“Never again! Do not waste your money!”
Review of Le Moulin

Le Moulin
Ranked #245 of 330 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Never again! Do not waste your money!”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This restaurant has 4 tables and judging by the attitude and service of the main woman/front of house this is 4 tables too many for them to cope with.
I wish we had read the reviews before we went as not only is the front of house lady the rudest and most appalling waitress I've ever encountered, the food was average and it was expensive for what it was. As I say don't waste your money unless you like being treated rudely by an incompetent and unfriendly waitress. Gordon Ramsey would have a field day with this one!

2 Thank MarcWoolfson

St Albans, United Kingdom
“Le Moulin Wheathampstead”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

This restaurant needs to move into the modern age and learn the meaning of civility. When we booked a table at Le Moulin (in the name of Clarke) we were informed that they didn't accept cards so we would need to pay by cheque. On arrival we were met by a surly unhelpful member of staff who was reticent even to show us a table. As it turned out that we were not the the regular Clarkes they were expecting. They then informed us that we would have to pay by cash as cheque guarantee cards were no longer valid. They suggested we went to the local Tesco to get cash from an ATM.

Additionally the restuarant smelt of cooking fumes.

Guess what we did - we left!! Never been so insulted.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank michael c
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Great Little Resturant”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Perfect for romance, food was lovely, chef was friendly, This is our second time eating in this restaurant, The owner had 3 tables booked but for some reason the other 2 tables had cancelled so we had the restaurant to our self's, which was lovely as we felt we had our on private chef, the only problem we had was we were un able to pay pay card , its cash only. But we would return.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Debbie B
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Fine Dining in Wheathampstead”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This is a duplicate of what I have just posted for the Wheathampstead entry as this is where the restaurant is located.

Although I try and review restaurants I have eaten in the last week or two it is about three months since I last visited here. We tend to come here three or four times a year. The food is fantastic – cooked from fresh ingredients that I believe are sourced daily. Last time I had sea bass and my partner went for lamb. Both were excellent. Although at first glance some people may think the mains expensive the price is inclusive of potatoes and seasonal vegetables – not an additional £5 - £6 like some places. For dessert we had a pear tart with vanilla ice cream – absolutely delicious! With the meal we had a bottle of Pinot Grigio – again excellent and like the food chosen with care. We will definitely fit in another visit before Christmas.

There have been a number of comments about the waitress here. This puzzles us as we have always found her quite polite. The only time I have seen her starting to show annoyance was when a customer complained that he had not got what he had ordered. He had! The problem was that he had read only the first few words of the menu item. Ignore the negative comments and enjoy some of the best food available in Hertfordshire.

Highly recommended!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank StevenB209
Hitchin
“Nice food, shame about the service”
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Food was pleasant enough, but a bit overpriced, and more importantly (and consistent with the comments above) the service was poor. The woman who was acting as the sole member of front of house staff didn't seem to know what any of the dishes on the menu were, and just referred every question we asked back to the chef. She then completely forgot to bring the glass of wine I had asked for, and when I reminded her, she didn't even seem to remember that I had ordered it.

The icing on the cake was when the bill came - she informed us that she'd included a voucher entitling us to 25% off our next visit. At this point I mentioned that we also had a voucher to use for tonight's visit, entitling us to £30 off the bill (the voucher had been purchased online by my wife). The woman seemed quite put out by this and loudly exclaimed "oh no - you should have mentioned this when you booked". I told her that I was fairly sure my wife *had* mentioned it when she booked (my wife was in the bathroom at this point, and was as such unable to contribute). The woman simply replied "Well she didn't". She then said "Well, if you're going to use a voucher then I'll have to take the bill away again, as we're going to charge you for the bread" (we had eaten one slice of complementary bread each while waiting for our starters - we had not ordered any extra bread). I got halfway through my next sentence when the woman just turned around and walked off with the voucher. At this point I was feeling fairly bemused - this all seemed quite unnecessary and over the top. When my wife returned, the woman came back to the table and proceeded to question my wife loudly about when she had booked the table, again stating categorically that she had not mentioned the voucher as 'her partner would have written it down'. She then brought out the chef (her partner) and again challenged my wife. The chef, however, quickly accepted that he may well have forgotten to write it down and did vaguely remember talking to my wife on the phone. The waitress' attitude then suddenly changed, and she said "Oh, well, in that case it's okay. He gets forgetful when he's left here on his own". I was now feeling pretty p-ed off, especially as she now seemed quite content that the situation had been resolved. To cap it all, when the bill reappeared (this time with two slices of bread added), the '25% off' voucher for our next visit was no longer present.

This whole experience left a sour taste in our mouths and we won't be going back. A shame, because the chef makes nice food, and seemed like a nice guy - all for nothing thanks to the attitude of the front of house staff. I (generally) really like small independent restaurants, and would seek them out in preference to an establishment that is part of a chain, but rudeness is rudeness and there's no excuse for it.

• Visited September 2012