“A Special occasion made perfect!”

St Michael's Manor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 6 December 2010

After being badly let down late in the day by a local Corus Hotel, I contacted St Michael's Manor in St Albans. The event was to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday and I have to say everyone I dealt with at the hotel could not have been more helpful.
A small group of us had dinner on the Saturday evening, which was beautifully cooked and presented. The staff really could not have been more attentive.
On the Sunday we had a group of 22 of us for lunch and, as for the previous, evening the food and attention to detail was faultless.
We had two bedrooms at the hotel which overlooked the lake. Both were extremely well appointed. The bathroom was hidden behind a mirrored wall and, once found, had a very large bath together with a large walk in shower with a 'dinner plate' shower head. Real luxury!
This important event was so nearly ruined by Corus but we now realise they did us one huge favour!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 November 2010

I must say that I hadn't particularly booked to visit St Albans or St Michael's Manor itself and it was only due to a 'meeting of friends' that I found myself there this past weekend. I'm a fairly well travelled nearly 45 year old and appreciate good taste, good service, good food etc. St Michael's Manor did not disappoint on any level. In fact I would say I felt exceptionally spoilt but totally relaxed as it was without the pretentiousness atmosphere that many hotels allure to.
The room (Magnolia) was divine with an enormous bed, great and newly fitted bathroom, complete with sitting room area ( a suite), all beautifully ( and probably newly) redecorated. Our 8 year old was very happy to be in this room and watch TV/DVD whilst we indulged in more grown up things like wining and dining, in the knowledge that he was able to contact us if necessary!
We dined in the restaurant in the evening and I can honestly say that the meal was memorable as one of the most delicious meals I have ever had. The pork belly with scallops to start, followed by the duck with fois gras, ending with the crème brulee with walnut and sage, all just absolutely divine and complemented by fabulous wine recommended by staff who were very courteous. The side dish of sweet potato chips with chorizo were so.... delicious too!
The hotel building was itself was a beautiful grade II listed building which has obviously been owned by the same family for many decades, hence the very personal touches regarding the many historical photographs present in the foyer and the general decor. It all adds to the charm and individuality of St Michael's Manor. I highly recommend a stay here, I for sure will be visiting again. Book and enjoy!

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Frenchbulldog1966
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Stayed with family the night before my son's graduation as a treat for the special occasion and we weren't disappointed. The evening meal was a joy and the service just right. After the meal we wanted to sample a brandy and whisky, the Maitre d' knew his stuff and advised well. The bedrooms we had both had character rather than being a bland anywhere, any hotel style. Some of the decor is tired but there was a painter working around downstairs so obviously the hotel are keeping the maintenance going.
Overall recommend for pleasure and business for those with a flexible expense account.

Reviewed 19 November 2010

We ve been with my wife in many places ,but we were really surprised about quality of food.Me and my wife had a pollock risotto from a LAKE MENU and a lamb from A la carte menu,which was absolutelly fabolous.The person who took our order havent seen any problems that we combine two menus ,was more than happy to bring even a bowl of crisps and olives without any questions,trick was there that he probably overheard my conversation with my wife when drink order taken.That person answered our questions about food,hotel ad local park as made to do that profesional explanation.we looking forward to come back again,we love that place

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We have just got back from a particularly enjoyable short break in St Albans. The staff at St Michael's Manor were excellent. The food was superb. We both had scallops on belly pork followed by duck, as recommended by the head waiter. Good choice. We loved to room and we hope to stay there again.

Our 9 year old loved the Roman Museum. We will have to go back as there is lots more history to explore.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank poshpoacher
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Booked a night in St Michaels Manor in order to propose to my now finace. From the moment I first made contact, the staff (Emma and Lauran in particular) were more then helpful and went out of there way to make the day extra special and memerable. Emma and Jack even went to the trouble of scrubbing down and setting up the Summer house with candles and Champagne for the special moment. The Mulbury room was beautiful and perfect in every way with 4 poster "most comfortable in the world" bed. The room also opened up to the beatifuly maintained lake and garden. We later enjoyed dinner at the resturant which was also lovely. Overall a great place which exceeded both our expectations. Thanks again to all the staff who went out of there way to make our moment extra special.

Reviewed 8 November 2010

Booked late - great room and terrific food - breakfast exceptional - freshly cooked
A very relaxing stay - looking forward to coming back

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!