“Very nice traditional pub”
Review of The White Lion

The White Lion
Ranked #93 of 351 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a pub that does food, not strictly a restaurant.
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Nipped in for a pint with friends as it was recommended in the good pub guide. Lovely little pub with friendly staff and a good range of beers. well worth a visit.

2  Thank Sloany49

Reviewed 25 November 2013

From what I have been told the White Lion is under new management. My wife and I met up with another couple for a Friday lunch and remembering how busy the pub has been in the past I booked a table on-line (which was acknowledged promptly via email). I needn't have bothered with the reservation as the pub was unbelievably quite for a Friday lunchtime. Well, what a shame as all those 'non-customers' missed some great home cooked food. There was a good variety of Specials on the blackboard and both the ladies chose Steak and Ale pies, served with mash and a selection of vegetables while us 'boys' both went for the Liver and Bacon, mine with mash, my friends with boiled potatoes. Although we were told the food would take about 30 minutes to be served (as it was cooked to order) it appeared piping hot after about 20 minutes. It all looked, smelt and tasted fabulous – REAL home cooking. It goes without saying that The White Lion is famous for its selection of beers and once again I wasn't disappointed. I don't know why the pub wasn't very busy that day. Maybe just one of those days, but if our experience was anything to go by I'm sure it will become very popular once again. If I've got one tiny niggle it would have been nice to see the fire alight, as it was a cold day and this would have added to the welcome and general atmosphere. Good luck to the new owners.

3  Thank David C
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Went to eat here due to positive reviews on TripAdvisor but couldn't as they don't allow kids in. Bah humbug.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

A proper English pub with some great beer, simple tasty food & excellent atmosphere! Tucked away, in an old part of St Albans city centre, it's definitely worth the walk.

1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I used to drink in the White Lion 25 to 30 years ago, and returned recently to have an evening meal with friends.

The range of beers being served was wide ranging, and had a few obscure brews, which i always find interesting.

The food was a real surprise. the menu had some rare finds including rabbit! I chose the liver and bacon, and it was fantastic. Cooked well, a little pink in the middle, and served in a lovely bacon and mushroom sauce.

I actually had liver and bacon in a Marcus Wareing restaurant a few days later - at nearly three times the price, and would choose the White Lion version every time.

So, great atmosphere, proper local pub, great value and "better than Michelin star food" - how good is that. Thoroughly recommended

2  Thank paul s