“What a lovely place for a birthday lunch on a spring day”

St Michael's Manor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Northwood, United Kingdom
“What a lovely place for a birthday lunch on a spring day”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I wen t with my son on the 2nd April for a birthday lunch at the beautiful St Michaels Manor Hotel in St. Albans.The grounds were in full bloom and the lake sparkling in the spring sun.The Lake Restaurant is light and airy and ideal for a lunch or dinner.With spectacular flower displays within the hotel,it gave a elegant and welcoming air.The food was great.We had sea bass and steak,chicken etc.Food was well prepared and very tasty.The staff were polite and helpful.Both our waiter and waitress were pleasant and accomodating.Afterwards,we had a stroll through the beautiful grounds..a perfect birthday lunch.I have been before to a wedding here and over night stays with my partner all very enjoyable.Cant wait to go again..!

Room Tip: When booking,ring and state exactly what you need. Too the right of the building.. rooms have view o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marmite48
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review. It is great to hear from someone who has experienced the hotel for many different occasions that we have always met your expectations. For special occasions, an overnight stay, or just a cocktail in our gardens, we take great pride in accommodating all of our guests' requests.

Our gardens are continuing to bloom throughout the summer and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please see our website for all of our special offers and for up to date menus including our Lake Menu at just £22 for three courses including coffee and petit fours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Visited the hotel restaurant for a Mother's Day/Birthday celebration meal. Lakeside restaurant is elegant and modern with classic touches (lovely chandeliers) Service was professional and friendly, food delicious and reasonably priced for the quality. Ambience and views of the grounds superb. A memorable experience soon to be repeated I hope!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Having recently invested over £1m in the last few years, St Michaels Manor has a lovely elegant and homely feeling whilst still accommodating our guests' up to date requirements of a hotel.

We take great pride in our excellent levels of service from all of the team and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another memorable experience.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We were very happy to stay at this hotel for the marriage of our daughter. The staff were warm and made our stay memorable, especially Sean - whose friendly conversation and attentive assistance (taking our heavy luggage up 2 flights of stairs) has not gone unnoticed. He seemed to be absolutely committed to creating good customer relationships and passionate about his job.

Thanks to the management and staff for maintaining this beautiful facility.

Jay K Pillai
Hong Kong

Room Tip: The Pine room is lovely.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rashmi P
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had the task of booking a hotel for a stop over for colleagues with various tastes and expectations. Without exception all our party were very pleased with the level of service, cleanliness, breakfast and attention of staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Must have been one of the first days this year that the conservatory actually needed cooling down rather than heating up. Amazing setting looking out over the lake enjoying a great lunch from the Lake Menu. The fish was wonderful followed by a well cooked steak. To finish a selection of cheese and coffee. The house wine was good and the service was excellent. Great to go somewhere with parking in the centre of the city.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked a room for a 1 night stay, including Dinner and Breakfast for a short break for myself and my girlfriend and we were not disappointed!

The Premier Room that we booked was great and looks exactly as it does in the picture. It was very clean, comfortable and well maintained, plus the bed was fantastic and I had one the best nights sleeps I have had in ages.

The 2 AA Rosette Lakes Restaurant in the Hotel was exactly as you would expect, excellent.

The only gripe that I had was that I did request a a Vegan option for my girlfriend when I made the room and dinner reservations, and then double checked they were aware upon check-in on our arrival of which they said yes. Unfortunately they waiting staff were un-aware of this and there was no alternative to the main menu when we came to order.

That being said, they Kitchen and Restaurant staff dealt with the situation very well and we have a very good meal which included an off the menu Vegan desert specially made for her.

Despite the mis-communication over the Vegan options on the menu, i would thoroughly recommend the Hotel to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in the area and i will certainly be returning in the future.

Room Tip: The Chesnut Room overlooks the garden is very clean and comfortable (picture on the Hotel website)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Although this hotel is almost on my doorstep I had never been to it before this visit. The occasion was a friend's birthday celebration attended by me and some of his immediate family. As a 'Blue Badge' user I had hoped to find some convenient 'parking for disabled' bays but saw none and had to take a bit of a walk through the lengthy and very full car park. The rain did not help my disappointment. It was also a pity that I had to ask one of my fellow guests to carry my bags to my room as there seemed to be a shortage of available staff.

After a couple of drinks served in the bar by a very cheerful lady my attitude improved and was further heightened by the excellent service of the restaurant staff and the fine dining which exceeded my expectations.

I had a good night's sleep but was surprised to be woken at 7.30 on Sunday morning by what sounded to be a vacuum cleaner and its user talking over its noise to a colleague.

Unfortunately breakfast that morning rather let the side down. The staff seemed disinterested and needed to be prompted to take our breakfast orders and even had to be reminded that tea, coffee and toast would be welcome.

As I was a friend's guest I did not feel it my place to complain but I hope that the hotel management will read this review and note my comments.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!