“Still great after a few visits ”
Review of Number 23

Number 23
Reserve with OpenTable
Number 23 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 336 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Great food and a warm welcome, tucked away just around the corner. The perfect haven, take a break from town.
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Went to No 23 again as a party of 4. Very good service, quick and friendly. Romanian wine was also very good. Food to a very high standard - 8 dishes between the 4 of us was perfect.

1  Thank JohnPMac
There are newer reviews for Number 23

Reviewed 31 July 2014

It takes a lot to divert me from my traditional curry before seeing a band in St Albans, but we fancied a change, and, given the TripAdvisor rating, I was expecting great things from Number 23. Initial impressions weren't good. We were ushered into a room that contained a table of about 14 people who were having a very loud private party. It took a good 10 minutes before we were even offered drinks and a menu, probably because the private party seemed to put a bit of a strain on their staff. We were then told what they'd run out of, which, as luck would have it, was some of what we wanted. We ordered a couple of beers which were rather warm. When the food arrived, most of it was well presented and reasonably tasty, particularly the Sticky Sweet Sausages and Chicken & Chorizo, but the portions were tiny and I didn't feel that I'd had a decent meal. It certainly didn't live up to what I'd expected

Sorry to say Number 23, but I think it's back to a curry next time.

2  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was looking for a tapas place on the internet to eat in St Albans and came across this place. Was really pleased we tried it. All the staff were very friendly and were more than happy to accommodate us when we requested a table move as we were originally sitting right near the kitchen. The food was of really good quality and very tasty. My favourite being the Risotto Balls. It's not traditional tapas but they don't sell it as this, it all has a British take on it but I preferred this. Gorgeous dessert (chocolate brownie) to finish off a very delicious meal. Top marks.
Tip: Great place for couples, first dates or intimate meals with friends. Would not recommend for children.

1  Thank Sonny41108
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I visited Saturday evening. I hope the following comments can be used constructively. Happy for management to contact me.

I booked table for 6 although one of our party took ill at last minute so only 5 of us attended. Restaurant ambience and decor is really great. Lovely setting.

The food is really fantastic.. right up my street and we all enjoyed it. Good value too, and it's a great twist and purely from a food point of view we will be back.

My constructive comments are:
- took a long while for first drinks to be ordered, and the gentleman taking the first order seemed quite distant. It didn't feel friendly.
- we always had to ask for more drinks. I don't like over-attentive service, but we were never approached when glasses (most) were empty and staff maybe could just be a bit more vocal when taking orders.
- i also felt like I offended waiter when I asked (post meal) for the table to be wiped down (sharing tapas with friends can sometimes be a little messy!!).

these are minor grumbles, but all felt service could have been slightly sharper and we didn't feel as welcome as we would have hoped. But the food alone is worth returning for :)

2  Thank Leleuvia
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We went on a Friday night and were lucky to get a table. It has a lovely atmosphere simply furnished with style and friendly staff. The food is Spanish in style using English options. We chose 6 tapas dishes for two of us which were very rich. But everything did taste like it had been heated up and deep fried. In particular the chicken and chorizo was dry and chewy. In contrast the sticky sausage was delicious. Choose your selection carefully so you have a balance. With a bottle if wine and sparkling water our meal came to £50 which was reasonable To be honest I wouldn't rush back.

1  Thank Nibs W