“Delicious food, great value”
Review of Verdi's Trattoria

Verdi's Trattoria
Ranked #53 of 336 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

If you like BIG portions, go to Verdi's! My husband and I went for dinner on our anniversary weekend. The restaurant is located on the edge of a beautiful park, and it would be perfect for eating outside, but unfortunately it was a bit too cold on the day we went. However, our table was next to the kitchen, and it was great to watch our food being freshly prepared.

The rosemary focaccia was delicious. The pasta dishes were absolutely huge! My husband and I both have large appetites, and we certainly were not disappointed. In fact, it was the first time that I have seen my husband unable to finish his meal! I had pasta with clams, garlic and chilli and it was really tasty. I was especially impressed that it was absolutely crammed with clams, and for only £9!

We hope to come again the next time we are in St Albans.

There are newer reviews for Verdi's Trattoria

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I last visited this restaurant 12 years ago, there was nothing wrong with the food but they changed their bookings to 2 sittings per evening, 7 and 9 which did not suite us so we stopped going. Not sure why we decided to try again but really happy we did. They have changed the bookings so you can arrive at any time and the restaurant was as welcoming as we remembered. We had a booking for 8 people on a Saturday night and I was a little concerned as I walked in as it was very busy and I thought the service might suffer. I could not have been more wrong, the staff were great and could not do enough, I had the panzanella for starters which is tuna with borlotti beans and onions on a ciabatta bread which was absolutely lovely and then the Agnello Chicolana (Excuse the spelling) for main, this is lamb cooked in cream with black olives and was as tasty as I remembered from having it here so long ago. Everyone enjoyed themselves, the food is fresh and cooked really well and they also have a good selection of wines. My family and I had a brilliant evening and will be back very soon.

2  Thank KennedyBarry
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Busy, fun, great location for outdoor meal in the warm summer evening. Glad we made a booking as people had to be turned away since they were SO busy. Really delicious pizza. Not brilliant salad - but the pizza and pasta definitely made up forit.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

went here spontaneously on a Wednesday night. it gets good reviews and was recommended by a friend. well, the owner was very friendly and laid up a table for us close to the door - it was very hot. the place is comfortable but not particularly cosy or intimate. we were sat by the ice cream display cabinet so we were a bit squashed in.
the menu is impressive but there are far too many dishes for them to be cooked freshly, and that's pretty much what we got
I had a prawn cocktail starter although I don't think it was called that, but it was a plate with a bed of lettuce, prawns, and sauce. I had to ask for some bread. for mains, I had chicken romana...... which is basically a chicken breast smothered in a sauce that is a tin of chopped tomatoes with a little chilli added, and chips. I could have made a better dish myself
my partner had a mushroom ravioli which was delicious, and our guest had seafood linguine which was also very nice. maybe I chose the wrong dish !! we had a dessert that was very forgettable....
we had a lot of water, a bottle of peroni, 3 glasses of wine.... and it came to a touch over £70 which is pretty steep for what it was .
all rather disappointing, and will probably not be returning. there are far far better places to eat in st albans.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We visited this restaurant for our anniversary and had not been here for a few years. We asked for a table outside and were seated outside on the decking which is surrounded by grape vines. The food was fantastic we both had anti pesto for starters which was nearly a main meal on it's own. When it came to the course my wife was told she could have anything on the menu and the had gluten free pasta, she had the chicken pasta and could not finish it, i went for the filet states which was the best i have ever tasted, for afters we shared a sorbet and had coffee, plus the owner bought us two glasses of Amaretto and the end which was on the house. The staff were great and were attentive but not over the top and the whole evening was very relaxed. The bill including wine and 2 beers as well came to under £70 which was fantastic. This is the best Italian in St Albans it may be out of the town centre but it is worth a visit. We will be going again.

1  Thank Bill B