“Really interesting eatery”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
“Really interesting eatery”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had brunch here and it was really delicious. The service was excellent. Staff made us feel that we were the only people in the place, though actually it was quite full. Coffee was first class, and there is a host of interesting things to look at while there. Really nice food items to buy, too. This was our second visit in a year (we are not locals) and won't be our last.

• Visited July 2014

England, United Kingdom
“Saved by the Bill!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

After my last disastrous choice of eatery, the pressure was on me not to mess up again. And in neighboring St Albans, I had the chance to redeem myself.

I've regularly walked past 'Bill's' on my way to some place or other without ever stopping there. Tonight, I gave the gang a choice. It's our usual St Albans haunts or we could try this other place that doesn't look bad.

So, in we went. Being met at the door by welcoming staff is always a good start. Our man, Shaun, sat us down in a cosy little cubby and took our order. Junior thought that he was cool.

The restaurant itself was relaxed and understated. Pet hate for me is those establishments who insist on cramming another table in. 'Bill's' isn't like that. Consolidates the good start. The eclectic choice of tunes was just as agreeable.

Forgoing the starters, we jumped straight into the mains. Junior went for his fave Mac and Cheese, the Missus chose risotto and I decided not to pussyfoot about and headed straight towards the part of the menu that said Sirloin Steak. While we were waiting for our meals, Junior accidentally spilled his apple juice. Our man Shaun mopped it up in a jif and considerately refilled his glass.

All was looking peachy. But then...a speed bump. When the mains arrived, the risotto was forgotto! An adult portion of mac and cheese was delivered instead. When this mistake was pointed out, this was where 'Bill's' staff really came into their own.

Shaun, his colleagues and the manager came over and were incredibly apologetic, telling us that the risotto would be winging its way to our table within 4 mins. Not only that but the dish would be taken off the bill for their mistake. And true to their word, it arrived pronto and gratis.

All three mains were wolfed in record time, the steak being far superior to the fare on offer in the appalling steakhouse in Winchester, Sunday. And the peppercorn sauce was just right. Not overpowering but with whole peppercorns and not bland.

Dessert? Twist our arm...OK, I accept our upper limbs didn't take a lot of twisting! Lemon drizzle cake was simply ace as was the very large pot of English breakfast tea and the fresh mint infusion ordered by the Missus.

When 'Bill's' bill arrived, the manager had not only taken off the risotto but the desert and the service charge too. Very kind. The staff made amends for the 'minor' mistake and couldn't have done more to make our experience a pleasant and memorable one.

In summary, from nowhere, 'Bill's' has moved into our top 3 'go to' restaurants in the area.

It really was that good.

Essex, United Kingdom
“Good food , great ambience”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Visiting family who took us to Bills for lunch. Was superb, great food served in a great atmosphere with rustic charm.
Good menu with some great food choices!
Waiter was really friendly without being overbearing, we were quite demanding customers, but nothing was too much trouble!
Only wish we had a Bill's local to us!

Visited August 2014
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Great First Visit”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was my first visit to Bill's and it wont be my last. The Restaurant wasn't packed, even though my visit was at lunchtime. Waiting staff very friendly and helpful. Lovely atmosphere. We had a window seat so we could see the coming and going of shoppers/office workers, great way to spend a lunch! The food was lovely and plentiful, I'm typing this at 18.19 and I'm still full from lunch. Can definitely recommend the Cod Fish Finger Sandwich. Looking forward to my next visit.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely birthday brunch”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were a party of 8 (+baby) who visited this branch of Bills for the first time yesterday. We were all really impressed. Staff were friendly and the food delicious. Most of us had the 'full english' and a couple had pancakes. We loved the atmosphere, it was very busy and there was a real buzz. Quality of food was excellent. We will definitely return.