“Wedding party 23/24th December 2010”

St Michael's Manor Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Albans
London, United Kingdom
“Wedding party 23/24th December 2010”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

This is the most fantastic hotel I have ever stayed in, and I've stayed in many hotels around the world. The staff are wonderful - like family, the food is Michelin Star quality, the rooms are fabulous and each one is different. Our small party of 14 for a Christmas Eve Wedding were treated like VIP's and even though the hotel was busy for Christmas, nothing was too much trouble and they allowed us to have a small party until late in the private room we hired. Just wonderful. One important note. I left behind my jewellery box and after a week of searching through boxes and bags of Chrismas presents and wedding stuff, I rang the hotel. They had found it in my room and it was stored away in their safe. I cannot recommend this quaint, English, wonderful hotel enough. I will be a regular for certain.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Watford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

My husbands firm always have their christmas dinner at this hotel and he used to always eat a sandwich before he went for lunch there, big big plates, itsey bitsy portions, Well this year it was totally different, there has been a complete change of management and staff
The food was exceptional, large portions , well cooked, and nothing was too much when it came to service ............until coffee, when all of a sudden it hunt for the waiter!!!! but after blowing the whistle found in one of the christmas crackers, all was restored.
Prices are now good value compared with previous years, we are actually looking forward to returning next year

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Cheekychiquita
GeoffGoddard, Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2011
It's refreshing to see that we are living up to our own goals of improving quality and setting higher standards for ourselves and our customers. Thank you. We note your comment about the waiting staff and have taken measures to move the coffee machine to the bar, instead of back of house, so that staff are constantly surveying the restaurant.
Norwich, GB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

After being badly let down late in the day by a local Corus Hotel, I contacted St Michael's Manor in St Albans. The event was to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday and I have to say everyone I dealt with at the hotel could not have been more helpful.
A small group of us had dinner on the Saturday evening, which was beautifully cooked and presented. The staff really could not have been more attentive.
On the Sunday we had a group of 22 of us for lunch and, as for the previous, evening the food and attention to detail was faultless.
We had two bedrooms at the hotel which overlooked the lake. Both were extremely well appointed. The bathroom was hidden behind a mirrored wall and, once found, had a very large bath together with a large walk in shower with a 'dinner plate' shower head. Real luxury!
This important event was so nearly ruined by Corus but we now realise they did us one huge favour!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Rye, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

I must say that I hadn't particularly booked to visit St Albans or St Michael's Manor itself and it was only due to a 'meeting of friends' that I found myself there this past weekend. I'm a fairly well travelled nearly 45 year old and appreciate good taste, good service, good food etc. St Michael's Manor did not disappoint on any level. In fact I would say I felt exceptionally spoilt but totally relaxed as it was without the pretentiousness atmosphere that many hotels allure to.
The room (Magnolia) was divine with an enormous bed, great and newly fitted bathroom, complete with sitting room area ( a suite), all beautifully ( and probably newly) redecorated. Our 8 year old was very happy to be in this room and watch TV/DVD whilst we indulged in more grown up things like wining and dining, in the knowledge that he was able to contact us if necessary!
We dined in the restaurant in the evening and I can honestly say that the meal was memorable as one of the most delicious meals I have ever had. The pork belly with scallops to start, followed by the duck with fois gras, ending with the crème brulee with walnut and sage, all just absolutely divine and complemented by fabulous wine recommended by staff who were very courteous. The side dish of sweet potato chips with chorizo were so.... delicious too!
The hotel building was itself was a beautiful grade II listed building which has obviously been owned by the same family for many decades, hence the very personal touches regarding the many historical photographs present in the foyer and the general decor. It all adds to the charm and individuality of St Michael's Manor. I highly recommend a stay here, I for sure will be visiting again. Book and enjoy!

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Frenchbulldog1966
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

Stayed with family the night before my son's graduation as a treat for the special occasion and we weren't disappointed. The evening meal was a joy and the service just right. After the meal we wanted to sample a brandy and whisky, the Maitre d' knew his stuff and advised well. The bedrooms we had both had character rather than being a bland anywhere, any hotel style. Some of the decor is tired but there was a painter working around downstairs so obviously the hotel are keeping the maintenance going.
Overall recommend for pleasure and business for those with a flexible expense account.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

We ve been with my wife in many places ,but we were really surprised about quality of food.Me and my wife had a pollock risotto from a LAKE MENU and a lamb from A la carte menu,which was absolutelly fabolous.The person who took our order havent seen any problems that we combine two menus ,was more than happy to bring even a bowl of crisps and olives without any questions,trick was there that he probably overheard my conversation with my wife when drink order taken.That person answered our questions about food,hotel ad local park as made to do that profesional explanation.we looking forward to come back again,we love that place

• Stayed November 2010
Wallingford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

We have just got back from a particularly enjoyable short break in St Albans. The staff at St Michael's Manor were excellent. The food was superb. We both had scallops on belly pork followed by duck, as recommended by the head waiter. Good choice. We loved to room and we hope to stay there again.

Our 9 year old loved the Roman Museum. We will have to go back as there is lots more history to explore.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,678 reviews
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!