“Stunning”

Ranked #162 of 344 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$12 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN ST ALBANS A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I recently visited here and loved it!! The food was perfect.... The only negative was the staff.. They seemed to have an air of superiority which said, "I work for Jamie Oliver! You can wait" and they made us do just that.. Also £14.80 for two large house whites was a bit stiff!! Beautiful decor too!!

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Had a bresaola salad to start with, my dining companion had asparagus on bruschetta with mozzarella have to say both starters were scrumptious. The mains we opted for were the Spaghetti bolognaise and a Steak with a truffle sauce. I as was curious to see how if the spag bol was better than my own lol and if there was anything different about it. It appeared pretty much like a basic dish but was packed with so much flavour would definitely have it again. Steak dinner was cooked to perfection and was very tender and tasty. Really liked the decor and the fact that you could see the chef's cooking away in the kitchen. Service was great too. Would definitely go again!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Visited Jamie's for the first time last night. Terrible staff on the edge of rude had to ask for drinks after 20 mins took a further 20 mins cold mains with a reheated taste to chips sides forgotten and very over priced plank felt ripped off and disappointed

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Wow! Can't believe the 'average' reviews so felt it necessary to write my own seeing as I'm a frequent visitor to Jamie's (mainly the St Albans restaurant).

My husband and I go there at least every few weeks and I don't think we've ever been disappointed with our meal nor the service - the staff are excellent and the food is delicious and lots of options whether you want picky bits, a small meal or a full meal. The restaurant itself is lovely and if you get one of the outside tables on a warm day then all the better.

The prawn linguine never disappoints and, as you can order a small plate of most of the pastas, then you can justify one of their lovely salads on the side (and for me, the delicious polenta chips which I order with everything!). If you're a gold card member then you also get tasters for everyone in your party every time you visit plus a little something else every now and again which gets loaded onto your card and you can take it whenever you choose - a brilliant deal and costs nothing to join.

I hope that reviewers who were disappointed with their meals bothered to let the restaurant know themselves as I can imagine that they take comments like this seriously and would bother to take action to prevent it happening again.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Went to the restaurant last night and was completely underwhelmed. The pasta crisps are greasy and a meagre portion - the Carluccio ones are far superior.
For starter I had the bresaola salad. A lot of rocket and similar leaves, with 4 slices of bresaola, each on top of a mound of cream cheese. It was unappealing and frankly should have been served with some sort of bread or crispbread to spread the cheese on.
The home made lemonade was a complete con. It was a cordial topped up with soda water with lots of ice. It hadn't been mixed properly, so was tasteless until I put the straw to the bottom of the glass, when it became sickly sweet.
My wife had the Chicken Primavera which was unutterably oily and looked unappetising.
My seared tuna was not seared, and hidden by a mound of green stuff again. There were hints of dissected artichoke, but the portion was again meagre. The polenta chips were ok, but again, very greasy.
Dessert carried on the trend - the smallest scoops of ice cream I've seen in ages, and the honeycomb ice cream had no honeycomb in it.
We arrived at 8.30 by which point they had run out of a number of things on the menu - very annoying.
All in all, not somewhere I would choose to return to. There are MUCH better restaurants in St Albans, and I am surprised that Jamie Oliver allows this devaluation of his brand to continue.