“Wonderful al fresco dining next to the Cathedral”
Review of Bakehouse - CLOSED

Bakehouse
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bakehouse St Albans is an independently owned coffee shop, bakery and eatery located right next door to St Albans Cathedral. We are passionate about creating great seasonal food using local produce and our chefs can be found in the kitchen slavishly concocting great cakes, tarts, quiches, soups, salads, hotpots and using Artisan bread to turn your lunchtime sandwich into something a bit more exciting. We serve our great food with a wide range of drinks including Monmouth Coffee, Luscombe Drinks, Pip Organic childrens juices and an excellent range of wines and beers. Service will come with a smile and a passion for food. Our beautiful and spacious interior is on 2 floors overlooking St Albans Cathedral and we also have a tranquil courtyard garden for when the sun shines. Free WiFi. We are open 7 days a week from breakfast till tea time and we are at the back of Heritage Close (just off High Street). We have high chairs, baby changing and a disabled toilet. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We ate here after a wonderful concert in St Albans Cathedral (Verdi's Requiem). This is a newly opened restaurant (an addition to the already successful Bakehouse coffee shop) which offers wonderful courtyard dining right next to St Albans Cathedral. Surely one of the nicest places to eat on a summer night in St Albans. We shared a broad bean and pea bruschetta (a first for me and really yummy) followed by sautéed smoked haddock with fresh vegetables cooked appropriately al dente. A bottle of Sierre Grande pinot noir was a great accompaniment. The staff are friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Altogether a lovely end to a summer evening. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Dr C Mike P

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Came with local friends to this brand new restaurant for dinner. It's just started and boy I think it will be a winner. Firstly the ambience - certainly the internal decor is lovely, but to be able to sit in such a nice garden right in the centre of the city is such a positive (I wish I'd taken a photo of garden with the view of the abbey!). Service was efficient and personable. Food was great. Loved my smoked haddock. And I didn't miss out on a Bakehouse staple - lemon drizzle with compote for desert was deelish! Such a pleasant evening. Next time I'm in town I will be back.

1  Thank Charlotte T
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We actually came here as the pudding stop hadn't been organised enough to get any pastries/food available 40 minutes after opening time. We were so glad we did and it was on our way to the Abbey which we were visiting anyway. I asked for a crispy bacon sandwich, the bread was fresh and the bacon crisp without being burnt. Lovely atmosphere with a mixed crowd of a few families with young children, some tourists and locals. Great welcome from the staff and attentive service. Great choice of homemade cakes, homemade granola, quality coffee. Great location, long may it continue. It deserves to do well.

We will certainly be back with our young son in the holidays.

1  Thank Louise S
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Nice to find such a great alternative to the coffee house chains which threaten to put the independents out of business. Although well tucked away from the main shopping area, the Bakehouse always seems busy, which is a recommendation in itself. Their coffees are excellent and when you're tired of coffee they offer speciality teas, including Earl Grey with lemon, a favourite of mine. On top of that their wide selection of cakes, pastries and savouries are always fresh and delicious, and the staff are friendly and welcoming.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stopped going to The Bakehouse a while back because I got so angry at the number of buggies blocking access to tables, so I was delighted today to see a sign asking parents to kindly use the downstairs section. It's the ideal solution for parents who want to enjoy great food and coffee in a lovely setting, and for people without children who want to enjoy a more relaxed, quieter atmosphere. The Bakehouse offers delicious food, though my friend said the croissants were expensive compared to other local cafés. As it was such a lovely Sunday morning, we sat outside in the sun, but be warned that conversation will be constantly interrupted by the Abbey's loud church bells. Nevertheless, I shall happily return as I'd much rather support a quality independent establishment over a formulaic chain outlet any day.