Sopwell House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Ardmore House(St Albans)
2,487 results
All reviewsspa breakafternoon teacocktail loungefull body massagespa areabreakfast and lunchlovely spaexecutive roomhead butlerterrace barbrasserie restaurantsteam roomspa staffbirthday treatsandwichesrelaxing weekendmy mum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Stayed there with my wife. The house is old but has alot of carachter. We had lots of treatments and the beauty spa staff were excellent. Then you come to the MAIN ISSUE od Sopwell House. All of the staff are foreign, mainly Polish underpaid waiters etc. They were very rude and this ruined the experience for me. For the money that you pay you expect to have the "experience" and unfortunately this was ruined by the unattentive and non speaking english staff

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank england4720
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2010

It is unfortunate that this reviewer has felt it necessary to air their views in this public forum, particularly relating to the fact that there are a number of foreign staff working at Sopwell.

In order to maintain a high level of service to our guests, we ensure that all employees are trained to the same level and that all guest facing staff speak and understand English. I am dismayed that this guest feels differently, and that our Polish staff have been unfairly singled out. I can confirm that there are no 'underpaid' staff, Polish or otherwise, working at the hotel and that all relevent employment legislation is strictly adhered to.

On the other hand I am pleased that this guest did enjoy their stay and the spa experience.

Reviewed 19 April 2010

I was one of a party of 6 girls due to travel to Cyprus but due to the volcanic ash from the volcano in Iceland, sadly did not travel. As this was a pre-wedding girls party we were so disappointed at not being able to travel. Step up the reservations lady at Sopwell House - she was very helpful with our booking - we took advantage of a special offer of £99.00 per person, including lunch on arrival, dinner and breakfast on the Sunday - plus use of gym and pool. Hotel and grounds - beautiful. Staff - very friendly and helpful. Food - very nice and good choice. Facilities - poolside supplied with lovely thick towelling dressing gowns and towels. With the sun shining on us we had a lovely weekend and would defintely return again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank LaneyPottersBar
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2010

I am really pleased you had a great time at Sopwell House at the weekend and thank you for your positive comments. Unfortunately St Albans is not Cyprus, so I hope you have the chance to take your planned trip away also.

Reviewed 18 April 2010

After having our Cyprus Hen Party Weekend cancelled due to the Volcanic ash incident
we managed at short notice to get a Sat/Sun break at Sopwell House well who would have thought we would have such a lovely time.
From the start the reservations girls were so understanding and did there best to sort out the best available offer they had we stayed in 3 Mews Junior suites which were perfect 2 with Garden access they were fantastic with so much room.
We ate in the Brasserie for lunch dinner and breakfast all meals was excellent..
The service in all areas was always with a smile although a little slow at times.
The garden and terrace were beautiful and kept to perfection and luckily for us the sun shone for our whole weekend so we were able to sit outside the pool area.
This weekend looked to be our worst nightmare but our Stay at Sopwell house turned it all around.

This weekend was turned roun

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends

Thank you for your positve comments and I am really pleased you and your friends had an enjoyable time at Sopwell House. I hope you have the chance to take your planned trip to Cyprus, or if not, I hope you can at least fit in a return visit to Sopwell instead.

Reviewed 12 April 2010

Sopwell House is located in a beautiful setting and we had a very comfortable stay.

The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and our bedroom was clean and comfortable.

We had cocktails in the lovely cocktail bar and found the whole stay very relaxing.

We used the pool area twice, the pool was lovely and clean, the shower areas could have been slightly cleaner.

Overall, I would recommend staying here... We left feeling very spoilt and relaxed after a delicous breakfast overlooking the sunny gardens and pond.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2010

I am really pleased to read you had a great time at Sopwell, and we met your expectations.

It is a shame that some other people post reviews that are obviously not indicitive of the standards and service Sopwell offers, and I'm glad you were able to look beyond these comments.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Sopwell soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2010

Disappointing - expensive for what it is. Was offered a room b & b for £115, girl on phone proudly told me should have been £180 for this. I didn't ask for a discount so sad to be put in the cheap seats. Foyer is fabulous - long, wiggly corridors to get to room carrying bags, given wrong key card to start but quickly sorted out. Room v small, desk stained, paint peeling, marks on walls, marks inside bath tub, mould growing on shower screen. Tea and coffee v limited. Really noisy air con and air vent so not restful night at all. What you'd expect for a 3 star. Breakfast ok - staff not particularly interested to help. Shame - would recommend St Michal's Manor in St Albans - much better quality and more class.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2010

I am dissapointed that you did not have the experience you anticipated when you stayed at Sopwell recently. I can assure you that we have an ongoing maintenance and refurbishment programme in place to ensure that all of our bedrooms and public areas are kept to the high standards our customers expect and, as evidenced by some other reviews on Trip Advisor, regularly receive. If you were unhappy with your room we would have been only to pleased to allocate you and alternative bedroom if you had brought this to our attention at the time.