“Beautiful hotel with a lovely setting with poor service”

St Michael's Manor Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel with a lovely setting with poor service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I had dinner with four of my friends in the conservatory a couple of nights ago. This is a beautiful place with wonderful surroundings. The presentation of the food was excellent and the food in general was pretty good. I had the pork dish and the pork was a bit on the tough side. The lemon meringue dessert was fantastic. Sadly the service was very poor. We had to keep asking the waitress to pour the wine. Had to ask for the dessert menu, ask for coffee and after we got the bill had to ask again for her to actually take it. Such a pity somebody couldn't train the staff in this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liz M
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you for your review and kind words about the hotel although we are sorry to hear that the service levels did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that these issues have been addressed and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future in order to restore your confidence in us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We came here for my husbands 30th birthday, and I couldn't fault it, the location is beautiful and peaceful, the mulberry room was so lovely and the bed was super comfy, we slept like logs! Friendly staff, and best best best of all we had two evening meals there and it was probably some of the best food we've ever eaten, and at around £25 for three courses, such good value. Will be returning soon. Thankyou you, and congratulations on a beautiful experience.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Gemandmichael
Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Barnet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had our wedding at St Michaels Manor on the 12th June 2014. We had an amazing day, the staff were very professional and helpful. Our wedding co-ordinator was Lucy Judge and did a great job of making the day run smoothly. We had our ceremony in the Cedar suite, it is a good room for a smaller wedding. The hotel is traditional but has modern service and facilities, the grounds are looked after very well and great for the photos. The staff were very good, helping with buttonholes and arranging the wedding breakfast settings so the room was beautiful. The food was excellent, the lamb was very rich and tender and the chocolate fondant was delicious. We had a fantastic time as did our guests and would thoroughly recommend St Michaels Manor for any special occasion.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebekah W
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thank you for your review and congratulations again! Our cedar suite is a lovely private room that can accommodate intimate weddings like yours and Lucy indeed is a great asset to our team.

We take great pride in our policy that we have guests, not customers or clients, and are able to create an elegant and homely atmosphere for such a special occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, perhaps for your anniversary but hopefully before!
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I attended a wedding and reception at the venue. The grounds are spectacular and the venue itself is glorious. The reception staff were friendly and our room was superb. Food and service was outstanding. Definitely going to go back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Snowy F
Thank you for your review and we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us recently for a wedding party at the hotel.

Thank you for your compliments which have been passed around the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

An excellent stay. The location is beautiful and conveniently located near the city centre and major historical sites. The hotel was well appointed, the room reasonably spacious and clean. It ticked all the boxes.

The only niggle would be catering. We had dinner at the in-house restaurant, which seemed to be aiming high but missing the mark: expensive, niggardly portions and not very tasty. Certainly not haute cuisine, although that seemed to be the aspiration. Breakfast was also somewhat burned and slow to arrive. Service was generally good however.

Overall, I would definitely recommend a stay here. Just eat somewhere else in town!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelvincasing
Thank you for your review and compliments on the hotel. We were sorry to read that your dinner did not quite meet your expectations as we do receive many fine compliments across the board on all of our menus.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in due course to restore your confidence in us and please do not hesitate to make any reservations directly through my office rmarrett@stmichaelsmanor.com
Abingdon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My relative had a bad experience at this hotel. A review was posted on this site, raising several issues and giving negative feedback. Strangely enough this has been removed from tripadviser, who claims my relative neither stayed at, nor ate, at the hotel. Since my relative had 2 meals there, with me, and was booked into accommodation this is strange. I wonder who authorised the removal of my relative's comments? It is worth considering just how comments on tripadviser are selected. My own view of the hotel is similar to many others. The food was not briiliant and the service is somewhat haphazard. The location is pleasant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Pauline W
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were in the area on business, but this evening was a birthday. Whilst we had a description of the hotel we must admit as we approached we were somewhat concerned as it was so near to the town centre. Our concern was unnecessary. The setting in the grounds and lake are delightful. we stayed in the Rowan room with a great view out over the gardens and lake. The bed and room were very comfortable with a high standard of fitments. Experienced travellers my partner and I judge a hotel by the oddest things.... plenty of towels + ; A bathtowell for a midget -
A single dressinggown (too small) - A good strong shower +, a decent kettle + , cheap teabags and coffee - we provide our own fresh milk 'cos I cant stand those plastic things.

Dinner was booked for 8.30 and we arrived just before... no chance of a drink at the bar then ?
Seated we were offered water and with some prompting the wine list arrived. For starters we had scallops - just one word- fantastic ! If that was offered as a main dish I'm your man. The main course was equally so. The sweet menu requires some interpretation, being from Yorkshire and liking puddings what I thought I ordered (crumble) and what I got were two different things ... I fell for Chefspeak !

Conclusion a very nice meal, with a very nice wine. So what let it down ...the initially good service evaporated as the night wore on. Yes writing Happy Birthday on my sweet dish was a nice touch and a young lady member of staff was charming. But if they don't want people to eat late then either speed up the service or don't take bookings after 8pm.

I spent the following morning on the patio. Nice coffee. About Midday I wanted a drink from the bar but no sign of staff. I went to sit at a table but had to clear the dirty coffee cups myself which seemed to amuse the staff team which had suddenly appeared in the bar. The place filled up with people for lunch, which illustrated the popularity of the hotel.

I sat in the lounge for a while and was entertained by a young man charming a young couple booking their wedding reception. The peace and quiet being disturbed only by the sound of staff behind the bar bickering noisily like a bunch of schoolkids.

Conclusion a very nice hotel with charming staff and a kitchen brigade who deliver well. Would I go back.... yes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
RichardMarrett, General Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your review and all of your detailed comments which we will be taking on board accordingly. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon to St Michaels Manor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,682 reviews
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!