“Great food & friendly staff”
Review of Number 23

Number 23
Ranked #13 of 344 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Great food and a warm welcome, tucked away just around the corner. The perfect haven, take a break from town.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was looking for a tapas place on the internet to eat in St Albans and came across this place. Was really pleased we tried it. All the staff were very friendly and were more than happy to accommodate us when we requested a table move as we were originally sitting right near the kitchen. The food was of really good quality and very tasty. My favourite being the Risotto Balls. It's not traditional tapas but they don't sell it as this, it all has a British take on it but I preferred this. Gorgeous dessert (chocolate brownie) to finish off a very delicious meal. Top marks.
Tip: Great place for couples, first dates or intimate meals with friends. Would not recommend for children.

1  Thank Sonny41108

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I visited Saturday evening. I hope the following comments can be used constructively. Happy for management to contact me.

I booked table for 6 although one of our party took ill at last minute so only 5 of us attended. Restaurant ambience and decor is really great. Lovely setting.

The food is really fantastic.. right up my street and we all enjoyed it. Good value too, and it's a great twist and purely from a food point of view we will be back.

My constructive comments are:
- took a long while for first drinks to be ordered, and the gentleman taking the first order seemed quite distant. It didn't feel friendly.
- we always had to ask for more drinks. I don't like over-attentive service, but we were never approached when glasses (most) were empty and staff maybe could just be a bit more vocal when taking orders.
- i also felt like I offended waiter when I asked (post meal) for the table to be wiped down (sharing tapas with friends can sometimes be a little messy!!).

these are minor grumbles, but all felt service could have been slightly sharper and we didn't feel as welcome as we would have hoped. But the food alone is worth returning for :)

2  Thank Leleuvia
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We went on a Friday night and were lucky to get a table. It has a lovely atmosphere simply furnished with style and friendly staff. The food is Spanish in style using English options. We chose 6 tapas dishes for two of us which were very rich. But everything did taste like it had been heated up and deep fried. In particular the chicken and chorizo was dry and chewy. In contrast the sticky sausage was delicious. Choose your selection carefully so you have a balance. With a bottle if wine and sparkling water our meal came to £50 which was reasonable To be honest I wouldn't rush back.

1  Thank Nibs W
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely great place. Good food for a good price tucked away in a lovely location. Food is tapas style, in essence different "side" dishes but each one is cooked with care.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Number 23 is a great find. Tucked away off the beaten path in a little courtyard in St. Albans, it's a welcome contrast to most of the chain restaurants on offer locally. Food was really tasty - especially enjoyed the scotch egg! Would definitely recommend.