“Disappointing for the price you pay”
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Disappointing for the price you pay”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The actual grounds are lovely with great potential however the running of the hotel was very disappointing. There appeared to be a lack of communication between the staff members with several mix ups during my stay. The hotel room was ok but lacked the basic requirement of soap for the bathroom! However the food was very good. Overall I felt let down for the price I paid , I definitely won't be returning!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry you were disappointed with the service at the hotel.

Whilst this does not sound typical of Sopwell House, I would be very grateful if you could contact me on enquiries @sopwellhouse.co.uk with more detail in order I can investigate and take immediate corrective action where necessary.

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback.

Alessandro Convertino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed over night at Sopwell House and had a great time. The pool plus facilities were fabulous very relaxing. The staff were very agreeable and ever ready to help in a polite and friendly manner.
Meal prices were not cheap but they weren't too expensive either.
Breakfast was great as there was lots of choice all well cooked and presented The sausages were really delicious. .

Room Tip: Standard rooms are above average as hotel rooms go but superior rooms are lush
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fabulous feedback following your recent visit to Sopwell House.

I am so pleased that you had such a relaxing time and that our warm and friendly staff made such an impact on your stay.

I hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Herts
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a really fantastic stay for our 20th Anniversary, lovely clean rooms, friendly efficient staff and delicious food! The massage we had was lovely, the pool area looked great.
I cant wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and may I offer you our warmest congratulations on your very special anniversary celebration.

I am delighted you chose to spend it with us here at Sopwell House and I am so pleased we exceeded your expectations on this lovely occasion.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back again very soon.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review.

Warmest regards

Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was given a spa treatment voucher as a gift for my birthday so decided to give Sopwell another go. We had had an awful meal in the brasserie 18 months ago and vowed we would never come back.

Unfortunately, once again we found the experience a let down.

When you arrive at Sopwell the entrance foyer is so lovely you feel you are going to receive top quality throughout your stay, but disappointingly you dont.

Our room was nice, quite small but clean.

Service at lunchtime was good and the food was nice.

Pre-dinner drinks were not so good. We were the only ones in the bar yet the bar staff chose to ignore us and my husband had to go to the bar to order his drink. This happened again after dinner in the cocktail bar. They then had a cheek to charge us 10% service charge on every drink!

I wasnt overly keen on eating in the brasserie again, but unfortunately the other restaurant isnt open on a Sunday evening. Once again,a big let down.

Wine wasnt chilled, rare steaks were well done, sauces with steaks which we hadnt asked for, chunky chips that were seasoned wedges straight out of the freezer. All in all just not good enough for the money you are paying. Once again they have the cheek to charge 10% service charge on top of the 10% tip we had already left.

The spa treatments we had were nice and the refurb of the spa and changing areas were good.

All in all I wouldnt recommend coming here. They are pricing themselves towards the higher end of the market, but they dont deliver, especially in the restaurant.

Room Tip: My tip would be dont stay at Sopwell!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola W
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

Whilst I am pleased you enjoyed many elements of your stay with us including your room, the spa and your lunch, I was disappointed with the feedback you provided regarding your second dining experience and I have of course shared this with the Brasserie Manager and the Executive Chef in order they can take corrective measures where necessary.

Our Brasserie is extremely popular both with our in house guests and our local residents and therefore your feedback was surprising. That said I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion which is always our aim. I would also urge our guests to highlight any issues to our very experienced management team immediately in order we can rectify these without delay.

Finally, for your information and for the benefit of readers, our fine dining Restaurant is open for lunch Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and for dinner Wednesday to Saturday inclusive and so I do hope you will have the opportunity to try it on your next visit.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback and I hope we will see you again in the future.

Great wakering
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Myself & 5 friends stayed here for a 1 night stay and had an amazing time. The staff couldn't do more for you.The food was delicious & the spa treatments & facilities were relaxing and just what we needed. We are already planning our next stay for next year :)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your outstanding review of Sopwell House following your recent visit with your friends.

Your feedback was a delight to read and share with the team and we are looking forward to warmly welcoming you all back next year if not before!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

london
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel with 5 friends on an overnight Spa Break. From beginning to end the service was brilliant. Our rooms were all perfect and all meals we had were faultless. The Spa treatments were great and very relaxing. A special thank you to the reservations manager for being so understanding with our booking as one of our group had a health issue and they were very, very understanding. Cannot fault the hotel and we are all planning to come back in the Autumn. Well done Sopwell House!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review of Sopwell House following your recent visit for an overnight spa break.

I am delighted you and your friends had such a brilliant time and that you loved the hotel as much as we do.

I have passed on your special thanks to those concerned as it is always lovely to get personal feedback.

We look forward to see you all again in the Autumn and thank you again for sharing your very rewarding feedback.

Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were a party of 10 adults and 10 children booked in for Saturday 5th July, staying until Lunch on Sunday. We had excellent service throughout and what I found particularly impressive was the dinner. We all had different choices from their Restaurant A La Carte menu. Everything arrived exactly as ordered and on time. The quality of the food was first class, the choice of wines excellent and the service beyond reproach.

Breakfast , & Lunch in the Brasserie on Sunday were also very good. The youngsters thoroughly enjoyed the swimming and some treatments in the Spa Facility.

I would not hesitate to recommend Sopwell House to my friends.

Room Tip: We had 3 family rooms, and 3 De luxe rooms. For couples the de Luxe Room is certainly very good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous feedback following your party’s recent visit to Sopwell House

Your feedback was a joy to read and so I want to thank you most sincerely for taking the time to provide your feedback and also provide a recommendation.

The whole team are so pleased you all had such a wonderful time and I hope we can warmly welcome you back in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!