“Totally ruined !”
Review of The Snug Bar

The Snug Bar
Ranked #160 of 344 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Gastropub
Description: Located in the historic centre of St Alban's in the Fleur De Leys, the Snug Bar in St Alban's offers something for everyone in a unique listed building steeped in history. The bar has its own special way to entertain everyone. If you want to escape the world and grab yourself a relaxed leisurely lunch, then drop in and enjoy our £5.95 Lunchtime menu - it's a little slice of Snug luxury in the middle of your day and runs from 10am until 5pm, Monday to Friday all year round. If cocktails are more your thing then join us at the bar for our 2-4-1 cocktail happy hour on all of Snug favourites from the past 8 years. Happy Hour runs from 3pm until 7pm every day.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Been a regular here for a long time but ruined due to a recent refurb ! Should change the name from SNUG as it no longer is ! The designer should go back to the A,B,C blocks ! An example is the table on the left as you walk in ! High table, bench seats low and other seats high ! Its not rocket science to see that !

3  Thank Bill K

Reviewed 22 February 2014

My Dad and I visited St Albans when he came up to visit me (I live in Luton, he lives in South London) and decided to pop in here for some lunch.

We sat down in a rather (excuse the pun) snug area of the restaurant but once we were sat down it was comfortable. There is free WIFI in here (always a good thing!) and the also do free re-fills of Coca Cola....which is quite rare as normally it's Pepsi re-fills!

Yes I know I seem to get excited over the silliest of things available in this restaurant but it's nice to be able to go somewhere that does these things.

I had Sausage, mash and gravy which was very flavoursome and my Dad had soup of the day. We both enjoyed the flavour and quality of the food very much.

The lady that served us was on her first day here- she did very well and was charming to talk to.

I don't think it's fair that this place has a one star review on TripAdvisor because actually, it's not that bad. Yes the name suggests it's trying to be trendy and it is very fashionable to advertise burgers costing £10 a go but there is more to this place than fancy burgers and chips. They do other food too!

I have been to some true horrors of places in my time and this isn't one of them- a nice clean dining area (a little on the snug side- but maybe that's what they were going for?!), with decent, affordable food and internet for people on the go. Even my 67 year old father used the WIFI. It's not all about catering for younger, trendy people- it is what you make it and it was a perfect pit stop for hungry visitors!

Thanks!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Take a 16th Century pub on one of the most historic highstreets in the UK. Then decide that it needs rebranding for the "yoof" market and get some marketing executives to decide that what this place really needs is to be called "The Snug" (instead of the Fleur de Lys) and that, if they include an oh-we-are-so-modern "@" symbol in the pub sign, the place will attract "young people". You know, young people who use the internet, when they see that "@" on the pub sign they will feel an uncontrollable urge to come and drink overpriced lager and eat a burger (£9.55) and "chunky" chips (£2.45) - ("chunky" by the way, is modern ripoff-UK speak for "about 8 chips").