“This is what I call a pub”
Review of The Green Dragon

The Green Dragon
Ranked #49 of 329 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, View, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: As an old coach house that dates back to 1758, The Green Dragon became a pub several years later, steeped in history, with original features including the low beams and the fire place in the bar area. Julie has been the owner of The Green Dragon for 10 years and counting.We serve traditional home-cooked food, lunchtimes everyday, as well as evening food from Tuesday through until Saturday, and take pride in every meal thats sent out of our kitchen.We also host live music throughout the year with some fantastic bands, solo acts and acoustic live mic sets hitting the pub.A warm welcome is always received upon arrival and we hope to see you soon whether it be for food, drinks or a little bit of live music.
St Albans, United Kingdom
“This is what I call a pub”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is a proper pub in the old true sense on the word and If music is on its wonderful.

I have drunk in this pub for many years and have recently been using it for lunches. Good home cooked food which is rare these days and value for money to boot the portions are huge so beware but that is not a negative, the only downside of that comment is that I never have space for one of their sweets which I hear are wonderful.

• Visited October 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Good Food..And More”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I have been in The Green Dragon public house a few times now,Firstly for a Drink but recently for some thing to Eat...The Food is Varied and Plentiful and now i have to judge how hungry i really am as the time before last i Struggled to get through it..As i am Not a small eater by far...My friends enjoy their Beer and often comment how Good the beer is here..The Staff are Friendly Polite and nothing seems to much trouble..I have Recommended The Green Dragon to a number of my Friends who all say they have Enjoyed it..I do Not live in the Area of The Green Dragon and it takes me 30/45 minutes plus to get there,But i Believe it is well Worth it...

• Visited November 2013
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Over-hyped, not one of the best in St Albans!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We were encouraged to visit by this pub's ranking and the many good reviews on this site. It was a pleasant enough experience, but the food was just ok, and not good value for money. An item advertised as being in a dish was not included, but the kitchen did make amends. Expected much better. Probably won't return.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Cosmo59
Bangkok, Thailand
“Diamond Anniversary Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Absolutely marvellous – welcome, food, staff, service. Parents wanted a low key Diamond Anniversary celebration and whole thing was 2 carat set in platinum– just perfect for what they wanted.
Julie the landlady is amazing had a chat with her about our requirements 6 weeks before the date and it was agreed we could use the restaurant and decorate it - fantastic and Julie was so flexible and amicable totally accommodating our afternoon tea spread request. We were even allowed to take in the anniversary cake without charge – nice touch and much appreciated.

30 guests and most importantly the happy couple had a delightful afternoon.

Tea and coffee were replenished efficiently throughout the afternoon. A large and varied selection of sandwiches and rolls all with fresh fillings - salmon and cream cheese my favourite - were thoroughly enjoyed by all. Cake oh well you had to leave just a little room which was difficult given the quality and quantity of the sandwiches and rolls. Carrot cake – moist, nutty and beautifully iced, lemon drizzle which dripped lemons, brownies – yummy and scones with cream and jam....... then I really did not have any more room in my tummy but there was plenty more for those who did.

Prosecco for the toast – chilled dry and so reasonably priced.

Julie and her team were ‘Diamonds’ and made this event sparkle. A massive heartfelt THANK YOU to all at the Green Dragon.

• Visited October 2013
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Saw "The Push" what a great band”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a great pub for live music, we saw the push on a Friday night what a great atmosphere and the place was packed with people dancing. But really where did they get a band of this standard to play. The locals seem to know a good thing when they see it, I suggest you try it out for yourself, make sure you don't miss the push when they play this wonderful riverside village pub

Visited October 2013