“Disappontment and pleasure”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Disappontment and pleasure”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Went on a saturday night.the outside and the area were not good but i was pleasently surprised with the food and the service.this place could benefit with decorating outside and updating inside.

• Visited May 2014

Ingatestone, United Kingdom
“Distinctly average food”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is my second visit, the last being 8 months ago. On both occasions I can honestly say that I've been underwhelmed with the food offer. We went on a Thursday night and there were no more than 4 other people dining whilst we were there, which struck me as low for a local restaurant with lots of chimney pots nearby. It was the same when I visited previously.

Service was fine and the staff were pleasant, but a restaurant starts and finishes with the quality of the food and frankly I found it rather bland. The toilets also looked as though they could do with a good clean. Again, that always puts me off as you start to wonder whether the same levels of hygiene are maintained in the kitchen.

I've read other reviews and can see a mixed bag. Some good, some bad. For me, they just need to keep the wc's clean and concentrate on delivering consistently high quality food with some spice. Sadly, I can only report that it was distinctly average.

It's a convenient location for me to meet a particular friend, so I'm likely to return in a few months time. So I hope the owners heed the advice and up their game. Let's hope it's a case of third time lucky so I can give a decent review.

• Visited April 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Took 1hr 45 mins to be delivered”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Me and my partner stayed at sopwell house and after a long day ordered food from here and was told half an hour to 45 minutes delivery time. An hour later the food still hadn't come so I called them back and they said the driver had just left and should be there within the next 10 minutes. Half an hour later and he still wasn't here. By the time it came the food was cold and we had both lost our appetite. The driver and the restaurant both claimed that they had tried calling me (when my phone had full signal and hadn't even rang) to tell me the driver was outside although we had arranged for the driver to bring the food to our room. Diabolical service. Food would have been okay if it was warm. They offered no help to solve the situation. Keep away

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Benmacca
London
“Going downhill”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I wrote a glowing 5* review of this a while back but it's gone downhill since then. Firstly, St Albans environmental health team visited and gave this a 'poor' hygiene rating (can be seen on the council website). I've no idea why, but I had a few meals where glasses came and were dirty which is never promising. Secondly, the service has gone downhill and there are such long waits for food, drinks and the bill. Lastly, a friend had a stomach upset after the meal. I'm afraid I've gone from being very regular to someone who won't return again. The hygiene rating has really put me off.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Ticklish_of_London
Hertfordshire
“Sad to see it go downhill”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This used to be a great place but the service, food and value-for-money has been replaced with a most disappointing experience. The change in menu seems to have brought with it an impatient and rude attitude from the staff no longer keen to oblige. The food has seriously gone downhill and is bland and unappealing. Perhaps they have lost their old chef but if you knew this place previously, you will be disappointed now. Some genius decided that (I assume business was not good) the prices charged should rise a lot and the result is a meal costing around £30 per head and that was with only one (disappointingly small) drink. However, the quality of the food offering has shrunk almost as much as the prices have risen giving a feeling of desperation. Even the parking is a problem which is ironic since this is in the middle of nowhere. They have parking for four cars and these spaces were taken up by the staff. Most local Indian restaurants take the ever popular Tastecard (which reduces the bill by a lot) and yet this place doesn't. Tough competition I suppose but the answer is not to alienate your regulars. Such a shame but the decision not to return is an easy one. Frankly there's better, cheaper and better value close by.

• Visited January 2014