“Dissappointed”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed 28 January 2011

This was to be the last night for a long time I was spending with my partner and was wanting it to be special.
The room could have done with some updating. The shower was so hard to turn on and off, I had to get my partner to do it for me.
We were woken around midnight by a very loud party of girls, screaming and laughing with no regard to other guests. This went on for about 15 minutes until I assume they were told to quieten down.
Aside from that, it was a nice place, just not worth the money spent.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kiwigirl064
GeoffGoddard, Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
This is depressing reading especially coming from someone who has travelled so far. We do our best to insist that our guests behave courteously, especially after 11pm, but unfortunately this may have tainted the visit. Whilst we are aware that not all rooms are of the same high standard we are undertaking a huge refurbishment programme of all facilities and bedrooms. We would have been happy to upgrade the guest had they pointed out the problems at the time and would be more than happy to redress the situation if they had the opportunity to revisit. Meanwhile we apologise for their inconvenience and disappointment.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Only stayed one night for attend a social function in St Albans and found the location great for centre. The room was good and comfortable and the staff friendly. No issues / no hassles.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
We thank this guest for complimenting the hotel and staff. We are fortunate to be situated in an historical location yet within a short walk of the city centre and all its amenities. Hopefully with the all the improvements under way, to be completed by April 2011, we could welcome you back for a longer stay next time.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Restaurant food was really, really dire. My bill for 5 adults and 2 children was approx. 280 pounds ($350+/-). For these kinds of prices I expect at worst okay food.

I knew something was off when I noticed the carpet needed cleaning, there was no music ambience and the statute next to my table had several broken limbs.

It is a good job I work out six days a week as it really took some serious strength to literally HACK through the tiny piece of steak I was given – “you might need a chain saw” - it was like chewing bubble gum. I was going to invite the waiter over and have him try and hack through the tiny morsel of meat I was given in front of everyone to make a point, but reframed because it was my mum’s birthday and was being polite.

For the appetizer I had smoked salmon. This was the smallest wafer of a piece of salmon I have ever experienced. It was a joke. The entire piece was the size of approx. 3 postage stamps and about the same thickness.

The only thing that filled me up was the bread of which the first two pieces were rock hard. The only thing the bread would be good for is building houses.

To add insult to injury, the entrées came with no vegetables - even at the crazy prices they were charging - you had to pay extra.

"The steak, in all my 40+ years, was by far the worst I have ever had in restaurant". Having eaten all over the world (including third world countries) such a statement stands on its own.

The prior Sunday we went for a pub lunch in the middle of St. Albans and it was amazing compared to the rubbish we were served at The Manor. Oh and the pub lunch only cost 8.95.

The service at The Manor from the wait staff was excellent, I am okay with paying for my drinks and the gratuity, but as for the food I want my money back - I got seriously robbed - call the food police and arrest the chef – life in prison….

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank chatichati
GeoffGoddard, Manager at St Michael's Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2011
This is such a contrast to our recent reviews that we are at a loss to understand this guest’s disappointing dining experience, particularly since this was during Sunday Lunch and we don’t serve steak. In fact our Sunday lunches are generally nearly always fully booked in advance because they are so popular and often highly commended for their abundance of vegetables and high quality of meat. Portion control is one of quality standards and it certainly would not be in our interest to send out small or inadequate dishes. Had the guest mentioned his disappointment at the time to the staff that he kindly praised (and highly tipped) they would have undoubtedly responded immediately.

The dining area has very recently been refurbished with a brand new carpet fitted only a few weeks ago and, as such, the staff are penalised from their tips if it is found not to be kept in the best condition at all times. We can only apologise if the antiques on display are not to this guest’s tastes.

