your expectations once again.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Loved everything about our stay at Sopwell House. Beautiful hotel in lovely setting. Fantastic food, stunning and very comfortable rooms, staff who went out of their way to help, sumptuous spa with gorgeous treatments. A most amazing relaxing break away and would go back without hesitation. Thank you Sopwell House.

• Stayed: April 2014
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review of Sopwell House and I am glad you love the hotel as much as we do.

Our team works incredibly hard to exceed our guest expectations and so it is always rewarding to receive such great feedback.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had a really nice time away at Sopwell House, the only downside was that we were only there for one night. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was great, the food was lovely and the spa was really nice too. We're already planning our next trip there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of Sopwell House which was a delight to read.

I am so pleased you are already planning on returning and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back for your next visit. I hope we can make it even better!

Thank you again for sharing your experience – see you soon!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were really disappointed with the service at Sopwell house. We felt forgotton as it took half an hour for our tea to arrive, and our sandwich / cakes etc didn't arrive for another 20minutes after that.

The sandwiches were a bit poor but the scones most definitely made up for it - the best i've had yet. The cakes and pastries on top weren't very nice either. My sister had asked for just some chocolate cakes however we were told this wasn't an option and they could bring out some chocolcates instead, which we declined. Later on, they bought out chocolate cupcakes and ginger bread men for another table which was exactly the type of thing my sister wanted.

I would go back, but i'd only have a drink and scones. The rest isn't worth it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit for Afternoon Tea although I was obviously extremely disappointed that your experience was not of the very high standards we so pride ourselves on delivering on this occasion.

I was delighted you enjoyed your scones and I have passed all your feedback on to the Food and Beverage team who are very passionate about our customer feedback.

Afternoon Tea is a speciality at Sopwell House and we usually receive excellent comments and so I do hope you will allow us to restore your faith some time in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is really attractive as you drive up, with plenty of car parking available. The gardens are immaculate with plenty of outdoor seating areas/terraces. Once inside, your luggage is immediately taken while you check in. You are swiftly shown to the room by very welcoming and friendly staff members.
The standard double room was comfortable and well equipped with a modern en suite shower. The bed was soft with good quality linen.
The breakfast buffet was excellent in every respect with a huge selection of fresh fruit/continental style items/freshly cooked full English/pastries etc. The waitress service was polite and attentive.
Overall, the service was very good, although there seemed to be some language difficulties amongst some of the staff when certain requests were made.
This was a very pleasant place to be based for a couple of days in the historic city of St Albans. I would be happy to return here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review of Sopwell House and I am delighted you had a comfortable stay with us.

We really appreciate you taking the time to describe your experience and I am pleased our warm and friendly team were attentive and welcoming.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed with my mum in a hotel for a short spa break. I didn't know what to expect but what a pleasant surprise! At the arrival we we're show to our room which was spotless with a view at the garden. We went to spa for our treatments, spa is lovely and treatment rooms clean with relaxing music. I'm a beauty therapist and can't fault any of the treatments we had. Ladies in a spa are polite and attentive. The only disappointment was that spa was very busy and we didn't manage to get any extra treatments which we really wanted.
Personally only bad thing were other guests which couldn't respect other people and staff working in a hotel.
Food was excellent breakfast with a big selection of fresh fruits, bread, cheese etc.
Dinner lovely presented and cooked well.
Lunch with a nice choice of food salads light snacks. Everything fresh clean the minute my plate was empty staff was cleaning it immediately.
I can't describe how polite, attentive and friendly staff working in a hotel and spa is.
Nothing was a problem we never had to do anything. Service is excellent and your staff can work in any high end hotel. It's a big thank you from us to all staff from a hotel specially people working in brasserie and lovely Kamila (sorry if I didn't remember your name correctly).
The only suggestion is that it would be lovely if you can extend the garden, and maybe in a summer you can have bicycles for hotel guests or a tennis court.
We had fantastic stay away from noisy London. We will be coming back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AgathaSi
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much indeed for your outstanding review of Sopwell House following your recent spa break with your mum.

I am so pleased you loved the hotel as much as we do and that you both seemed to have a fantastic time.

Your review was a delight to read and I have circulated it to the whole team – I know our therapists and Kamila in particular are thrilled with the feedback which is always really rewarding.

I am sorry we could not fit you in for extra treatments and would always recommend these are booked in advance to avoid disappointment.

Finally, thank you very much for your suggestions for the gardens – we are actually in the very early planning stages of doing something very exciting outdoors so watch this space!

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we can warmly welcome both you and your mum back to Sopwell House very soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Having been a country club member for over 12 years I decided it was time to test out the rooms (stayed once before and that was fab).
Room was lovely and comfy. Staff were very pleasant although I did find checking out a lengthy process.
Spa area was lovely. As always, slightly busy but very nice all the same.
Breakfast was fantastic.
All in all I was very pleased and we all had a fab time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House following your recent stay, particularly as one of our loyal Country Club members.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your room, the spa and breakfast and that the team was as warm as friendly as always.

I am sorry you found check out process a little lengthy on this occasion and hope the team offer you an ‘express’ check out option on your next visit.

In the meantime, thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and for recommending Sopwell House to your friends.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Ardmore House
Ardmore House
#7 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!