“Absolutely superb!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Albans
Tankerfield House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 15 St Albans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here with our friends for a birthday celebration nearby. As we arrived first, we picked the Green Room so I could sit comfortably in the sitting room watching athletics whilst my husband rested. After the party, we all arrived back at different times of the night, but this was no problem.
Breakfast was excellent and all six of us were catered for with ease. The decor of the whole house is really delightful and worth visiting for that alone.

Room Tip: All 3 rooms are uniquely different, but the Green Room has its own sitting room and full size bathro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My husband and I booked this delightful B & B for 2 nights because my husband was playing in a golf match, and as the location is only a 5 minute walk from the centre of town, meant I was able to explore St Albans by foot very easily. We chose the "White Room" as we liked the the outlook to the Abbey and the other outlook up a St Albans street. The room was also very spacious and comfortable, which was perfect for me to spend time in whilst my husband played golf. Our room was very clean, plenty of wardrobe space, comfortable chairs to relax in and a lovely antique desk to sit at whilst using my laptop. The French bed was comfortable and the room is very quiet, there are also plenty of lamps to give a soft lighting effect to the room and no dingy areas. The bathroom is light and roomy, there is a nice sized bath with shower and plenty of towels. Breakfast in the morning was really super, we had coffee which was freshly brewed and was a nice strength, then melon which was nice and ripe and freshly sliced. Alberto cooked our breakfasts to perfection, very tasty and presented with care. Jacqui and Alberto were lovely hosts and very much concerned that you have a good comfortable stay. We would highly recommend a stay here you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband and I booked his parents in to stay at The Tankerfield House B&B from 18th -21st August, whilst they were over visiting from Ireland. They were offered the "Green Room" which was very spacious with a bedroom and a lounge area and all very nicely decorated. The owners Jacqui and Alberto were so friendly and could not do enough to ensure my in-laws were happy throughout their stay. The breakfast was delicious and taken in a beautifully decorated room, with a huge mirror and exotic birds on the wallpaper. Each morning there was a good selection on offer all cooked by Alberto and they had a very restful sleep in a comfortable bed. The location being in the centre of town could not have been better and it enabled my in-laws to explore St Albans by foot very easily whilst we were at work. They really enjoyed themselves here and would highly recommend for anyone visiting the area to stay, in particular if you wish to be close to all the amenities offered in St Albans such as the shops, cathedral (which you can see from the front entrance) and restaurants.

1  Thank happyfoodie78
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at this delightful B & B while visiting family in St Albans. My mother in law booked it for us following a recommendation from a friend of hers. We were not disappointed! We were given a choice of rooms and chose "The White Room" as we liked the twin aspect from the windows - one overlooking the cathedral and the other looking up one of the beautiful streets of St Albans.
We found the room very comfortable with lots of wardrobe space and hangers, tea and coffee making facilities, a good sized bathroom, and 2 chairs for relaxing in! We thought there might have been noise from the street outside, but were surprised as how how quiet it was, especially as we stayed over a bank holiday weekend.
Breakfast in the morning was wonderful! We made our own toast and tea, which I liked as it gave the stay a very homely feel. Sliced melon every morning and then cooked breakfast to order.
We had lovely chats with Jacqui and Alberto in the morning over breakfast and found them to be lovely, friendly hosts!
Tankerfield House is a unique bed and breakfast with good rooms, lovely food and friendly hosts. Would recommend it!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I can only the echo the comments of previous contributors that have pointed out the customer service, quality of the accommodation, and great food. And it's cheaper than you would think...

Jacqui and Alberto, thanks very much.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We had a lovely stay at Tankerfield House in the Green Suite with our 5 year old son. Jacqui and Alberto were very hospitable and allowed us to check in early and shower after a long flight from Singapore. There was an extra bed set up for our son in the room between the bedroom and bathroom - the entire setup was perfect for us and the breakfast fantastic. Our son loved the suite of armour downstairs, which was just the same size as he was! Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed in the lovely Red Room at Tankerfield House B&B last week (on the nights of 23 and 24 July 2013) while recovering from my hernia repair operation at Harpenden Spire hospital. My en-suite bedroom had a lovely view towards the historical St Albans Cathedral and was tastefully decorated in an eclectic mix of modern and traditional.
My hosts were the very friendly and kind Jacqui and Alberto, an Anglo-Italian couple, who went out of their way to make me feel at home and pampered.
Breakfast is served in the very pleasant dining room, the walls of which are covered in a fabulous turquoisey blue wallpaper of an Asian floral design which almost transports you to some grand palace in India. Alberto is a professional chef who also runs Alberto's Restaurant in Hemel Hempstead, so his breakfast service is very special. I had delicious scrambled eggs & smoked salmon on my first morning there, and two perfectly poached eggs with tomatoes on the second, as well as several slices of juicy melon and lovely crisp toast.
Apart from offering a full English breakfast and freshly brewed coffee, they also offer all the usual cereals, croissants, jams, fresh fruit and juices.
My room was well stocked with coffee, hot chocolate and a wide variety of teas and Jacqui treated me to some of Alberto's fabulous vegetable soup when I was feeling weak. She also sent me a basket of cherries and a gloriously sweet, ripe peach to cheer me up. The wifi and flatscreen TV with Freeview were both in excellent working order.
As we were having lovely hot sunny summer weather, the room was even more light and airy than it would normally be. I had the sash window wide open till late at night and there was very little traffic, only the occasional sounds of happy people, wandering to and from the abbey, or up towards the restaurants and coffee shops.
Tankerfield House B&B is situated on the corner of Romeland Hill and Spicer St and is just a short walk from St Albans High Street, with its plethora of shops, and of course, the abbey. It has a Georgian facade, but the foundations are medieval. For those who like a bit of fantasy, there are a resident ghost and a poltergeist, one of whom apparently is a mischievous lady who likes to hide bits of saucy underwear in guests' suitcases! I was slightly delirious on my first night there as the anaesthetic took a while to wear off, and at one point, as I was dozing, saw a lady in a white raincoat standing over me. She then suddenly fled from the room! Could it have been one of these ethereal beings?
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and am only sorry that when I booked, there were only these few nights available, as I had wanted a week. I would have loved to have had more time to savour the charms of central St Alban’s assured that, at the end of each day, I could rest and relax in such a comfortable room.

Room Tip: The Red Room might be the smallest room, but it is a very spacious double room by any standards. It...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo