“Barely a fault!”

St Michael's Manor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
“Barely a fault!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked a room for a 1 night stay, including Dinner and Breakfast for a short break for myself and my girlfriend and we were not disappointed!

The Premier Room that we booked was great and looks exactly as it does in the picture. It was very clean, comfortable and well maintained, plus the bed was fantastic and I had one the best nights sleeps I have had in ages.

The 2 AA Rosette Lakes Restaurant in the Hotel was exactly as you would expect, excellent.

The only gripe that I had was that I did request a a Vegan option for my girlfriend when I made the room and dinner reservations, and then double checked they were aware upon check-in on our arrival of which they said yes. Unfortunately they waiting staff were un-aware of this and there was no alternative to the main menu when we came to order.

That being said, they Kitchen and Restaurant staff dealt with the situation very well and we have a very good meal which included an off the menu Vegan desert specially made for her.

Despite the mis-communication over the Vegan options on the menu, i would thoroughly recommend the Hotel to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in the area and i will certainly be returning in the future.

Room Tip: The Chesnut Room overlooks the garden is very clean and comfortable (picture on the Hotel website)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Although this hotel is almost on my doorstep I had never been to it before this visit. The occasion was a friend's birthday celebration attended by me and some of his immediate family. As a 'Blue Badge' user I had hoped to find some convenient 'parking for disabled' bays but saw none and had to take a bit of a walk through the lengthy and very full car park. The rain did not help my disappointment. It was also a pity that I had to ask one of my fellow guests to carry my bags to my room as there seemed to be a shortage of available staff.

After a couple of drinks served in the bar by a very cheerful lady my attitude improved and was further heightened by the excellent service of the restaurant staff and the fine dining which exceeded my expectations.

I had a good night's sleep but was surprised to be woken at 7.30 on Sunday morning by what sounded to be a vacuum cleaner and its user talking over its noise to a colleague.

Unfortunately breakfast that morning rather let the side down. The staff seemed disinterested and needed to be prompted to take our breakfast orders and even had to be reminded that tea, coffee and toast would be welcome.

As I was a friend's guest I did not feel it my place to complain but I hope that the hotel management will read this review and note my comments.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter W
Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I booked this hotel as a treat for my other halfs birthday. Before we arrived i went earlier in the day and dropped off a cake and asked if they would leave in the room as a surprise which they were more than happy to do for me and they ended up setting it out beautifully for me! The hotel is very easy to find, has a great car park and within a perfect distance from the shops and restaurants in town. The grounds are stunning and very peaceful. On arrival we were shown to our room and all staff wished my other half a happy birthday. Our room was a great size, had a lovely big comfortable bed and lots of lovely added extras. Even though we slept in we were still able to order breakfast to our room. There was lots of choice, service was very quick and when it came it was presented very well and was great all round! The atmosphere of this hotel is lovely, my other half and I felt so relaxed the one evening we stayed there and we didnt want to leave. We are already planning our next stay and cant wait to go back. I would definetly recommend it to anyone.

2 Thank casperherman
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and we were delighted to be able to look after you both for such a special occasion. We take pride in our service and always try to go the extra mile creating a elegant and homely atmosphere at the hotel.

I'm sorry to hear that you were only able to stay for the one evening but we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Please see our website for all of our latest special offers and the best rates available.
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are lovely and the atmosphere is wonderful too. The view from the room and restaurant were stunning. It is expensive but your'e paying for quality. We would definitely stop here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
RichardMarrett, Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for your review and we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us recently.

We are lucky to have a beautiful setting in 5 acres of manicured gardens, including our lake. We are very proud of the food, service and atmosphere in The Lake Restaurant overlooking our grounds and with 30 individually styled rooms, we are able to find the perfect room for each of our guests' requirements.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, please see our website for all of our latest special offers and the best rates available.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Have been to St Michael's Manor many times over the years and really must commend the management and staff for all that they do. Beautiful surroundings, great views and old fashioned lake with carp and fake heron to boot.
Worth popping in for tea, high tea, dinner or even overnight.
Lovely place anytime of the year.

Room Tip: New block further from the main road. Manor pretty classy and older in style...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review and praise for the hotel. We take great pride in our service and the quality of the hotel and we are very grateful for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back for any future occasion and perhaps even the real resident heron will be here to greet you also!
LONDON
Reviewed 18 February 2014

If you want to see St Albans this is the ideal location. Easy to find, good car park and friendly staff. We stayed for just one night and overall we did enjoy our stay. The hotel is a mixture of being a classy manor house, modern refurbished rooms and en suites to match. Unfortunately there is a feel of tiredness in a number of areas albeit well maintained and equipped. The grounds are lovely but as there was so much rain, we could not take advantage. We stayed on a Monday and it was very quiet in the hotel, there only seemed to be three or four other residence. Our room was right at the top of the hotel - 2nd floor loft room. The view from one of the two windows was the air conditioning plant positioned a metre or so from the window. I suppose we were a bit disappointed about the room and would have preferred a room on the first floor, but our room was clean and well equipped. The breakfast was fine in terms of the quality of food and amount. However the service was very slow and we had to remind both the waiter and waitress about things, but it did not spoil things. I think we would come back because of the location and friendly staff but I think it is a little expensive.

Room Tip: Ask not to have a top floor loft room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Silverfoxman
Thank you for your review and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would like to return to St Michaels Manor on your next visit to St Albans.

I was sorry to hear that you thought that there are a number of areas with a feel of tiredness. Over the past three years, we have renovated the whole of the hotel and bedrooms in keeping with both the age of the building and also up to date features for the modern traveller.

Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast which we will certainly take on board and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the future. We have the benefit of having 30 totally individual rooms at St Michaels Manor and please do not hesitate to contact me directly to make any reservations so that I can ensure that we have the perfect room for you.
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband booked us in to St Michael's Manor for a Valentine's meal and overnight stay. Unfortunately, his flight home was delayed so we were late arriving. He called them to advise and they were very accommodating and put our table back by half an hour. On arrival we were directed to our room; this was on the other side of the restaurant and meant walking through the restaurant (full of diners) to reach it. This felt odd and not exactly creating a great ambience for the diners. Even a screen at the edge of the restaurant would make a huge difference. We have stayed in this hotel before, but many years ago and it has had a re-furb since then. Our room was very tastefully decorated and I loved the fact that the bathroom was behind the same mirrored doors as the wardrobe and cupboard so it all blended together. We had a lovely view of the lake from our room and it was so peaceful we felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. In the morning we turned up for breakfast at 9.45am to be told that it ended at 9.30 (a piece of information I obviously didn't take in at check-in). This did seem a tad early for a weekend, but in any event the waiter told us that they would make an exception and serve us. There was a good choice of food, albeit the buffet was all but finished. The food for our dinner the night before was good, but we would like to return and choose from the A la Carte (since it was Valentine's there were only two choices for each course). The staff were very good and attentive whilst not being annoying. Overall we had a very good evening and overnight stay and will definitely return in the summer when we can enjoy the surroundings more.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us recently. I was also pleased to hear that we were able to be flexible on a couple of occasions regarding your dinner reservation and breakfast, we do appreciate that plans can change and we always do our utmost to accommodate your requests.

Our rooms in the garden wing are indeed fabulous and we are grateful for your comments regarding the access to these through the dining room.

Thank you for your compliments on your dinner and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to try our a la carte menu in the summer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!