“Food, glorious food.”

The Green Dragon
Ranked #44 of 344 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: As an old coach house that dates back to 1758, The Green Dragon became a pub several years later, steeped in history, with original features including the low beams and the fire place in the bar area. Julie has been the owner of The Green Dragon for 10 years and counting. We serve traditional home-cooked food, lunchtimes everyday, as well as evening food from Tuesday through until Saturday, and take pride in every meal thats sent out of our kitchen. We also host live music throughout the year with some fantastic bands, solo acts and acoustic live mic sets hitting the pub. A warm welcome is always received upon arrival and we hope to see you soon whether it be for food, drinks or a little bit of live music.
Reviewed 15 June 2013

First visit! I visited on a busy Wednesday evening with a few of my work colleagues. The bar staff were friendly and quick to serve. We ordered food too which was brought out in quick fashion. The food was absolutely lovely. All of it was cooked to perfection. The price at first seems a little steep but it is well worth it. I will definitely be going again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Visited mid-week and poor weather. Wasn't too busy, I can imagine due to location that weekends etc would be rather different!. No pretensions, 'old-fashioned' type pub. Good menu. Food nice. Overall I would recommend.

3  Thank Emma T
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Visited the Green Dragon a few times in recent months and loving it! A proper good old fashioned put that doens't pretend to be a full blown restaurant or gastro pub: just a really good pub! The menu is I would say "rustic" and I always feel spoilt for choice even though I consider myself a fussy eater. Portions are very generous and excellent value for money. The atmosphere is informal and relaxed and I cannot fault the service in any way. Beautifully positioned with a lovely little green and a stream at the front, is perfect for families as well! Only one downside to it... they don't serve food after 4 o'clock on a sunday. That a bit rubbish but there you go, I suppose I can't have it all. Overall an excellent pub and I strongly reccomend visiting.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Green Dragon was the venue for a charity quiz night between Marks and Spencer's London Colney and St Albans Branches on Monday 16 May 2013. About 90 people attended . I was served promptly and cheerfully at the bar. During the quiz ,we were brought a selection of Onion Rings, Potato skins and Chips,together with Guacomole,Sweet Chili, Sour Cream and chive and houmus dips. The food was impeccable. Other people chose to order from the pub's extensive menu. During the course of the evening the staff worked hard and cheerfully to clear tables of glasses. this was the first time that I had visited the Green Dragon. It won't be my last. Highly recommended

1  Thank Snorbenite
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Good pub food served by helpful staff. Nice and busy on a Monday lunchtime so it had a good atmosphere. We'll be back!

1  Thank Hayfever123
TheGreenDragon1, Manager at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thanks for such a great review, it is very much appreciated! Just a quick response to let you know that you were the lucky winner of our bi-monthly draw, meaning that you have won a free 2 course meal for 2, with us at The Green Dragon.
Please make yourself known to Lee or Chris the next time you are in and either or will sort the rest out for you.
(I shall send you a PM on here, so all you'll have to do is print it off for us, and we'll use that as confirmation)
THANKS ONCE AGAIN!!