“Disappointing Food ....”

The Brasserie at Sopwell House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Brasserie at Sopwell House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 344 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$25 - US$46
Cuisines: European, Central European, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Brasserie at Sopwell House offers all-day dining in a relaxed, contemporary and vibrant environment yet in contrast is located inside a historic Georgian country house.The sophisticated yet laid back atmosphere is perfect for entertaining clients or relaxing with friends and family. The Brasserie was refurbished in 2008 to combine an expanded dining area that seamlessly couples with the kitchen space. Classic dishes are served alongside daily specials inspired by global cuisine with breakfast and lunch served buffet-style, and dinner chosen from an a la carte or set menu.The Brasserie at Sopwell House is open for breakfast from 6:30am to 10:00am Monday to Friday and 8:00am to 10:30am on the weekend. Opening hours for lunch are 12:00 noon to 3:00pm Monday to Friday and from 12:30pm on the weekend. Dinner is served between 7:00pm and 10:00pm daily.There is no dress code at the Brasserie to ensure that all guests are comfortable and relaxed.
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Met up with some friends for dinner who were staying at the Hotel. They said their room was lovely and the service good. They had also had a Spa Break here. The Hotel is beautiful inside and out, so we were expecting something special. I had the Vegetable Curry which was quite nice, but everyone else said their main was bland and tasteless. I ordered the Sopwell Cheesecake which looked like it was from a supermarket value range, and tasted of nothing. We were all so disappointed. It's not cheap to stay here, a standard double is about £114 per night, so it's a pity the Brasserie lets this hotel down. I don't think our friends would stay here again and neither would we.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Booked a table for 12 to celebrate a birthday. It all started with the drinks. One lager ordered - delivered warm. Couple of bitters ordered - two bottles of guinness delivered. Assumed they were out of bitter. Guinness poured rapidly by waiter, 1 cm of beer, the rest froth; no clue how Guinness should be poured ! Oh, and guinness was straight from the fridge. Couple of pimms @ lemonades ordered - tasteless + no cucumber or strawberry in the drinks.

Later on ordered Directors as they were listed on the menu. These were delivered cold; never got to the bottom of why Guinness was delivered first time around.

Now on to the food. Chicken Bhuna was very good. Steak was as tough as old boots + had to request steak knives. Burger was 'ok'.

Overall a disappointment - nice place, promised a lot but did not deliver a memorable evening.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I rang and booked this for my friend's 50th for lunch. I explained as it was a special birthday I did not want the buffet or just sandwiches. When we arrived, we asked to have cocktails first and could they confirm the table. It was complete confusion - they first offered us a table for afternoon tea, then when we went into the brasserie, they told us it was only buffet then changed their minds but the table wasn't ready so we sat in the terrace bar until it was. Having waited another 10 minutes I went and asked again and they said our table had been given away but then the supervisor came over and said no it hadn't! We eventually got sat but waited a further 10 minutes for the wine to be brought over that we had ordered whilst waiting in the terrace bar and then a further 10 minutes before they came and took our food order. Even the Manager came over as he could see we were getting a little frustrated with all the waiting around but no compensation or complimentary drink even was offered.
When we eventually got our food, it was lovely both main course and desserts but I am afraid the complete confusion and lack of good service let it down. We also asked if it was ok to take our dessert out on the terrace as it was such a nice afternoon which they agreed to but then kept chasing us for the payment as though we were going to run away, which I found very offensive and I did say this to the young lady when they forced me to go in to pay! It did spoil the occasion and my friend was upset by their attitude too, which is not pleasant when you are trying to help someone celebrate a special occasion.
It was a nice meal and we eventually had a pleasant afternoon but this was not down to the hotel just friends making the best of an awkward situation.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I went last night for my boyfriend's birthday and found it to be very enjoyable. The service was impeccable, the food was very nice, very hot and tasty and the bill at the end was very very good value. 3 courses, wine and coffee £60 for the two of us !
It has a nice atmosphere and the staff can't do enough for you, added to that it's in a beautiful setting and is certainly different from going to a restaurant in a busy high street. Feels very serene and luxurious. Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank abbie b
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I attended Sopwell house on a monday night in June. I went with as treat for my partner who's birthday was on that day.
Sopwell House seemed like the sort of place that I could wine and dine her and really give her a treat. From the outside it looked beautiful. A lovely driveway and a very open front.
However the signposts are very misleading. We had to go to the reception to actually find out where we were going.
Coming up to the reception you are met by big glass windows (which were very very dirty, a little touch that I feel should be picked up upon.)
The lady at reception was very friendly and more than happy to help.
We walked down a corridor which is covered in sports memorabilia. For me I felt like a boy let loose in a sweet shop.
Then we got to the Brasserie itself. We were greeted by a gentleman in a suit who was friendly enough and sat us at our table, gave us our menu's and took our drinks orders.
The service was more than quick enough and was very efficient.
We both had the soup to begin, and it was probably the best soup I have ever tasted.
I then had the burger for mains. Once again this was very nice however a little dry. Maybe some mayo in the bun wouldn't go a miss.
My Partner being a vegetarian had a choice between Penne Pasta and a Curry. (not much choice there.) However, she chose the pasta and said it was to die for.
Finally as it was her birthday I requested a birthday plate to be bought over.
This was a very very nice touch from the staff.
The creme brullee presented on a plate with Happy Birthday written on the edge in chocolate, with a birthday candle sticking out of it.
She was more than impressed by it and thought it was brilliant.
The overall pricing of the food is not too bad either. We both had 3 course, a bottle of wine and a glass of champagne each and the bill came to just over £100.
However for me one thing lacking was the customer service.
There was no customer staff relation between the two. Not once did they check on us to see if everything was okay and whether the food was fine.
Working in the hospitality industry myself and working in an establishment very similar to this, I know the need for the relationship.
This is the only reason I have marked it down. I just think the little relationship to make it much more relaxed. It's always nice to go out and have a waiter or waitress who is more than willing to talk and is more than willing to do everything possible to make sure that your night is tip top.
Some may say that that is a petty thing to mark down, however I think that it is one of the main attributes to a restaurant.