“Still excellent and not expensive”
Review of The Jade Garden

The Jade Garden
Ranked #167 of 329 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Still excellent and not expensive”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I have been coming to this restaurant for may years and it never fails to provide excellent Chinese food and wine at reasonable prices. It is not expensive.I cannot imagine where those reviewers, who have suggested that this place is expensive, usually lunch and dine, certainly no quality restaurant in St Albans. Some have suggested that the decor is dated. That is of course a matter of taste, but surely it's what on your plate that counts.We have always found the service friendly and attentive, but never too attentive.This is my second review and has been prompted by some of the later reviews.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Peeweeking

St Albans UK
“over cooked and over served”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Went hoping for a romantic mean with my wife. Interior was a touch old fashioned but adequate. We ordered pretty standard fair. Roast duck was over cooked, as if it was heated up before, it was also not the best meat. Char Sui was also overcooked and a dark brown in colour, like this also had been heated before. Veg was fine and fresh.
The restaurant had three occupied tables and about eight staff on duty, the result was that we could hardly finish a sentence without someone asking us 'is everything OK?' . One waiter seemed to have us in his sight throughout the entire meal - eyes boring into us in case we needed the slightest thing. At his third visit to the table, the manager asked if we wanted more tea, to which we answered " no thanks" but he poured it anyway, explaining that we did not have to drink it if we did not wish to,
Small glass of house wine is £7.50, nothing is cheap here.

• Visited June 2013
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Been going since I was four years old”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This place has been going since I can remember. We used to bunk off school and go for a "business mans lunch deal"
Its a traditional Chinese restaurant. It can get busy and the staff can be a little flustered at times, but they always remember you from your previous visits and in this day and age in my books makes for great customer service when someone remembers you.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank MarkEsq
St Albans
“Not as good as I expected”
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is well know locally as being run by the same person for many many years and supplying good food. We went there as a large party and I can say the staff are very friendly and helpful. The food was good but the owner seemed somewhat grumpy on this occasion. I found that embarrasing as it was my suggestion we all went there and I didn't want their evening spolt. Basically the owner should wise up otherwise he will loose some repeat custom and no one can afford that in tough ecenomic times.

Visited May 2013
“Old School... Relaxed & comfortable!!!”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We went to this restaurant mid week following reviews on TA.

Pleasant greeting as we arrived and promptly shown to a nice window seat and got the drinks ordered.

Decor is abit dated and yes in maybe needs a good update but the restaurant has been under the same ownership for 40 years (Found out after conversation with the owner) and times for everybody has been hard...

Ordered the set meal which after abit of a while trying to decide, first course came promptly... We had the Aromatic duck which was divine!!!

Soups and then main course followed... Would say the food is the normal kind of westernised chinese cuisine but the dishes were freshly cooked, contained lovely flavour and certainly very tasty.

Finished up with Toffee banana and coffee's, all in all my other half and i thought it was great value!

We both fealt relaxed even being that the restaurant wasn't too busy and the staff were very polite and attentive.

I would say it maybe isn't to some people's taste but its honest, seems to be solid and consistent (just before we left a table of 4 came in and over heard their conversation that they had been coming to this place for over 30 years and their ribs they were tucking into hadn't changed abit!!!). We thought that was wonderful.

Bill arrived and paid up, would say it could be expensive depending on what uou order but on the other hand if you o for their set meals you do get the whole package and also we liked that there was no service charge added onto the bill... So of course we left and nice tip due to the good food and service!!!

We shall return soon.