There are over 90 restaurants and eating establishments in St Albans, making for healthy competition and offering a range of food styles, but comparing a two rosette restaurant in a hotel with a pub is a bold contrast.However, we did respond to customer demand 18 months ago when we launched our now extremely popular brasserie-style menu which is priced more favourably.
Nevertheless we would welcome the opportunity to readdress this guest’s opinion and invite them to dine with us again at which point, if they are still disappointed, we would be happy to consider a refund.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2011

This is the most fantastic hotel I have ever stayed in, and I've stayed in many hotels around the world. The staff are wonderful - like family, the food is Michelin Star quality, the rooms are fabulous and each one is different. Our small party of 14 for a Christmas Eve Wedding were treated like VIP's and even though the hotel was busy for Christmas, nothing was too much trouble and they allowed us to have a small party until late in the private room we hired. Just wonderful. One important note. I left behind my jewellery box and after a week of searching through boxes and bags of Chrismas presents and wedding stuff, I rang the hotel. They had found it in my room and it was stored away in their safe. I cannot recommend this quaint, English, wonderful hotel enough. I will be a regular for certain.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Watford
Reviewed 17 December 2010

My husbands firm always have their christmas dinner at this hotel and he used to always eat a sandwich before he went for lunch there, big big plates, itsey bitsy portions, Well this year it was totally different, there has been a complete change of management and staff
The food was exceptional, large portions , well cooked, and nothing was too much when it came to service ............until coffee, when all of a sudden it hunt for the waiter!!!! but after blowing the whistle found in one of the christmas crackers, all was restored.
Prices are now good value compared with previous years, we are actually looking forward to returning next year

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Cheekychiquita
It's refreshing to see that we are living up to our own goals of improving quality and setting higher standards for ourselves and our customers. Thank you. We note your comment about the waiting staff and have taken measures to move the coffee machine to the bar, instead of back of house, so that staff are constantly surveying the restaurant.
Norwich, GB
Reviewed 6 December 2010

After being badly let down late in the day by a local Corus Hotel, I contacted St Michael's Manor in St Albans. The event was to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday and I have to say everyone I dealt with at the hotel could not have been more helpful.
A small group of us had dinner on the Saturday evening, which was beautifully cooked and presented. The staff really could not have been more attentive.
On the Sunday we had a group of 22 of us for lunch and, as for the previous, evening the food and attention to detail was faultless.
We had two bedrooms at the hotel which overlooked the lake. Both were extremely well appointed. The bathroom was hidden behind a mirrored wall and, once found, had a very large bath together with a large walk in shower with a 'dinner plate' shower head. Real luxury!
This important event was so nearly ruined by Corus but we now realise they did us one huge favour!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Rye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I must say that I hadn't particularly booked to visit St Albans or St Michael's Manor itself and it was only due to a 'meeting of friends' that I found myself there this past weekend. I'm a fairly well travelled nearly 45 year old and appreciate good taste, good service, good food etc. St Michael's Manor did not disappoint on any level. In fact I would say I felt exceptionally spoilt but totally relaxed as it was without the pretentiousness atmosphere that many hotels allure to.
The room (Magnolia) was divine with an enormous bed, great and newly fitted bathroom, complete with sitting room area ( a suite), all beautifully ( and probably newly) redecorated. Our 8 year old was very happy to be in this room and watch TV/DVD whilst we indulged in more grown up things like wining and dining, in the knowledge that he was able to contact us if necessary!
We dined in the restaurant in the evening and I can honestly say that the meal was memorable as one of the most delicious meals I have ever had. The pork belly with scallops to start, followed by the duck with fois gras, ending with the crème brulee with walnut and sage, all just absolutely divine and complemented by fabulous wine recommended by staff who were very courteous. The side dish of sweet potato chips with chorizo were so.... delicious too!
The hotel building was itself was a beautiful grade II listed building which has obviously been owned by the same family for many decades, hence the very personal touches regarding the many historical photographs present in the foyer and the general decor. It all adds to the charm and individuality of St Michael's Manor. I highly recommend a stay here, I for sure will be visiting again. Book and enjoy!

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to St Michael's Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!