2,659 results
All reviews spa break afternoon tea cocktail lounge full body massage breakfast and lunch spa facilities executive room head butler terrace bar brasserie restaurant lovely spa steam room birthday treat sandwiches my mum course dinner relaxing stay
Reviewed 23 August 2017

My wife and I celebrated our 7 years marriage anniversary at Sopwell for a weekend.The time there was absolutely pleasant. A huge thank you to Gabrielle who went the extra mile to make our stay memorable (Thank you again Gabrielle!!!!!!!). Also Luke the porter who helped us with our bags ;) The room was a good size with a window view and the spa treatment was amazing. The facilities were excellent and even thou there was a wedding at the venue, the place still seemed private and quiet. We will definitely be going back.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Thomas G, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to celebration your 7th anniversary with your wife here at Sopwell House. I am absolutely delighted that your weekend was so pleasant and in particular that Gabriela and Luke stood out to you as going the extra mile.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your room and the facilities around the hotel, we certainly look forward to your return visit.

With best wishes

Reviewed 22 August 2017

It was my fourth stay at Sopwell and I must say that it was the best one. We always choose the Suits as they have luxurious and have fantastic facilities: Nespresso coffee machine, free mini bar, fireplaces, sky TV and room service, not to mention an access to a lovely heated Jacuzzi and the patio area. Suits are more expensive that the main hotel rooms but I still believe they can be great value for money if booked in advance and are fantastic value for money.
Service was great, it's one of those places that it's better to ask if something isn't right because they will do their best to correct it now and then. We had a hick up with our booking, we were a group of 6 girls and reserved two suits near each other (Heather which was mine and Bluebell) however at check in we were allocated a different one. It wasn't a big issue, just an inconvenience. As Bluebelll was already occupied we asked to change the new suite to Lavender which was closer and the deputy manager did her best to secure it for us. No fuss and great service.
Spa facilities (pool, sauna) were clean and pleasure to use.
Breakfast sometimes can be Sopwell downfall but this time it was fantastic. We had great espressos, plenty of fruit, yogurts and cereal on offer. Cooked options were good too, poached eggs, meaty sausages and fresh sourdough bread. I still think they could benefit from a cooked breakfast option like eggs benedict or pancakes.
Overall a great stay and I recommend it for a special occasion and a simply chill down place alike.

Room Tip: Bigger/split level suits:Bluebell,HeatherandLavender all have microwave.For a more romantic break I recommend Hawthorn or Primerose suits
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Regular Guest

Thank you for continuing to choose Sopwell House and in particular our individually designed Mews Suites.

As an experienced visitor to Sopwell House I thank you for pointing out that should anything occur which is not expected, my talented and dedicated colleagues will go out of their way to ensure it is resolved with a minimum of fuss. I would always recommend that guests let us know if there is something bothering them about their stay, in most cases this can be rectified very quickly and easily, ensuring a wonderful experience overall.

I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and we have taken on board your suggestions for future menu choices.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

With best wishes

Reviewed 22 August 2017

We stayed in the Heather mews with the 2 day Spa package.
Food: We had cooked breakfasts delivered to our mews and was so filling and delicious we could hardly move. It also came at the exact time we ordered it for delivery. The lunch was a great spread and we all found plenty to eat, cooked food and desserts! The three course dinners were delicious and lots of choices on the menu.
Room: The mews duplex was stunning. It had everything we needed, comfortable bed, gorgeous bathroom, plenty of space and exclusive hot tub, what's not to like?
Spa: I had the full body massage and the body wrap. Both treatments were so relaxing and special, I could have stayed for years. The ladies who work there are miracle workers!
Overall one of the most perfect experiences I have ever had.

Room Tip: We stayed in the mews which was very peaceful.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Wow! What a fantastic experience you had at Sopwell House and I am delighted that you have chosen to share this on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for choosing to stay in Heather for a two day spa package and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in the Spa and in particular your treatments. We do have extremely talented therapists here at Sopwell House who work their miracles every day.

Thank you again for sharing your perfect experience here at Sopwell House and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

With kind regards

Reviewed 22 August 2017

We stayed here for one night on a Sunday, in the Mews houses, which are seperate to the main house, have their own hydrothrapy pool and garden. We were upgraded to the Lavendar house with its own private hot tub.

The house was comfy, clean and the bed was amazing.
Staff were friendly and the pool, sauna and steam room that we had access to from 3pm to 11am the next day, were a lovely place to relax.

My partner had a hot stone massage which he said was brilliant as well.
highly recommend this hotel for a night of pure relaxation.
It is a very short drive to St Albans too, where we went for dinner and drinks and the next day to explore.

Room Tip: Stay in the mews houses
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your five star review of Sopwell House, I am so pleased that you enjoyed our Lavender Mews Suite and that you found it comfortable and the bed amazing.

In particular I was delighted to hear that you found my colleagues so friendly and that your partner enjoyed his brilliant hot stone massage.

Thank you so much for your recommendation and we are conveniently located for St Albans which has a vast array of bars and restaurants. In addition, our own Restaurant has recently been awarded it's second AA Rosette for Culinary Excellence as well as the Open Table Diners' Choice Award 2017. Please do consider our Restaurant during your next visit.

With warm wishes

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel could be so much more with very little effort. It should be 5 star, but it's 4 star rating is accurate. I think some staff training would be good, however we still had a lovely time. We got a deal on the room which was good as I think we would have been a bit disappointed if we'd paid the full price. The cream tea was absolutely delicious!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience at Sopwell House and I'm delighted that you had a lovely time.

For the benefit of our readers, we do have various offers from time to time which are only available via our website. Please do check this out.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed our popular afternoon tea and we do hope to welcome you back to Sopwell House in the future.

With warm regards