“No.7 (The Albany) still coming up trumps”
Review of No7 Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

No7 Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: No7 Restaurant was launched under new ownership in June 2013. No7 Restaurant offers Modern European Cuisine. The food is prepared with a well defined range of cooking methods aiming to provide a balanced menu with a variety of seasonal products and ingredients. The food is served in a friendly and relaxed environment. We are able to accommodate parties, celebrations & weddings no matter how large or small. We also cater for private dining & business functions.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Was sad to receive an email from No.7 restaurant & bar saying that they were closing down. We've been going since it was The Albany and could never work out why they had to offer such big discounts to attract customers as their food and service was so good. I guess the location was just off the beaten track enough to discourage punters.

So we booked for one last time and had another great meal. So good that we'll try and sneak in another before it closes. That loin of lamb was truly great!

My only gripe has ever been that the menu does not change enough. The waiter tells me they're close to getting a lease at another venue, so hopefully it will continue.

The food is great - what I would describe as Masterchef food. A good selection of wine, and some good puddings. Cheese board is a little unadventurous, but I suppose they need to cater for all tastes.
The service has always been impeccable. Sometimes the starters can come out a little too fast, but I'm not complaining.

2  Thank jsmi
There are newer reviews for No7 Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had a really nice meal here on a Saturday night. The staff were welcoming, and there was a special offer on which meant we were able to enjoy 3 courses for £25 which is really good value for the standard of food. The Gravadlax with fennel & orange salad was nicely presented; the Flaked ham hock was delicious. The Roasted tenderloin of lamb with basil mash, tomato & olive compote was outstanding, and the seabass cooked to perfection. And we shared a bowl of chips: the first one I tasted got 10/10 which is a score I do not give lightly. The rest varied between 9 and 10. These people care about food, and it shows in their cooking. Rhubarb sorbet was sweet and tart all at once and really refreshing, and Catalan creme brulee rich, creamy and delicious. There were no problems with me not being able to have anything with gluten or dairy in; the staff were more than helpful in enabling me to have a choice of food.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

After the many 'chain' restaurants this small independent offers a very welcomed change. The special rate offered for 2 or 3 courses provides excellent value. Home made bread, a good selection of starters and main courses pave the way for home made ice cream and other puddings. The duck main course is particular good and 3 flavours of ice cream a perfect finish. Following a number of visits I can report consistently good food and service at a reasonable price.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Very busy Saturday evening, lovely ambience and great buzz. Service was delicate and efficient. Great food at very reasonable price, wine list was varied and well priced.

1  Thank james m
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked this Restaurant using TopTable online as we wanted to go out to eat but on a Saturday in St Albans, that is never an easy thing to do unless previously booked. Perhaps the fact that we could get a table so easily might have warned us but we were glad to get a booking.

The restaurant itself was a bit of a mixed bag. The service was attentive and excellent but the decor and ambience left us thinking we were back in the 1990's. Strangely all the diners already eating were in the back room which is where we were seated leaving the front half of the restaurant empty and waiting for a large group to appear as the tables had all been put together. In any other restaurant the big party would surely have been put in the back room leaving the front full of tables of 2's and 4's making it look busy!

The service was very quick and our meal was conducted at such a pace for a Saturday evening that we were paid up and out in just over an hour! Not a basis for relaxation. The food was nice without being great and the menu was small and didn't really provide a great deal of choice. All in all a bit of a shame but I can't think that we will be trying it again any time soon, in spite of the fact that we got a 25% discount due to a special offer.