“wonderful wedding venue”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Stotfold
“wonderful wedding venue”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My daughter and her husband chose this hotel for their wedding for its location and beautiful setting. While it was not cheap, it certainly met up with their expectations.The conservatory had just been extended and refurbished. The setting was perfect and the room looked stunning on the day. Staff could not have been more attentive or courteous.
They booked exclusive use of the hotel for the weekend so we were all accommodated in the lovely bedrooms and enjoyed a hearty breakfast the next morning.

Room Tip: We had the magnolia suite- beautiful, but over the restaurant so a little noisy for those going to b...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Thank you for your comments. St Michael's Manor is indeed a fabulous venue for a wedding and we are delighted with the recent refurbishment of the ground floor and Orangery. Reserving the hotel on an exclusive basis is a fabulous way in which you can enjoy our lovely setting and grounds. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The great thing for us was the proximity to London whilst feeling completely away from it all, so it was just a half-hour drive but a world away.

Everything went smoothly, the staff were courteous and the room was lovely with a nice view of the gardens. Free parking and an easy 10 minute walk to the centre of St. Albans.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at St Michael's Manor. We are indeed very close to London, with very good access routes. We also enjoy being just a short journey away from St Albans mainline station, only 20 minutes from St Pancras. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to St Michael's Manor again in the future.
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My partner and I had a lovely time at this hotel. It is beautiful, elegant, comfortable and the staff are wonderfully attentive and charming.
Our garden room was stunning with a gorgeously comfortable bed and luxurious bathroom.
We reluctantly left after a delicious breakfast in the charming orangery.
I wish we could have stayed for a week.

Room Tip: Romantic room and setting.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for you review, we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in our Garden Wing. Enjoying a lovely meal in our new Orangery is a particular favorite of our guests, overlooking our carefully manicured gardens and lake. We do take pride in our attention to detail and excellent levels of service and are proud to have recently been awarded The Best Employers in Hospitality Award for Independent Hotels in the UK.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My partner and I decided on a last minute overnight stay and found this on the day of our planned evening.

Upon arrival, I found ample parking in a gravelled area within the hotel grounds. Because this is the way I entered the hotel I was able to enjoy the first impressions of beautifully kept grounds, a delightful patio area and a tastefully built conservatory area holding dining tables for the restaurant area. Inside the hotel were areas, again beautifully decorated, holding sofa's and chairs for hotel guests to enjoy.

Check in was quick and easy and we were allocated our room, named Tulip as the hotel does not use room numbers. A nice touch. The room was reasonably sized with a separate (small) room that held the handing area for clothes, ironing board, trouser press, hairdryer and both cooling and heating appliances.

I would say whilst the look and feel of the hotel room is lovely, I wasn't too keen on the room having sloping walls given it was at the top of the building. Entirely persona as I'm quite clumsy and got up in the night and walked into the sloping part of the wall at the side of my bed. The bathroom is a good size but I agree with a previous reviewer, the shower, whilst powerful, is not ideal as it was impossible to use without flooding the bathroom floor. Good nights sleep however, quiet room and comfortable bed. Followed by a lovely breakfast with a good choice of food.

Overall, I would use again and certainly look forward to the stay.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My father chose St Michaels to celebrate his 80th birthday here on the 2nd June. He has had many happy memories of the place over the years, and insisted this is where we go for a long lunch.

We had been advised that another group of about 40 had already reserved, but that they will be quiet, and shouldn't interfere in any way with our celebration. I do enjoy restaurants that are full and lively - it adds to the ambiance. However, this group were making speeches and so it was extremely awkward for us to continue our lunch together - should we shut up and listen, or try to talk over the speeches? Dreadful. I would strongly recommend the management of the hotel to insist that large groups pay for the privacy and take over the whole restaurant. It was totally unaccepatable.

The food? Well the beef was apparently a raving success. The monkfish was dry and not fresh. The birthday message on the desert was a nice touch. We took our coffee on the terrace, and enjoyed the grounds and gardens for the best part of the afternoon.

Bit expensive really, for the experience we had, although I think my father enjoyed it anyway.

3 Thank Scorchy
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We were requiring a break where we could enjoy peaceful surroundings, good food and a hassle free environment. St. Michael's excelled in all of this and met our expectations fully.

The staff were helpful and attentive, and accomodated my wife's dietary requirements with great care. The room we had overlooked the garden and was quiet and well appointed.

The location suited us being about 10 minutes walk from the town. The local amenities were just what we like with the park, cathederal and good pubs all nearby.

We liked the food provided the best, full marks to the chef. The only thing we did not like was the noise when the gardening crew came one morning and spoiled the tranquility for a bit with chain saws. However, work has to be done to keep the gardens in the top condition that they are.

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We took our parents to St Michaels Manor for afternoon tea recently. The service was excellent and the staff charming. It has been a while since we visited the hotel and I was very impressed with the refurbishment. The mix of traditional and modern works extremely well and the new orangery is stunning. We were greeted in reception and shown through to the lounge which overlooks beautiful grounds. It's a shame we don't live further away as I would definitely want to stay at St Michaels if I was visiting the area.

1 Thank Jan186306
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!