“Great coffee”

Bakehouse
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bakehouse St Albans is an independently owned coffee shop, bakery and eatery located right next door to St Albans Cathedral. We are passionate about creating great seasonal food using local produce and our chefs can be found in the kitchen slavishly concocting great cakes, tarts, quiches, soups, salads, hotpots and using Artisan bread to turn your lunchtime sandwich into something a bit more exciting. We serve our great food with a wide range of drinks including Monmouth Coffee, Luscombe Drinks, Pip Organic childrens juices and an excellent range of wines and beers. Service will come with a smile and a passion for food. Our beautiful and spacious interior is on 2 floors overlooking St Albans Cathedral and we also have a tranquil courtyard garden for when the sun shines. Free WiFi. We are open 7 days a week from breakfast till tea time and we are at the back of Heritage Close (just off High Street). We have high chairs, baby changing and a disabled toilet. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is a lovely cafe - granted its busy and fairly loud however this is only because of how popular it is!
The coffee served is Monmouth - which I love and is much better than your normal chains, have also found out recently that you can buy the whole beans to take away as well. Foodwise I think its really good, a good variety of sweet treats and specials - I would say that the lunch menus tends to be better than breakfast with the Ham Hock on Sourdough and the sausage rolls top of the list. The service can be a little slow but this is a place to stop and take some time out rather than rushing through lunch. It is simple but done well which on a very rainy Saturday afternoon is just what the doctor ordered.

Also with lovely views of the cathedral yet tucked away off of the main high street its a great little place to get away from the shoppers for an hour!

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Great service, coffee, cakes and have to say the best sausages I have eaten for breakfast in a long time.

Friendly and smart, interesting yet simple and delicious menu.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We visited for the first time today at 9am. This is a lovely venue with an attractive enough menu. However, the food was horrible. We had pancakes with maple syrup and bacon, but the pancakes were really unpleasant: they were the size and thickness of scones (have you ever seen a pancake two inches thick?!) and were the texture of raw cake batter in the middle where they hadn't been cooked properly. We struggled to eat them but couldn't. We also had mushrooms on toast: four pieces of mushroom on two slices of bread for £5. Seriously. I couldn't believe what they were serving up for a fiver, when a full English with bacon, sausages, two eggs, tomato, mushrooms and toast at Côte is £7.50. We ordered extra toast at £1 a slice and some scrambled eggs to fill the rumble that was starting in our stomachs. The eggs were advertised as creamy, but when they came that was an understatement. They were so runny that it was a bit like eating egg soup, and they tasted overwhelmingly of butter and cream. Never had scrambled eggs or pancakes that were so awful. The tea and latte were fine though. I wanted to love this place, it being a local business, but I left £20 poorer and still pretty hungry, so I won't be going back.

1  Thank Ticklish_of_London
BakehouseStAlbans, Manager at Bakehouse, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Ticklish_of_London,

I am really sorry that you didn't enjoy your breakfast when visiting us at the weekend, and thank you for the informative feedback. We pride ourselves on delivering great homemade food at good value but obviously on this occasion we fell short of this standard.

If could could contact me at janine@localbakehouse.co.uk I would like to arrange for you to come back in and enjoy a lovely bakehouse breakfast on us.

Kindest regards,

Janine Eaton - Manager

Reviewed 5 February 2014

The Bakehouse is our standard breakfast place on weekends. You've got to love their bread, fruit bowls and coffees. All they need is some French toast on the menu..

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Straightaway the place looked fantastic and despite being busy we found a table quickly. I ordered salmon, eggs, mushrooms on toast and mrs went for the stack of pancakes. Ordered a pot of tea. Our mugs were dirty and had to be sent back. The food was served in very generous portions! To be fair it was delicious! We ate around 11.20am and even till 6pm I was feeling full! One annoying point was the plates that we were served on, they were just too small!! I thought at one point the food was going to slip out as I was cutting it. Made the whole experience a little less satisfying. Would recommend you try though this place out.