“Good food in lovely setting”
Review of The Green Dragon

The Green Dragon
Ranked #54 of 336 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: As an old coach house that dates back to 1758, The Green Dragon became a pub several years later, steeped in history, with original features including the low beams and the fire place in the bar area. Julie has been the owner of The Green Dragon for 10 years and counting. We serve traditional home-cooked food, lunchtimes everyday, as well as evening food from Tuesday through until Saturday, and take pride in every meal thats sent out of our kitchen. We also host live music throughout the year with some fantastic bands, solo acts and acoustic live mic sets hitting the pub. A warm welcome is always received upon arrival and we hope to see you soon whether it be for food, drinks or a little bit of live music.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We went here because 30 years ago my husband commuted past here every day, and always thought it looked nice but never ate there. And he should have done! it was lovely. Good pub grub at reasonable prices, in a very nice setting, and an open area to take the dog for a walk afterwards. We're not often in that area, but if we were, I'd seek it out again.

There are newer reviews for The Green Dragon

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Four of us went for a Friday night meal at the Green Dragon. I had booked quite late the evening before and got a very courteous and helpful response with assurance of a good table either in the bar or the restaurant. I was also told that there would be live music - I wasn't sure about that bit but as it turned out the singer was excellent. The food was very good and the portions were large - we shared starters and both the seafood and the deli-board sharing plates were good and generous. The mains were also very good although we didn't do them justice as we had eaten so much for starters! we didn't have desserts but overall I would say it was well above average for pub food, it was reasonable priced and the service (thank you William) was particularly friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We will all happily go again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I went to lunch at the Green Dragon on Sat 12 july. We have visited a couple of times before and always received a warm, friendly welcome and great food, unfortunately this visit was quite the opposite. There was no staff on the bar...had to wait over 5mins! When a bar person did show up, there was no apologies for the wait. The younger bar lady was chewing gum whilst taking our food and drink order, which I thought was very unprofessional, no please or thank you while taking our payment. I am most disappointed in the service we received on this visit

3  Thank Jayne B
Julie V, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am concerned to hear that you were left disappointed by your experience at The Green Dragon last Saturday. All comments whether positive or negative are taken very seriously and I am upset about the events and am personally looking into it. If you could please e-mail me (green.dragon.lc@hotmail.co.uk) I would like to discuss your visit further.
I look forward to hearing from you, many thanks
Julie

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I hadn't been here for a few years, so decided to try it out again. I was really impressed with both food and service. On Monday to Wednesday nights they offer a fixed price menu for two courses at £11.90. With a cheeseboard to follow and a soft drink, my bill came to £19.90. Very good value for such a tasty meal. Service was friendly and quick and the food was definitely gastro pub standard.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

decided to try this pub for a meal with my wife before the england v peru match after reading reviews we had a lovely meal and were looked after by the staff who were brilliant and who even let us settle our bill for our meal at the end of the evening so we would not miss the game in the bar area a very friendly pub i wished i lived in the area because if i did this would be my local

1  Thank 826davel