“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Cheshire
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

It soon becomes obvious that this is a privately owned and run top quality hotel. Whoever put this place together has travelled, tried the best and brought some of this experience to St Michaels Manor. Subtle touches of class here and there all add up to a very individually styled hotel.
My breakfast was excellent with the best ingredients served by pleasant attentive staff. Can't wait to come back and try the extensive Lakeside restaurant dinner menu. Marvellous, well done who ever you are!

Stayed January 2014
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your review. We take great pride in St Michaels Manor and having been owned by the same family since the early 1960s, we are able to take advantage of their great level of experience in running a quintessentially English manor house hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to the hotel and restaurant. Please do not hesitate to look at our website for all of our special offers and best rates available.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Just returned from spending a night at this hotel and I was so impressed. My only complaint was that our room was a bit too warm, but I solved that by turning the heating off. Simple. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the shower was brilliant and everything was clean. The breakfast was delicious - especially the sausages - and the fish we ate last night was cooked to perfection. The staff are lovely especially the lady with the very long hair who runs the bar. Sadly the staff could do nothing about the weather which was awful but we will most definitely go again. Lovely place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at St Michaels Manor. All of your kind comments have been shared with the team and thank you for the special mention for Liz at the bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps in the warmer months when you will be able to enjoy our fantastic gardens in the sunshine.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

we stayed at the hotel 17th jan for 2 nights for special celebration , we were disappointed that we were put in a attic room which was up several flights of stairs and their was no lift and no porter to help us with our suitcases, the room was very small and the bathroom was tiny and for the tarriff we paid we expected a lot more for the cost of the room ,The room may be more suited for single person , on the plus side the room was very clean .
The hotel is lovely and the lake view is beautiful.
We had dinner on the first night and the waiter who attended to us was excellent and service was efficient ,on the second night the we arrived for dinner and was told that we was not on system although we had booked and paid for dinner and breakfast for two nights so we were shown to a table which had no candles on like the other tables and no salt and pepper pots so i had to ask if we could have candle which we were given.
we had to wait too long to have our order taken and then we waited too long for our meals to be served it was almost like we had been forgotten as we were on edge of dining room outside of main area ,the food was good although we felt that the menu was limited so overall the second evening for dinner was let down by waiting to long to be served.
The breakfast was very good, we left feeling disappointed with room for tariff we paid but overall beautiful hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lezal l
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. We are restricted by the fact that the building is listed and therefore we are unable to have a lift at the hotel. We have 30 rooms at the hotel, each with differing characteristics and on different floors of the hotel and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the future when we will be able to find a more suitable room for you.

Thank you for your compliments with regard to your dinner on your first night but please accept my apologies regarding the service received on the second evening. We pride ourselves on our excellent levels of service however evidently you did not experience this on this occasion. I can assure you that I will investigate this matter fully and hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon in order to restore your confidence in us.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I have not long since returned from a stay at St. Michael's Manor, where the standard of service and accommodation was exceptional. The efficiency, professionalism and friendliness of the staff, which was evident from my initial enquiries right through to my stay itself was superb - second to none.
My room commanded views over the lake and garden, lovely even at this time of the year, and was both very comfortable and spotlessly clean.
I ate in the restaurant, where the service was first rate and the meal itself beautifully presented and delicious. Breakfast was served in the Orangery by attentive and friendly staff and offered a wide selection of both continental and cooked dishes.
A relaxed ambiance combined with such grandeur, together with the Manor's delightful setting and proximity to the town centre surely must make this hotel the perfect choice for a visit to St. Albans.
This stay was booked as a surprise for my elderly Mother who was celebrating her 84th Birthday. She was born in Fishpool Street and knew St. Michael's as the manor house it was long before it became a top class hotel. Our trip was therefore very special and St. Michael's certainly lived up to and far exceeded our expectations.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and very kind words. We are delighted that you had such a lovely stay for your Mother's celebrations and particularly as she has such strong connections to the hotel.

The team take great pride in the service we provide and creating a welcoming and homely atmosphere at the hotel for all of our guests.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to St Michaels Manor again soon.
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding reception at St Michaels Manor in January 1964 and to celebrate our Golden wedding anniversary I rang to book a room telling them it was a special occasion and also my husbands 75th birthday .
The hotel is still lovely with magnificent lake views but we were so disappointed to be put in a small attic room up several flights of stairs (no lifts) there was a small shower room (immaculately clean ) but you could hardly turn round it. My husband has had recent knee replacements and really struggled with the stairs so we asked for another room but none available.
The Manager queried whether we really did have our reception there in 1964 as he said he didn't think it was a hotel then. I can assure him we did and that it was a hotel. I have the photos to prove it!!!
On the positive side we enjoyed our (expensive) meal and had delightful and efficient service from a young Czech girl.
The breakfast was very good too.
We just went away feeling sad that having emphasised on the phone the double celebration we had such a poor room tucked away up so many stairs.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jennyapples
Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. We have 30 totally unique and different styles of rooms in the hotel and I am sorry that we were not able to change rooms for you on this occasion. Due to the fact that we are a listed building, regrettably we are unable to have a lift in the hotel but I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back for future celebrations when we can find a more suitable room for you.

Thank you for your compliments regarding your dinner and breakfast. We endeavour to offer the best value for money with our menus and have just launched our new a la carte menu at £34 for three courses, alongside our lake menu for £21 for three courses including coffee.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

On a recommendation I booked in solo for a single night. I asked for a quiet room. It was perfect. Part was luck, there seemed only a few other guests. I'm local so I ate in the restaurant The Lake at the hotel. It was delicious and the service outstanding. My room was on the second floor and I heard no noise at all. The bed was very comfortable. I got a really good deal through a booking agency and didn't expect the grandest room. It was perfect size for 1 or 2. I did have a nose around and there are some very large beautiful rooms. Had a walk around the grounds in the evening and in the morning after breakfast. It was very peaceful and relaxing. Breakfast, again was gorgeous and the service perfect.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank StAlbansKW
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your kind words to all of the team at the hotel. We have 30 totally unique rooms at the hotel and I am very pleased to hear that we found the perfect room for you. Please do look at our website for all of our latest special offers and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for 1 night just prior to xmas and wish it had been longer.

The service was excellent throughout. Our room was of a very good standard and bathroom facilities were exemplary. Very clean with lovely bed sheets and the fluffiest of bath towels and robes.
We ate in the restaurant for dinner and found the level of food quality, of the highest calibre. Plates were very nicely dressed and succulent in taste. A very good breakfast in the morning with an absolute spoiling of choice and selection.

Well done to all staff and employees for ensuring an excellent experience.

This is a hotel that I will definitely be returning to.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kevin B
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us last month.

Our head housekeeper treats the hotel like her own home, showing through in the attention to detail within our rooms, and was very pleased to hear your comments. I will also pass on your kind comments to our head chef and his team regarding your dinner.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to St Michaels Manor again in 2014.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!