“Faultless!”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Faultless!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I have not long since returned from a stay at St. Michael's Manor, where the standard of service and accommodation was exceptional. The efficiency, professionalism and friendliness of the staff, which was evident from my initial enquiries right through to my stay itself was superb - second to none.
My room commanded views over the lake and garden, lovely even at this time of the year, and was both very comfortable and spotlessly clean.
I ate in the restaurant, where the service was first rate and the meal itself beautifully presented and delicious. Breakfast was served in the Orangery by attentive and friendly staff and offered a wide selection of both continental and cooked dishes.
A relaxed ambiance combined with such grandeur, together with the Manor's delightful setting and proximity to the town centre surely must make this hotel the perfect choice for a visit to St. Albans.
This stay was booked as a surprise for my elderly Mother who was celebrating her 84th Birthday. She was born in Fishpool Street and knew St. Michael's as the manor house it was long before it became a top class hotel. Our trip was therefore very special and St. Michael's certainly lived up to and far exceeded our expectations.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you for your review and very kind words. We are delighted that you had such a lovely stay for your Mother's celebrations and particularly as she has such strong connections to the hotel.

The team take great pride in the service we provide and creating a welcoming and homely atmosphere at the hotel for all of our guests.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to St Michaels Manor again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding reception at St Michaels Manor in January 1964 and to celebrate our Golden wedding anniversary I rang to book a room telling them it was a special occasion and also my husbands 75th birthday .
The hotel is still lovely with magnificent lake views but we were so disappointed to be put in a small attic room up several flights of stairs (no lifts) there was a small shower room (immaculately clean ) but you could hardly turn round it. My husband has had recent knee replacements and really struggled with the stairs so we asked for another room but none available.
The Manager queried whether we really did have our reception there in 1964 as he said he didn't think it was a hotel then. I can assure him we did and that it was a hotel. I have the photos to prove it!!!
On the positive side we enjoyed our (expensive) meal and had delightful and efficient service from a young Czech girl.
The breakfast was very good too.
We just went away feeling sad that having emphasised on the phone the double celebration we had such a poor room tucked away up so many stairs.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jennyapples
Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. We have 30 totally unique and different styles of rooms in the hotel and I am sorry that we were not able to change rooms for you on this occasion. Due to the fact that we are a listed building, regrettably we are unable to have a lift in the hotel but I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back for future celebrations when we can find a more suitable room for you.

Thank you for your compliments regarding your dinner and breakfast. We endeavour to offer the best value for money with our menus and have just launched our new a la carte menu at £34 for three courses, alongside our lake menu for £21 for three courses including coffee.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

On a recommendation I booked in solo for a single night. I asked for a quiet room. It was perfect. Part was luck, there seemed only a few other guests. I'm local so I ate in the restaurant The Lake at the hotel. It was delicious and the service outstanding. My room was on the second floor and I heard no noise at all. The bed was very comfortable. I got a really good deal through a booking agency and didn't expect the grandest room. It was perfect size for 1 or 2. I did have a nose around and there are some very large beautiful rooms. Had a walk around the grounds in the evening and in the morning after breakfast. It was very peaceful and relaxing. Breakfast, again was gorgeous and the service perfect.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank StAlbansKW
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your kind words to all of the team at the hotel. We have 30 totally unique rooms at the hotel and I am very pleased to hear that we found the perfect room for you. Please do look at our website for all of our latest special offers and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for 1 night just prior to xmas and wish it had been longer.

The service was excellent throughout. Our room was of a very good standard and bathroom facilities were exemplary. Very clean with lovely bed sheets and the fluffiest of bath towels and robes.
We ate in the restaurant for dinner and found the level of food quality, of the highest calibre. Plates were very nicely dressed and succulent in taste. A very good breakfast in the morning with an absolute spoiling of choice and selection.

Well done to all staff and employees for ensuring an excellent experience.

This is a hotel that I will definitely be returning to.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kevin B
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us last month.

Our head housekeeper treats the hotel like her own home, showing through in the attention to detail within our rooms, and was very pleased to hear your comments. I will also pass on your kind comments to our head chef and his team regarding your dinner.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to St Michaels Manor again in 2014.
Rochford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for my wives birthday . Great place with excellent staff and a fantastic whisky collection. The room was at the top floor but was perfectly appointed and a great bathroom. The only very minor down point was that the room was on the warm side but this was easy solved with an open window. Breakfast was one of the best I had in a very long time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and kind comments about the hotel and the team. We are proud of our great whisky collection with currently just under 50 different selections.

I am grateful for your comments on the temperature of the room and also pleased to advise that all of our rooms are fully air conditioned to accommodate each of our guests' personal preferences.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to the hotel again in 2014.
Leamington S
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

As a regular guest at the Manor (over 100 room night a year), I decided to treat my family to New Year's Eve at the hotel, including the seven course dinner.

Richard, the always excellent GM, kindly upgraded us to a four poster room for the two nights we were there, which was a nice gesture, much appreciated.

The dinner menu consisted of seven courses, starting at 8pm. The timing of service was well thought out, and the entire meal was served over about 3 hours. The menu was quite creative and the quality of the food was superb. My 14-year old son had a "custom" menu put together in consultation between himself and Arek, the Restaurant Manager - another example of the attention to detail that characterises the Manor.

The evening was, however, somewhat marred around midnight. A number of septuagenarian idiots decided to let off industrial-sized confetti bombs. This was despite having been instructed by management not to (apparently they had ruined a Christmas Eve party at the hotel a few years earlier in similar fashion). However, the ignored this request, and also ignored the fact that they were ruining the occasion for 100 other people who had paid £125 per head.

The outcome was the somewhat odd sight of seeing a well-spoken 70 or 80 year old in full black tie garb swearing at the GM as he and his party were ejected, much to the pleasure of the other diners.

It goes to show that you can be a chav at any age or in any income bracket......!!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank simonr2014
Thank you for your review and kind comments. It was wonderful that you chose to celebrate New Year's Eve at St Michaels Manor and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us again.

We take great pride in our attention to detail and the fact that you choose to stay with us on such a regular basis. Thank you also for your compliments on the special menu that was meticulously created by our Head Chef which I will pass on accordingly.

We are very grateful for your continued support and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to St Michaels Manor again in 2014.
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding at St Michael's Manor in October '13. It couldn't have been any more perfect.

A big factor in this was the venue and the staff at St Michaels Manor. Every single member of staff went out their way to be as helpful as possible. In particular Sean and Richard were spectacular. The attention to detail and dedication of the staff was plain to see for all.

The food was delicious and well presented, the bridal suite is outstanding and has a great balcony with a view out on the beautiful gardens and lake. The added personal touches made our day even more special and really highlighted how attentively we had been listened to through the planning stage.

We will certainly visit there again and would whole heartedly recommend this not just a wedding venue but a great hotel for people looking to stay in St. Albans.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ranewman17
Thank you for your review, it was an absolute pleasure looking after you and your family and friends for your special day which we will always remember.

We were very grateful to read your comments about the team at St Michaels Manor who all take great pride in looking after our guests at the hotel. On behalf of the team, I wish you both a very happy and prosperous marriage and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!